Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! I got the ball rolling for us guys that have an 88 S model preludes at Rywire. I've been talking to Ryan Basseri and he said that he has never done this before so i get to be the guinea pig. SWEET! i like to be first, i hate sloppy seconds. I hope that this will help future JDM H22A swaps. He told me that it will take a while but i'm in no hurry. NOT!! but, hey, i'll wait because i want it to be right. I'll keep you guys posted on how this goes. Keeping my fingers cross.

EDIT: Engine Start up on page 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
16,660 Posts
Hey guys! I got the ball rolling for us guys that have an 88 S model preludes at Rywire. I've been talking to Ryan Basseri and he said that he has never done this before so i get to be the guinea pig. SWEET! i like to be first, i hate sloppy seconds. I hope that this will help future JDM H22A swaps. He told that it will take a while but i'm in no hurry. NOT!! but, hey, i'll wait because i want it to be right. I'll keep you guys posted on how this goes. Keeping my fingers cross.

Make sure to post up big clear pictures of that harness for everyone to see, because having the S model ludes join the H22 craze is going to be sweet!!!!!:bigsmile:

Sean

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a really good camera so i will do my best to get the pictures on here so that everyone can see them. I can't wait. I know this is going to be one heck of a job. but it's worth it to have the S model going "H" crazy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since i have a 88 S model, which is carbed and i'm switching over to a JDM H22A which is Fi, i was wondering if i have to switch out the interior harness?

I've been looking at the manual for the 88 Si and it shows a PGM-FI relay which controls the fuel delivery. it communicates with the stock ECU to supply enough pressure in the main fuel rail to supply the injectors, so the engine starts, the ECU re-applies the ground to the second relay and the fuel pump runs continuously from then on. i take it that my p13 ECU will not be able to function correctly with-out a PGM-FI?

Any help will be greatly welcomed

thanks

Steve

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great, i'm just glad this is not my DD. well, it looks like my Lude will be out of commission for a while then. I'm going to have to find a interior harness then. I thought that i might be able to get a PGM-FI and run wires from it to the ECU because from what i saw in the electrical diagrams. I know i have to switch out the fuel pump, which i have a new fuel pump. return lines, not a problem. Oh well, i'll see what Rywire has to say when they get done with my engine harness.

thanks for the heads up DAAMANNN

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey, that's why this is my project car. i'll post more on this project as i progress along. thank you for all input, either negitive or positive.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, i'm finding out that this is not going to be an easy task. i've been doing tons of research about this project, study wiring diagrams and talking to Ryan. By the way, the 88' S engine harness is not easy to do a switch. as a mater of fact, it's not possible from what i'm finding out. Ryan said that he could rig up a racing harness but I would still have to do tons of rewiring. so I got on the phone and called around looking for a 90-91 Si engine harness and interior harness. Just my luck I found a place in W.V. called Woodfin Auto Parts, 1-888-371-1790 and i talked to Billy, not sure about his last name but he is a pretty cool guy. He was able to track down what i was looking for and at a reasonable price. I'm getting the throttle body (only for the TPS) vacuum can, engine harness and interior harness for only $480.00. Sweet find. It turns out this is one of the biggest Honda salvage yards in USA. The best things is, I didn't have to go to the junk yard and tear it out myself. Also by going this route Ryan said that it is going to be cheaper now since i'm getting a Si harness that is obd1 instead of obd0. It was going to cost me around $500 bucks plus going though all the rewiring, now the harness conversion is only going to cost me around $150 and still some rewiring. Hey, save some money one place but cost me in another place. So you guys out there with the S model carbed version ludes be prepared to shell out some bucks if you are wanting to change over to the H22A. I'm already up to:

$180.00 --- 90 Si interior Harnness
$200.00 --- 90 Si engine Harnness
$55.00 --- 90 Si TB (I needed the TPS, broken also)
$25.00 --- 90 Si Vacuum tank (mine was broken)
$20.00 --- shipping (sweet deal)
$1850.00 --- JDM H22A +400.00 shiped to my door (included ECU, Tranny, Harness, Downpipe with O2 sensor) less then 30,000 miles on it.

Thanks to DAAMANNN for his write up on switching over from S to Si, i've learned a lot. I just could not find a Si donor car like he did though.

I'll keep adding to this write-up as i get futher along, now to play the waiting game. (money and parts)

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
i have a S model and i know its going to suck cause u have to change everything over....keep us updated cause hopefully this winter i will be doin the h22a swap in my type s so .... keep updating :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll keep posting everything that i can and come across in this project. Any input is always welcome. As for the motor mounts, i have a few ideas of my own. I've been looking at those mounts from AZ RAce and i like them a lot but seeing I'm head of engineering of a sheetmetal fabrication co, I'm looking at comming up with a way to make the stock mounts of the H22A work with the Lude. Yes aluminum is nice but steel is cheaper. What i had in mind was to be able to powder coat them to any color that you want. Does anyone else like this idea?

Also one other idea would be to make an adjustable mounting bracket for the alternator. Just an idea.

When I get more along in this project I'll post some pics for everyone to see.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Premium Member
16,906 Posts
I'll keep posting everything that i can and come across in this project. Any input is always welcome. As for the motor mounts, i have a few ideas of my own. I've been looking at those mounts from AZ RAce and i like them a lot but seeing I'm head of engineering of a sheetmetal fabrication co, I'm looking at comming up with a way to make the stock mounts of the H22A work with the Lude. Yes aluminum is nice but steel is cheaper. What i had in mind was to be able to powder coat them to any color that you want. Does anyone else like this idea?

Also one other idea would be to make an adjustable mounting bracket for the alternator. Just an idea.

When I get more along in this project I'll post some pics for everyone to see.

Bring the alternator down lower and closer to the H22... and fab up a Power Steering bracket so that we could use either the stock pump or the H22 pump!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bring the alternator down lower and closer to the H22... and fab up a Power Steering bracket so that we could use either the stock pump or the H22 pump!!
I was thinking about doing something like that as I go along with this swap. Thanks for the idea Team123luder.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, i just got the wiring harnness's in and while looking them over i found out that i am still missing a major part of the whole build, hmm oh yeah, i need the PGM-FI, now that would be a little important don't you think. so i got on the phone and called up Billy at Woodfins. cool dude. he said that he was sorry, naturally. that's cool, he was going to go check on something and while he's at it he was going to get me a injector resistor. hey, i might need that. well i knew, but was waiting on some money to flow my way. Screw it, i'll use the old credit card. i don't recomend using one of those things but in my case, i'll do it. He also threw in a charcoal canister for free. FREEBIES RULE!! even though it was a cheesy charcoal canister, it was still free.

I'll be sending Ryan my new/used harnness this friday so he can get my blood vessels for the H22A in proper working condition.

More to come as I progress.

Sorry no pics yet. Really nothing to see.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
actuallly for the S the cheepest way is to just pull the harness off a 93+ H22a lude strip off the wires you don't need and stick the rest into the car! while the dash is out install the fuel line.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Stereo. It's just a little too late now. Dam! oh well, like i've said before, this is my project car and not my DD thank goodness.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good news!!!!! I heard from the guys at Rywire and my harnness is in the mail. I will take pics as soon as i get it.

More to come.

Peace

1 - 20 of 410 Posts