Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if the a20a3 cam would give me any more power in my a18a1 as i see people with the d series swap out there d15 cam with a d16 si cam would it give you more power if so has any one did it? and will it even work as the a18 and a20 heads are different just wondering

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
All A18 and A20 cams are directly swappable. I don't think you will notice much difference in performance with the 88-89 A20A3 cam, but that would be the one to try since the 88-89 engine has the most power of all the ET/A18/A20 engine variants. Thing is there were a number of changes to the 88-89 engines that contribute to the additional power, so only switching the cam is not likely to make very much difference.

If you are really looking for more power, you might send your extra cam to Delta and have them regrind it to their 272 specs. That will make a noticeable difference and they're pretty cheap, under $100 I think.

C|

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All A18 and A20 cams are directly swappable. I don't think you will notice much difference in performance with the 88-89 A20A3 cam, but that would be the one to try since the 88-89 engine has the most power of all the ET/A18/A20 engine variants. Thing is there were a number of changes to the 88-89 engines that contribute to the additional power, so only switching the cam is not likely to make very much difference.

If you are really looking for more power, you might send your extra cam to Delta and have them regrind it to their 272 specs. That will make a noticeable difference and they're pretty cheap, under $100 I think.

C|

i dont really want a delta cam i dont want to loose mpg i sill want a decent power gain with a basic swap i thank i might try a 88-89 a20 cam in my a18
does any one on here have one they would sell me but has any one did it? i dont want to waste my money

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
cams

I wouldn't bother you'll do more damage swapping it out than it's worth.

Better of getting a decent exhaust made up, or just tinkering with the air filter and carbs. Anything you do with stock engine isn't going to make any difference.

Just make sure you have some good plugs, decent leads, new dizzy, rotor, good engine oil, new filter, new air filter, etc etc.

Biggest mods to make a difference is the exhaust add 10bhp and 15lbft with a complete downpipe and system, having a header probably gain you extra 5bhp and 5lbft, will increase mpg as well, then only other thing is headwork, tweak carbs, fresh gearbox oil, lightweight flywheel, make sure you keep stock wheels as nice and light, fancy looking new ones will weigh twice as much reduce mpg and slow you down accelerating.

Removing excess weight is next best modification but that's down to how extreme you want to go, stock seats pretty light, but you could race pin the bonnet and boot lid ditching the hinges and locks etc. remove sound proofing, removing all the extra nuts and bolts on everything as Honda love to go overkill on those. But just removing spare wheel and tools is quite a bit just carry can of tyre glue and electric pump (lighter than foot pump! lol!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts