Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

First off, I'm sorry if the questions I have, have been previously asked, its 3.28 AM right now, got work in 5 hours(and I'm getting impatient seeing my car sit in the garage and just dreaming about getting her running).
Reason I'm asking for advice is because I'm pretty much surrounded by people who hate fuel injection, and Japanese cars in general, and I don't know as much as I'd like to about cars.
My cars a 85 Prelude SI, this is what I know is wrong with her/needs fixed:
drive axles
tranny(reverse and 5th was out)
e-brake cable
Blower motor is out
Oil pan & gasket
sunroof motor is out, plus glass is spidered
shocks/struts
Speedometer sticks
Exhaust manifold has a couple of holes in it
Engine also needs flushed.

I have a tranny i picked up from junkyard from a 86 lude si, but my question is, given that all this sh*t needs done, would ya'll recommend to get rid of her/fix her up/or a swap(price for preformance wise).

'Gain, sorry if the questions has already been asked, I get frustrated looking at all the sh*t to do with her; with my knowledge not being enough and everyone around here and their muscle cars, makes it hard to make up my mind on what to do.

·
Registered
754 Posts
first off you have to think of it like this, you have a classic japanese sports car thats getting pretty old so things are going to be wrong, the beautiful thing about our cars is parts can be had for cheap and its easy to fix, so dont be worried it is easy to get discouraged, building a 24 year old prelude isnt easy, the plus side is you do have fuel injection, you have to remember the base models are carbureted but there have been some pretty sick base models built on this site more so than si's, but i would say just use the search icon at the top and form your own opinion, there has been everything on here from turbo a20's to b16 and b18 swaps and al motor a18's, but trust me in the end it is very well satisfying to build a 2nd gen, you just kind of fall into it and you never want to get out

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
2nd gen love!

Well it all depends on one thing the chassis!!

If your chassis is Relatively rot free, hasn't had any major accidents so it's straight then keep it cause you'll find it mission impossible to find another that's in goo nick!! If it's rotten or needs a fair amount of work to the chassis to get rid of the rot then move on strip it for spares and find another. No point investing time and money into something thats going to have holes in it every year that need fibreglassing and welding!!

Engines, gearboxes, struts etc. can all be replaced the chassis can't be!!

So give it a good strip down and inspection if you need to know what and where to look then holla back and everyone here can tell you as we all know our cars intimately!!

·
Registered
197 Posts
i would keep the car, they are great to drive and look god whin fixed up. i got mine for $200 and had to do some work on it but i got it dun and now drive it every day. theas ludes are great compared to my 95 firebird and i dont plan on ever selling my honda, in fact after i got the car going i desided to sel my firebird and keep the honda. so dont get discuraged about how much work it may take the car is worth it.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
85 lude questions

Oh also forgot wheres the rest of the 85 questions!! :bigsmile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts