Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i am fairly new to the honda world i am a vw guy at heart. But i did break down and buy my first honda for $60. i have stuck a fair amount of money into it and i will continue to stick money into it for i absolutly love driving it. the most recent problem i am running into is, replacing the cv axles. the problem i am running into is i could not get the bolt out of the controll arm so i cut the bolts ordered new controll arms and they are on their way. now the one side i got off completely, but the drivers side is a different story the stabalizer bar is rusted to the nut and i am uncertain if i will be able to get the nut off with out spinning out the threads on the stabalizer bar. so is there anyone that knows of a conversion i can do on the front end or somehow find a stabalizer bar new or used does not matter or if there is one from a different year model that will work with the 87 Lude SI. i love the car to death and it is my daily driver usually untill i have to fix something which seems to be about once a month ha but not issues. can someone please help?!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are pretty much limited to a stock sway bar. Koni made a sway bar set years ago, but they are very hard to find. Addco still makes a rear bar, but not a front. Try soaking the nut with PB blaster for a few days then try to loosen it. Apply some heat, but be careful, there are bushings on the end of the swaybar. You can get new bushings from www.RockAuto.com. If you need to cut it off and ruin your bar, check the local junk yards and pic-a-parts....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I can't find stock anywhere and the controll arms I just received from rock Auto are wrong and I'm almost positive they won't work. The controll arms I received have the hooks in them for sway bar links and the 2g doesn't have links so now I have to find the correct controll arms and a sway bar ugh

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Control arms are the same.

I swapped my control arms with 3gee (86-89 Accord) arms, and installed an ST front sway bar. It's not a direct fit, but if you have the means, it can work. You can see it in my build thread, I think on page 3...maybe 4.

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344107&highlight=
How does that fit over the exhaust put of curiosity. Cause I already have the controll arms for that since the controll arms on rock Auto are for a 3 gen accord. I don't think I'd have a problem ordering a sway bar for a 3rd gen accord if it will fit through the exhaust and everything? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have the arms out press the bushings with the cut bolts in them and replace the bushings. I'm not sure where you're from but Rock Auto sells bushings for cheap. You can buy great special sockets that take rusty rounded nuts off, or ask a local garage to borrow one.

·
Lord Magnum
1,210 Posts
How does that fit over the exhaust put of curiosity. Cause I already have the controll arms for that since the controll arms on rock Auto are for a 3 gen accord. I don't think I'd have a problem ordering a sway bar for a 3rd gen accord if it will fit through the exhaust and everything? Thanks for the help.
I had no issues with it fitting over the exhaust. I do not run a stock exhaust, so I cannot say for certain that it'll fit the same, but the stock bar goes over the exhaust in the same way, so I imagine it would work. The biggest issues I had were that the radius rods meet the arms at a slightly different angle so I had to elongate the bolt holes very slightly to bolt the rod the arms. Then I had to shorten the bushing links that mount the bar to the crossmember by about 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have the arms out press the bushings with the cut bolts in them and replace the bushings. I'm not sure where you're from but Rock Auto sells bushings for cheap. You can buy great special sockets that take rusty rounded nuts off, or ask a local garage to borrow one.
I actually did return the controll arms I received from rock Auto and ordered bushing. I received the bushing and gave my friend my controll arms and bushing so he could press them in with his press. He has a 17.5 ton press and could not get the bushings out so we're going to let some pj blaster soak on them overnight other than that I'm clueless on how to get the old bushings out?? Any ideas?

·
Lord Magnum
1,210 Posts
Use a torch to burn the rubber out. Then use a hacksaw or a sawzmost to cut into the outer sleeve enough to get it out with hammers/screwdrivers/pliers/whatever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts