Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to get some info on putting a 8 inch wide wheel on my 5th gen. Before anyone gets crazy I have seen the wheel info sticky. I know putting an 8 inch wheel on my car will be chalenging but it has been done before, that being said I'm willing to make it work. The specs on the wheel are 16x8 with a 45 offset. I have read on other threads before that if for any reason ppl are gonna run a 8 inch wide wheel the best possible offset would be 45. My car is moderatly dropped ( check out the green car in the photo section miami is ftw photoshoot). The only thing is that its a 16" wheel but I guess I can run meaty tires to elimanate wheel gap. What tires do you recomend since this is more of a difficult wheel set up. I know this can be done because I've seen another 5th gen run 8's in the front and 9's in the rear. So all you wheel guru's please give me some advise. Thanks for looking
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Well I am running a 17x8 +45 with 215/45R17 and it doesn't rub a thing, not even close really. The wheel size isn't the big deal, it's what size tire you put on it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
8in doesnt sound impossible at all... just get the lowest offset possible to help clear the innerside of the wheel well...

im running 205's on a 7.5in rim on my 4th gen... used to have 225's... both worked out fine. deffinetly felt a loss in traction dropping widths though.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well I am running a 17x8 +45 with 215/45R17 and it doesn't rub a thing, not even close really. The wheel size isn't the big deal, it's what size tire you put on it.
i also have the same setup with an eibach prokit i had a little rub on the rear bumper but nothing the dremel couldn't fix

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
16x8 you won't need to even consider rolling the fenders, the dremel is used to shave down the annoying rear bumper tab that sticks almost an inch from the fender. You won't have to worry about hitting the inside of the wheel well at +45 so that shouldn't be an issue either.

The only thing that stinks about 16 inch wheels is you have very little tire selection anymore. Most makers make a few 16 inch sizes but they are just the stock sizes (like the 205/50R16) so changing the sizing around will offer you limited selection. You're problem is going to be that a 205/50R16 will not safely fit on an 8 inch rim so that size is out of the question. My advice would be to get a 17x8 +45 OR if you really have your heart set on a 16x8 run a 215/45R16, 215/50R16 or if you really want some tire a 225/45R16. If it were my setup I would go for the 225/45R16 because it will not only stick/handle better, but look better in the process. A 215/45or50R16 is going to look really stretched and probably not preform that well because of the fact that sidewall is being "wrapped" around the wheel whereas a 225 will look better and be much better off when if comes to the sidewall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts