Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty sure my OEM original fuel pump finally died.
Was driving on 95 in the fast lane, cruise control on 75 mph and the car just died. The engine just guit ! Started to get over coasting and then it started running again all of a sudden. It ran 3 or so miles and when I got off to go where I was going and it died and wouldn’t start. Tow truck home and still won’t start. Timing belt good. Turns over and kind of pops / misses when I’m trying to start up. Won’t start.
Told it was the fuel pump. I kinda agree.
Where can I get an OEM fuel pump or what should I use to replace the OEM one ?

Cheers
nigel

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mustard Cat,
Hi Cat, need to ask your opinion and help.
91, 5 speed, driving 75 mph with the cruise control, on Interstate 95 down by Palm Beach, it was raining, no big deal, the engine just cut off, instantly! Like some one just shut it off. No weird noises or anything. Getting over to the right lane, coasting to get off the interstate it started running again. I’m stumped. I kept going wondering what happened. Got off the interstate and at the end of the exit ramp, right turn without stopping the engine died again and won’t start again. Had it towed home. 50 miles. It kind of fires on a cylinder or so when i’m cranking to try and start it. Won’t start.
Not the timing belt. It only has 40,000 mi on it and the engine turns over like normal.
Wondering if it sounds like it could be the fuel pump? It’s the original pump so kinda makes sense but I don’t know. Nothing looks abnormal or out of place just from looking it over with a flashlight. No oil drips or anything I can see.
If so where is the best place to get a replacement? Honda doesn't make one I can find so......
Thanks for any help as it’s my only car and I really need it ASAP.
Anyone else that may help it will be appreciated.

Cheers
nigel

·
Memento Mori
7,494 Posts
It would be a good idea to resolder the main relay because it's a common problem and cheap+easy to do:

For the fuel pump they are interchangeable for most Hondas around these years (4th gen Prelude pump will work for example). Rockauto shows DENSO 9510010 as an option, that should be a quality one. This is a video for the pump, shouldn't have to mess with the wiring for a O.E. replacement:

It might be better to confirm it's the pump before throwing parts at it though, because it could also be an ignition problem. If it is quiet out you should be able to hear the pump turn on and run a few seconds when the key is turned to on. It is a faint hum, folding down the rear seat the help to hear it.

If you think it could be a low pressure issue you could try crimping off the return line at the fuel rail to see if the increased pressure makes any difference. Could be weak pump, clogged filter(s), or bad pressure regulator in that case.

I would check that it is getting spark. If not check the rotor, cap, ignitor or coil.

Have someone crank it while you do the "rod to ear" method and listen for clicking from the fuel injectors. If not could it be an issue with the injector resistor box.

Also sometimes the run position of the ignition switch can go bad causing the car to die randomly. You could pop off the switch and look for burnt/toasty wires or plastic.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cat,
I do have a spare, new ignition switch I can install to see if that’s it. I’m familiar with the fuel pump hum when you first turn the key to start the engine. A long time ago I had the main relay done so maybe that went bad as well.
I’ll do some more research and go from there. I’ll let you know what I find.
Thanks.

Cheers
nigel

·
Registered
53 Posts
My money is on clogged fuel filter. My '89 Prelude developed a problem of just dying and then starting ok if I stopped for a minute or two. All it needed was filter replacement. This at over 400K miles and OEM fuel pump. Larger debris particles can be sucked up against the filter during engine operation. When you stop it falls back down but is again picked up. This happened gradually with me but I gather you experienced your stoppage all at once.

Cheap to replace.

Eric the Car Guy stated that Honda fuel pumps rarely go bad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mustard Cat,
Hi Cat, need to ask your opinion and help.
91, 5 speed, driving 75 mph with the cruise control, on Interstate 95 down by Palm Beach, it was raining, no big deal, the engine just cut off, instantly! Like some one just shut it off. No weird noises or anything. Getting over to the right lane, coasting to get off the interstate it started running again. I’m stumped. I kept going wondering what happened. Got off the interstate and at the end of the exit ramp, right turn without stopping the engine died again and won’t start again. Had it towed home. 50 miles. It kind of fires on a cylinder or so when i’m cranking to try and start it. Won’t start.
Not the timing belt. It only has 40,000 mi on it and the engine turns over like normal.
Wondering if it sounds like it could be the fuel pump? It’s the original pump so kinda makes sense but I don’t know. Nothing looks abnormal or out of place just from looking it over with a flashlight. No oil drips or anything I can see.
If so where is the best place to get a replacement? Honda doesn't make one I can find so......
Thanks for any help as it’s my only car and I really need it ASAP.
Anyone else that may help it will be appreciated.

Cheers
nigel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi NIgel I would say that replacing your fuel pump would not be just throwing parts at the car. At 180,000 miles you're over due. These things don't last forever. Ask me how I know. I happen to have a fuel pump from my 4th gen, '94 si . It has about 150 miles on it. I recall paying about $150 for it, could be wrong. No longer have the paper work because I no longer have the car. It died when the timing belt broke after only 17k miles, though it was about 5 years. $50 + shipping and it's yours. Either way, when replacinig the fuel pump always replace the filter as well. Cheap insurance. Even if ti's not the problem, though I think it is, it's one less probable cause of your problem and it is time. And It's a pre-emptive strike against it failing and leaving you stranded again. Good luck, Ben [email protected].

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Ben for the input.
Tried to start it again and all it does is turn over like always and one cylinder pops every few revolutions but no start. Does this sound familiar ? I may need your pump as you said as a pre emotive swap.

cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts