Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when changing the rack opinion i forgot to place steering wheel locked in place so it doesn't turn so when putting back the steering column to rack opinion i test drove it and heard a snap in the column and now the cruse control and horn doesn't work. anybody know the specific part that snapped?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like the clock spring mechanism? Do you still have your stock steering wheel or an aftermarket one? Reason I ask that is cuz if you already changed out the wheel you probably removed the clock spring. It's a piece that helps control the SRS and horn cuz it has wiring in it. Could also be the piece that locks the wheel when the key is removed?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yea, probably the clock spring. I'm sure there is a how-to on removing the wheel somewhere on here but, it's really easy. I take no responsibility for anything that happens if you decide to do this!
Put the car on flat ground, turn it off and lock the wheel straight, remove the negative batt. cable for at least 10 mins. is what I think they recommend but, I do it for at least 30 minutes, that is to discharge the air bag completely so you don't blow it up in your face! Remove 2 torx screws on left and right side of the wheel behind plastic panels, that will allow you to take the air bag off the wheel and get to the electrical connections as well as the center bolt that holds the wheel on if you need to dig further in. However, if it is the clock spring that is giving you the problems, you will be able to see it after you take the air bag out, it will be right in the center with the yellow plugs going to it. Anything that is yellow is related to the air bag/SRS system so, unless you have left the battery unplugged for a while don't ever mess with those plugs!
Again, do a bit more research on the wheel removal just to verify what I told you but, all in all it really isn't difficult. Now if you do need a new clock spring it might get pricey, if you just busted a wire on it (which is what it sounds like?) get out your soldering iron and do some work!
I say it sounds like a wire cuz the clock spring has a ground wire on it that makes your horn work and the cruise control wiring is connected to the clock spring as well via a 3 or 4 wire plug but, you'll see it going to the cruise buttons.
Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts