Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first club ever. I'm a very old mechanic. I bought my prelude as parts condition unknown. towed it home. and found the timing belt flopping. set timing and cranked, turned over too fast. checked compression, and only one had any. pulled the valve cover, and found several saddles broken. removed the head, hoping to replace with one of my b18 heads, I thought all b motors were the same- silly me- you know the rest. what I joined to find out is what would be my cheapest repair. can I use the b18 saddles? I read this engine has a lean to clear the hood. what is angled? I have several bent valves. are the valves the same as the b18? springs? or is this a unique head. found no scratches in the cylinders, no ridge, the pistons showed contact, but minimal. should I slap the head back together, or should I look for complete OH. is there another engine that would just bolt up? will the 3.2 v6, or any v6 bolt to the trans? it looks that the hood clearance would favor the v6. any accurate information would be greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for cheap transport. seen several cheap accords, is the prelude suspension able to handle another cradle? axles?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the 3rd gen club. They call it the bastard B motor because no other regular B-series has anything in common with these prelude b20a5/b20a/b21a1 motors. Its completely unique and you will find that the 3rd gen prelude has very little aftermarket support compared to the other hondas around the era. You should join the 3rd gen prelude facebook group because they are more active and post more sale posts. For your situation, I think it would be easiest to find another head at your local junkyard and slap it on. No other engine will bolt up to this car unfortunately. Currently, there is 1funryd performance, who makes swap mounts for both the h22 and b18b series. However, you will also need ecu, wiring harness, shift cables, axles, trans, and the basic swap parts. Be warned, swapping the motor will not be cheap.

·
Premium Member
16,715 Posts
Welcome to the 3rd gen club. They call it the bastard B motor because no other regular B-series has anything in common with these prelude b20a5/b20a/b21a1 motors. Its completely unique and you will find that the 3rd gen prelude has very little aftermarket support compared to the other hondas around the era. You should join the 3rd gen prelude facebook group because they are more active and post more sale posts. For your situation, I think it would be easiest to find another head at your local junkyard and slap it on. No other engine will bolt up to this car unfortunately. Currently, there is 1funryd performance, who makes swap mounts for both the h22 and b18b series. However, you will also need ecu, wiring harness, shift cables, axles, trans, and the basic swap parts. Be warned, swapping the motor will not be cheap.
This is correct.

If you just want cheap, then find another head, If you can. It will not be easy as this is a 30 year old chassis that lost its support in the 90's.

You stated that you want a cheap reliable car, and since you claim to be an experienced mechanic I assume you have not problem fixing broken motors.

Well then, look for another B20a/a5/21a1 locally. That would be your best and cheapest bet.
There are no more JDM motors from engine dealers, these cars are no longer supported. I do support them minimally lately due to the fact it takes older tuners like myself with patience and support to keep the car alive and running.

It takes a real investment into these cars to own them, most kids just give up after 1-3 years of not being easy to fix and maintain the car due to age and lack of support.
When I say lack of support I mean they get tired of waiting for parts and not being able to find parts that are discontinued, and I mean they are really discontinued.

There are no more cranks, oil pumps, water necks, rear water pipes, transmissions, engines, and even no more head part replacements like the caps, or bolts that hold the caps etc.

Good luck and welcome, I think??? lol!!!

I have to add, if you do prefer to do a motor and transmission swap, contact me for more details.
But honestly you can search my name on here and find a lot of threads that I am in by discussion or by starting them.

Check the FAQ section plenty of old information there, be ready to read.
I started my own FAQ and it is in there as a separate link, read up on all the most common and some uncommon threads I put in a searchable format, here is my direct link to it, but search around the main FAQ as you will probably find other threads we have discussed and resolved years ago.

- Performance Upgrades for 3rd Gens!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow! thank you for your prompt reply. I was coming to the same conclusion. but it is good to have confirmation. I read that part of the great handling was the suspension-also unique- do you know if I have to scrap it to use an accord drive train? thank you again. did not know there was a different face book club. will check it out. for now, I am going to see how best to repair the head, put it back together, and see what I have. would you like to know how it went? was my post too detailed? the reason for the detail was to let any who replied know wht I did to get to this point, and if there was something I should have checked as well. at 68, my first club and my first prelude. thanks again. RC.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes... post here to share your progress and what you did, so we all can learn. Some people like me, don't use (or have) Facebook :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts