Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i just got my JDM tail lights from JDM_89LUDER, got a great deal on them too!, there is a slight difference from USDM, just a slight smoke to the white part, anyways, USPS broke one of them so iv got to make a claim and get some insurance money from them... and get another one straight from japan :p

anyways here are some pics of them

and for the broken one, you see my finger coming through? well that piece is falling off, gasket is the only thing holding it on

and yes... i will be drilling new holes instead of replacing that entire back pannel, i will do this asap, need to get a trunk lid first (in the process of doing so)

i beileve i need a new rear bumper too?

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I need to do this swap...the only thing holding me back is the trunk is red. I think the 90-91 bumper lines up better but a buddy of mine used his 88 and it was ok...only the true 3g luder could tell! ;)

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
lol, i think i may need to get a 90-91 bumper... it would bother me every time i saw the little gap... lol

the trunk lid that im getting is brownish (like Bobnovas lude) so im going to do the tail swap, replace the bumper, replace the side trim and start to prep it for paint

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
cgm12mgc said:
lol, i think i may need to get a 90-91 bumper... it would bother me every time i saw the little gap... lol

the trunk lid that im getting is brownish (like Bobnovas lude) so im going to do the tail swap, replace the bumper, replace the side trim and start to prep it for paint
His didn't have the gap...but then again, he didn't have the right trunk lid yet either! lol

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Yea it will close... it just won't look... well, perfect!

I got my tails, although the right one has a small crack, my trunk and my rear bumper already, just need to redrill her but far too many other things to do at this point!

Goodluck

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, yeah im worried about those holes.... i wanted to get a friend with 90-91 to come over and i could take a template of those holes and go from there

but yeah ill take some pics, long day tomorrow... fix an exhaust leak from the downpipe and then on to doing the tails swap

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
seems like he shoulda packaged them better...so your gonna have a newer one on one side i hope u cant tell =X

but they look sexy. as for the gap. i had one and it was so annoying that i bought a whole new trunk lid. but i found a nice one at the junkyard w. a spoiler...

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Nice man! good luck with the swap =) I love the 1990 rear lights!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
deiz91si said:
seems like he shoulda packaged them better...
well when i got the box it looked like someone took a swing at it with a bat so im thinking it had less to do with packaging and more to do with USPS

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The 88-89 bumpers are way diff from the 90-91 cause the 88-89 the back part is a slant and since the 90's have smaller lights they have more of a curve on the bumper and the tail lights sit flush ontop. your going need the harness also to rewire the lights. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I hate to tell you there is alot more involved with installing those tails on a 88-89 than drilling a few holes, you must bash the shit out of the inside on the trunk to get them to sit flush. you must cut out the taillight hole a few inches with a cut off wheel. you must use all the wiring harness, circuit board and lights from the 88-89 as the 90-91 plugs are diffeent. If you want them to fit nice you are going to have to take your time because its a pain.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
bkl89 said:
I hate to tell you there is alot more involved with installing those tails on a 88-89 than drilling a few holes, you must bash the shit out of the inside on the trunk to get them to sit flush. you must cut out the taillight hole a few inches with a cut off wheel. you must use all the wiring harness, circuit board and lights from the 88-89 as the 90-91 plugs are diffeent. If you want them to fit nice you are going to have to take your time because its a pain.
I am trying to figure out why you are so negative on things. :Rock: It's aint THAT hard doing the conversion. You just gotta have a little more than a half-assed idea of what you are doing. Cause it's just a long process not hard. Patience is the key.

The most efficient way is t do it it like Chris.nl....just do the whole back part, de-weld it out whatever, get the 90-91 sheet metal, tack weld it back on, get the new bumper and trunk lid and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
butterthegreat said:
The most efficient way is t do it it like Chris.nl....just do the whole back part, de-weld it out whatever, get the 90-91 sheet metal, tack weld it back on, get the new bumper and trunk lid and be done with it.
i would get the new back piece however... thats real expensive to buy, de-weld... re-weld on the new one ect... im just going to drill and cut new holes in the existing one then im going to replace the rear bumper and trunk lid, along with the side trim so it doesnt look all off

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Even if you were to buy a new rear piece, where would you get it? Because if I could find new rear quarter panels along with this rear piece I might just consider the extra work to make 1/2 of a new Prelude...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
why would you put on new quarter panels? those diddnt change, only thing that changed was the mounting plate, trunk lid and bumper cover, everything else is the same

and there is a honda site that you can still get everything for our cars Brand new

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
He probably has the rust issue common on the quarter panels. I know I do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts