Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stumped on this. I have an 88 lude, and when i got it the vac. control box was gone along with all the lines. It has been running rich since i bought it. Well yesterday i got the box, and went to put it on this morning. To my surprise it wasn't only missing the box, but all the electrical connections for it too. There is one free plug that is a rectangle right near where the main connector for the box would be, but the connector that is on the box is a circle. Is this even the right box? It is off of a 89 prlude s so it should be the same, but i don't understand why there would be no wires for it. Can any one tell me where these wires are coming from so i can try to track them down? Pictures would be very helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts

the wiring coming out by the ac line is where your plugs should be coming out at. if you don't see them, they may have been shoved back through that hole. if you pull the plastic inner fender trim out, you will see all of the wiring that comes out of the cabin to the underhood connections and the front fuse box and lighting/horn harness.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

the wiring coming out by the ac line is where your plugs should be coming out at. if you don't see them, they may have been shoved back through that hole. if you pull the plastic inner fender trim out, you will see all of the wiring that comes out of the cabin to the underhood connections and the front fuse box and lighting/horn harness.
Is this a carb motor?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics, the first one is the box i got off of an 89 carburated lude, the second is the plug on that box and the third is the only free plug i have that can go to it. I took the plastic off of my inner fender to see the harness going to the box and there are no cut wires or tucked ones.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
That plug coming out of your fender is the correct one for the vacuum box. There is also a plug near the battery tray that plugs into the engine wire harness. Does the car have the engine wire harness in tact?

I do understand there are two versions of carbs for the 3rd gen prelude. One I know fits on the 90 S, but I don't know if the 89 S is the same as the 88 S. I would hope so, but don't actually know. However, I can say that the plug on your fender is the same as the plug found in my 88 S lude.

Here is a look at the vacuum lines overall.

You need:
- vacuum box
- hard vacuum lines (steel on top of carbs)
- vacuum jet controller (what is it called, on right side of image)
- distributor advanced lines and hard lines
- vacuum controller on the thermostat housing.
- engine wire harness

Can you take a picture of the engine bay in it's current state? It will give me a better idea of what all it may need. I might even have some extra parts soon I can help you with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That plug coming out of your fender is the correct one for the vacuum box. There is also a plug near the battery tray that plugs into the engine wire harness. Does the car have the engine wire harness in tact?

I do understand there are two versions of carbs for the 3rd gen prelude. One I know fits on the 90 S, but I don't know if the 89 S is the same as the 88 S. I would hope so, but don't actually know. However, I can say that the plug on your fender is the same as the plug found in my 88 S lude.

Here is a look at the vacuum lines overall.

You need:
- vacuum box
- hard vacuum lines (steel on top of carbs)
- vacuum jet controller (what is it called, on right side of image)
- distributor advanced lines and hard lines
- vacuum controller on the thermostat housing.
- engine wire harness

Can you take a picture of the engine bay in it's current state? It will give me a better idea of what all it may need. I might even have some extra parts soon I can help you with.
I literally have none of that stuff on my engine. Here is the engine bay of my car.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
What a disaster. You need everything.

Ok, so lets go back to the symptoms. It idles rich, but does it run rich when driving at speed?

It looks like you have no vacuum advanced, no fast idle support (beyond the basic choke), and the IACV is not functional, not to mention a million other things. This will take a lot of your time to fix. It is hard to say what you should do now. If I could actually know how drivable it is, there is a chance you can just lean out the current setup you have. It is hard to make the judgement whether or not to work with what you have, or to put all the original stuff back in.

You do need the vacuum advanced to function. Let me see what can be done about that for the time being.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a disaster. You need everything.

Ok, so lets go back to the symptoms. It idles rich, but does it run rich when driving at speed?

It looks like you have no vacuum advanced, no fast idle support (beyond the basic choke), and the IACV is not functional, not to mention a million other things. This will take a lot of your time to fix. It is hard to say what you should do now. If I could actually know how drivable it is, there is a chance you can just lean out the current setup you have. It is hard to make the judgement whether or not to work with what you have, or to put all the original stuff back in.

You do need the vacuum advanced to function. Let me see what can be done about that for the time being.
The car is completely drivable and i drive it every day. It runs rich when idling and when i am driving and a lot of times you can see black smoke coming from the exhaust. The motor doesn't skip or sputter or anything like that, just smells and smokes.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
For the time being, check and make sure the choke is kicking off completely. Clean the exterior with carb cleaner like I outlined before. You can find the choke check in the online manual for 1988.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
For the time being, check and make sure the choke is kicking off completely. Clean the exterior with carb cleaner like I outlined before. You can find the choke check in the online manual for 1988.
I found a port that was plugged off that pulls vac at all time. Any main components i should have this hooked up to. Right now every thing is reall just crossed up to its self.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
You have the vacuum advanced device on the engine, but it is just dead weight. I think one of the vacuum lines should be routed directly to engine vacuum, and the other goes to the vacuum temperature switch on the thermostat housing (which appears to be missing). Take that with a grain of salt. I know the carbs better than anyone else I have heard of, but I don't know everything about the vacuum lines. Perhaps this is a chance we can both learn more.

There is just so much missing it is not even funny. I am surprised it is not running lean, because it looks like one of the main vacuum lines (the largest one) is not even plugged. It would mean air is bypassing the carbs, which would only cause a rich condition.

Alright, do your best to get the parts man. Believe it or not, you can pull off the vacuum box with the steel lines still attached. That might be easier for you to figure things out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright on the vacuum advance device one of the nipples is broke, same way on the thing that operates the choke. I hooked a vac line to both of them any ways and it actually runs a little better. I also fixed that really big vacuum line that is right there by the exhaust tube. That made a huge difference as well. I'm going to try to find the whole vacuum system, but like i said i have been to every junk yard around Griffin, Ga and can't find any of these carbed motors. Only fi.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am a having such a hard time finding all the parts for this car. I have been to every junk yard in my area and can't find one single carburated lude! I have ordered a number of parts for the car off of an 89 that is supposed to be carbed from one junk yard that they had to get sent from another junk yard. All of these parts were completely wrong. Does any one know of one being parted out in The atlanta area preferably south of the perimeter?

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
I will try to help you but it is likely another member will come in here and tell me it is absurd, or try to negate everything I say. I'm sure my carb write-up will be considered entirely false with pictures of the wrong vehicle. According to B20luda 90% of my posts are inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
dont get but hurt man. you made a bold statement with no facts to back it up and you got called out on it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts