Honda Prelude Forum banner

x_y_of_z_posts

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have been reading about it and people don't seem to agree on the size. Some say is 5 1/4 and some say is 6 1/2, and then i went on ebay to get some and two different sellers say we have 6 1/2. Anybody know what the stock speaker size is?

·
Registered
x_posts
yes i would like to know this as well =)

·
Registered
x_posts
prelude98addict said:
yes i would like to know this as well =)
The real fit/size is a 5 1/4. Even then, you need to hack the plastic basket behind the speaker unless you get a new speaker with really puny magnets (like those neodynium infinitys). The holes also may not line up (like mine didn't) if you do get something that is supposed to fit. I found that the basket on my new 5 1/4 didn't fit AND there wasn't matched holes. Basically, a lot of cutting and modifying (Polk DB's).

There is a really good article on the texas prelude owners web site/group regarding installation. The guy does a complete install for the doors and basically tells you what I just told you (and found out from personal experience).

You could probably get an adaptor plate or force fit (fiberglass work) a 6 1/2. I don't think the stock speaker grills would fit with an adaptor, but it is worth investigating.

·
Registered
x_posts
get 6.5's and make em fit, most 6.5's will be possible to use without the loss of your stock speaker grill, but some (bigger magnets) will prove to be a real bitch, if you're willing to cut your actual door (the metal) you can make any 6.5 fit and still use your grill

·
Registered
x_posts
Discussion Starter #5
CruZin89LuDe said:
get 6.5's and make em fit, most 6.5's will be possible to use without the loss of your stock speaker grill, but some (bigger magnets) will prove to be a real bitch, if you're willing to cut your actual door (the metal) you can make any 6.5 fit and still use your grill
as far as mounting depth do u know how much room we have, because I found some speakers with a 2-1/8 mountain depth but I dont know if that would be too big.

I would also like to get ur opinion on these two speakers

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5881871526&ssPageName=MERC_VI_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Rockford-Fo...ryZ18799QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
x_posts
I want to say it is 2 or less. I think mine (Polk Db's) met the minimum length and still had to hack the back of the plastic out.

Not to question your ability, but are you sure you want to make the 6.5's fit? I noticed your speaker selection was for 6.5's. It is already a 'custom' install to make the 5.25's fit correctly, I wouldn't even think about 6.5's unless I had no choice.

Did you look at the article I suggested earlier?

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-speakers/fifth-speakers.shtml

I personally wouldn't go near either of those speakers without hearing them first. Even if they are $40.

·
Registered
x_posts
The depth isn't the biggest problem I ran into with the 6.5's, the magnet's width is the tough part. I would love to do it again, i'd be a lot better this time. I'd get better speakers than that though man.

x_y_of_z_posts