Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91 lude w/2.1 motor. The problem that I'm having is when the fuel level reaches about 1/2 a tank it starts running out of gas. The reason why I know this is when it is acting up, I have unbolted the fuel line coming from the pump at the filter and all that I'm getting is alot of air and spitting fuel. But if I fill the tank up, there is no problem. This is the second new fuel pump in 1 month.

If you can help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
you sure your fuel guage is accurate? next time it gets to a half tank, go to the gas station and fill it up til you cant put any more gas in, and look to see how many gallons of gas it took.

our tanks are 13-13.5 gallons, so if it takes anything more than like 11 gallons, then you really are running out of gas and the guage is wrong lol.

other than that, i dont know why it would be sucking air at half tank.

you did do the right thing (in a way lol) by popping off the fuel line and checking to see if it was spitting constant fuel or if it was giving a lot of air and some fuel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i had the same problem...at least 30litres of fuel left(checked that by emptying the tank), but constant stalling and not starting occurred...the problem was in the little 10cm piece of fuel line INSIDE the tank....it had a crack along the fuel line and when the level of fuel dropped so that the hole was exposed, it started to somehow suck in some air...

but that was a honda accord '86, which is basically the same...

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
mty said:
i had the same problem...at least 30litres of fuel left(checked that by emptying the tank), but constant stalling and not starting occurred...the problem was in the little 10cm piece of fuel line INSIDE the tank....it had a crack along the fuel line and when the level of fuel dropped so that the hole was exposed, it started to somehow suck in some air...

but that was a honda accord '86, which is basically the same...

That is one distinct possibility.
Another is that your prefilter sock (in the tank) is clogged up.

Yet another one is that you have a bunch of gunk in your tank that needs cleaning out.

Our tanks are 15.9 US gallons btw, though the last 1.5 gallons the fuel pump can't pick up if your turning accelerating or braking.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
All hail the 15.9 gallon tank, when you hit E and u think ur out of gas...you got another 40 miles to go. I lived on that for I don't know how long

1 - 7 of 7 Posts