Honda Prelude Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah that's why I mentioned it goes on for that long or longer. The amount of time in the video is pretty short like you said.

The lights to the right of the gauge cluster are the transmission being in park indicator and the parking brake indicator, which should be on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The replacement EGR valve is being installed today. I will confirm if that helps the starting when I get the car back.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Starts up quick now. Nice job! Was that after the car had sat and cooled off for a while? Mine starts that quickly if I re-start it after it's only been sitting for a couple of minutes. After sitting overnight it cranks for 6 to 8 revolutions before starting. Maybe I'll look into what's causing that on my car. At the very least I'll check the EGR to see if it's causing my problem. I guess I haven't really worried that much about it since it's not my daily driver. But seeing your video has motivated me to look into it. Let us know if the problem comes back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
That was after it had been sitting for maybe 20 minutes. I will try it when I get home from work today, and it will have been sitting for almost 18 hours.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
It started up quickly yesterday afternoon, but this morning when I took it to work, it sat there and cranked for a good 4-5 seconds. Ugh. I'm running out of ideas as to why this is happening. I guess I'll look into the fuel pump next.

It doesn't shudder nearly as much when starting now, at least. But it still takes too long to start.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
It is possible that the other relay you used was bad. To put an end to this- when your lude is having trouble starting, smack the coin tray while turning the ignition- if it immediately starts- main relay IS 100% the issue- Go to junkyard, does junkyard relay smell burnt? no? use it. (exactly what I did to solve my ludes starting issues) Install takes minutes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
It seems like smacking the dash in that area does help it start. But the relay is brand new, so I don't understand how it could be bad? I could try re-soldering the old one, or even the new one, to see if it helps, but you'd think a new one wouldn't have this issue.

Someone at a meet the other day told me it may also be the ignition or wiring going to it, but I'm not sure how plausible that is.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have tried tapping the top of the steering column, instead of the coin door area, when starting and this seems to help it start much faster. So I don't think the main relay is the actual problem. It would seem it is ignition-related, or at least I would think so.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did you fixed your issue yet. Mine used to do the same thing and it was actually the fuel sending unit ...When left overnight it would drain all the gas back to the tank which made it have rough starts after pressing on the pedal for like 30 seconds it would work great....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
It ended up being the ignition switch. I had it replaced. The one they pulled out had some kind of aftermarket harness spliced into it which I believe was the culprit.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts