Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Group Buy open for this swap kit - 1FunRyd & MustardCat - 88-91 Prelude B16/18/20b/z Swap kit group buy

1. Update: First start up video -

2. 02/10/2017 Update: Motor up and running smoothly - https://youtu.be/WcZDCoa3jz8

3. Update - 02/12/2017: Quick test launch, no catback stock JDM motor - https://sendvid.com/kos4866f

So due to some issues beyond my control, I had to move on and spend even more money to finish the B-Series kit.
I have found someone who cares about this community as much as I do for aftermarket and performance for our beloved chassis.
I decided to make a new thread since I was moving away from the old vendor due to his personal issues that has cause me massive problems.
So here is what I have been doing in the background with my new partner in crime.

This thread will document my personal build to get the project lude up and running and show the fruits of my work to finish what I start.

And also because we all love a good build.

Project B20b swap

5-20-2016:
The B20b - I and my parnter(to be named later) chose to go with this motor for this build because we wanted to keep our discplacement and torque.
We all know that the B16, B18 motors are pretty torqueless platforms to begin with and as a community we prefer not to lose what we are already used too.
Not to mention that this motor from http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_e...bd2-high-compression-low-intake-jdm-b20b-b20z -
was priced just right for an affordable OE replacement for aftermarket support and OE support as well.
$586 shipped from New Jersey to WA state.

Delivery Day - 5-20-2016

We picked up and S80 transmission which is the none vtec integra B-Series transmission.

Side by side comparison between its older bastard brother...

As you can see the swap is going to get fairly good ground clearance for those who want to stay the low life while being in the same neighborhood as its older brother.

The motor was dropped in with no mounts on just sitting in the bay to get a sense of what we are looking at.

Not bad...

Since I already figured out most of the dimensions from the first B16/18/20 swap kit we have a good idea of what to do.
We however are going to try to reduce the amount cost for us and you guys as well to get the most affordable and efficient kit on the market.

After doing much research on the swap, and since the K series is the most dominant conversation for all the civic/integra/newer prelude guys, this leaves us to be able to affordge and enjoy a plethora of aftermarket support for this swap.

We will be getting the B20b running first then after we get it all running right, then we will be doing the B20vtec conversion.

To be continued....

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just FYI, S80 can refer to anything from the box in a DC4 all the way up to the factory LSD 4.7 box in a 98 spec R. They are all labelled S80 but it is the stamp on the bellhousing that differentiates them.
You are correct.

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well we ran into a snag....

We have to get another chassis. Damage was found under the fenders more than we saw before pulling the fenders.
Its too badly damaged to the point of the chassis buckled and to even use this chassis is going to make the mounts be off by as much as 1" between the shock towers and other places.
Not to mention one of the LCA is torn undereath which makes trying to drive this car unsafe.

So we are on the hunt for another shell, but we have a line on one now.

We did not just want this to be a test fit chassis we wanted a fully operational and running B20b swap.

Other than that, engine placement we got is going to be very good.
Here is what the ground clearance is going to be like...

By the way this car is lowered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was about to ask if it was lowered or stock height that ground clearance ain't bad at all I don't ride to low where I'm from damn Amish buggy with their steel wheels destroy our roads

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have a 91 chassis, I'm sure you are aware. Also make sure when you build it you account for the extra deck height in case someone wants to use a gsr block like mine, as well as the additional height of a vtrc head, if there's any height difference between non v

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 91 chassis, I'm sure you are aware. Also make sure when you build it you account for the extra deck height in case someone wants to use a gsr block like mine, as well as the additional height of a vtrc head, if there's any height difference between non v
We have a GSR head P72, picked it up two weeks ago just to account for that.

So I got you Royce. :wink3:

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some updates.

We aquired another 88 chassis with no chassis damage. So we are moving forward.

**Note: The first pics with the radius rod clearances are with the Red lude that was lowered on Neuspeed 2.25" lowering springs. So the transmission and oil pan clearances are how it will sit with lowered springs.

This was the B20b head clearance.

Transmission Radius rod clearance.

Driver side radius Rod clearance.

For comparison, we did a B20a5 vs B20b engine clearance picture to show what the difference is for ground clearance.
I think you will all be pretty happy for those who want as much ground clearance to keep your lowered looks.

**Note: This is the new chassis at stock height.
B20a5/B21a1 Stock height.

B20b/z engine height.

This picture is to tickle those looking to do the B20vtec conversion...:eek2:
The GSR head on the B20b block.

Hood hood closed with GSR Head/B20b block.

So stay tuned for more updates....

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
I like where this is going, a B20vtec build appeals to me!

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Remember that just going with a stock B20b/z without even doing the B20vtec swap is going to be a little more power in stock form over the B20a5.

B20b -

• Displacement: 1,973 cc (120.4 cu in)
  • Power: 126 hp (94 kW) @ 5400 rpm
  • Torque: 133 lb·ft (180 N·m) @ 4800
B20z -

• Displacement: 1,973 cc (120.4 cu in)
  • Power: 148 hp (110 kW) @ 6200 rpm
  • Torque: 133 lb·ft (180 N·m) @ 5500 rpm
You will need the low profile intake manifold to clear the hood, or use a 94-01 integra B18b manifold to clear the hood.

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updates

So we have some update pics.

We are having to redesign the Rear T bracket due to some spacing issues.
We had to move the engine around in the bay to get the best possible axle angles and clearances on all sides.

While this motor and tranny will be a nicer fit, because it still taller than the B20/21 motor, we have to keep tweaking to get it right.

This is the process for getting mount mounts done right, and not half assing and throwing out a product just to please some few like some other people...Ahem....lol

Now the pictures you see above are with all three mounts and brackets.

I think we got the placement right, but as with all projects that may change.

Enjoy....:)

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't tease us and put us away wet now gotta make that shit happen and hook us up I want a rwd 3rd gen but be more then happy to settle with awd
For now that project would be on the back burner.
Just wanted to show the possibilities for this B20b/z swap.

lol!!!! :grin:

1 - 20 of 113 Posts