Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
65 Posts
Tow it to a mechanic or sell it as is. A timing belt change is not something you should attempt if you're not experienced fixing cars.

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
Well it depends on what you want to do now doesn't it?
Keep it and fix it or sell it and move on.

I say time to swap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Its not just a timing belt replacement. When it happened to me it also bent 2 exhaust valves. So its it's likely you'll have to pull the head, replace/lap valves, replace the the timing belt. It's doable, there is a you tube video series that walks you through the timing belt replacement. The 3rd gen technician's manual is online that will get you through pulling the head. If it's a backup ride, go for it and learn. 4 years ago my cost for parts/gaskets and tools was $300.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it depends on what you want to do now doesn't it?
Keep it and fix it or sell it and move on.

I say time to swap.
i want to keep it but i havent had cash for anything in 3 years i goot the parts but i dont have the tools been hard to find a job when u cant get anywhere and i paid for h22 swap the guy closed up shop took 2 years to find him and get me 6k back

·
Registered
197 Posts
Given your circumstance, you have three options right now:

1. Do nothing

2. Fix it yourself

3. Get it towed for scrap

If you can't have it sitting there anymore then try and fix it yourself. If you fuck it up it doesn't matter because you'll still get the same amount for it if it gets towed for scrap.

You really need a torque wrench to do timing belt but I think you could get away without one with hand tools - I'm guessing you have hand tools. Replacing the timing belt is easy because the shop manual is available and it is just a matter of following step by step instructions. Be sure you align your cam sprockets with piston 1 at TDC. If you don't get this right you'll fuck your car, but as I said, you have nothing to lose so give it a shot.

Oh, I forgot to mention, getting off the crankshaft pulley bolt is going to be a bitch. Look into the rope hack. If you do the rope hack, maybe sure you fill the piston with synthetic rope that is ~1cm thick and that it you fill it with the piston BDC before the compression stroke. You will be able to figure out BDC before the compression stroke by looking at the position of your valves when you take off the valve cover.

You will probably hear of the bump starter hack but if you do it on this car you'll fuck it up because the crankshaft spins counter-clockwise so using the bump start hack will sheer of your crankshaft pulley bolt.

All this will sound scary. Two months ago I was planning on getting rid of my car in about 6 months because the timing belt will be due and I wasn't going to waste money at a mechanic and changing a timing belt seemed almost impossible for me to do. But recently I had to change my crankshaft pulley which was easy as fuck and I realised I was 1 step away from changing the timing belt so now I may keep the car if I decide to change the head gasket. A task I thought impossible for me to do but after my recent experience it is now totally possible!

If you can follow instructions then in theory you will have no problem as a shop manual is 'tried and tested'. In reality there are sometimes some errors in the shop manual, in which case you can ask someone on here for clarification.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A quick update on this. I bought this car. I am currently in the process of taking the head off to check the valves and see if they are bent. I'm really hoping not but it's most likely the situation. I hope to get the car in running and driving condition by the end of this summer.

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
65 Posts
Nice, sounds like a fun project! I hope everything works out. How is the overall condition? All I can tell from the pictures is it needs a new windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice, sounds like a fun project! I hope everything works out. How is the overall condition? All I can tell from the pictures is it needs a new windshield.
Hopefully! It definitely will need a windshield, but otherwise it's not that bad. The only bad rust is on the rear fenders and it's definitely repairable. The front passenger fender is smashed in a little bit but it's not that big of a deal. It'll definitely need tires sometime soon. The interior is in really good condition though. It is missing the radio but the seats and and everything else that where down is still nice. There are also some spots on the car that have been spray painted, so I'll probably repaint it at some point. I have a really nice color in mind if I do something different.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts