Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you know the prelude is a wonderful car. I have found one (unsure of the year) Its a 5th gen, it has been sitting for 2 years and wont start, im not sure if it'll crank, i was hoping if anyone would have any idea on what i should try to do, or if there are any common issues i should fix first.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As mentioned above, definitely drain the fuel and replace with 91 octane. Check and clean the plugs and ensure that they're getting sparks on all four. Spraying some starter fluid in the intake manifold will help get it going, at least those were all I had to do to start mine when I bought my '99 that sat for 8 years for a project car.

First thing I had to do was replace the fuel tank and pump. Tell you what..., finding parts for these cars is a PITA to say the least. Oh one other thing, if the last owner lost all the keys and went ahead to the dealer and have one made anyways, that new key will not start the car because the immobilizer will not recognize it. Guess how I know that lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
New battery, new gasoline for starters. If it's filled with rat shit, you have more work to do.
As mentioned above, definitely drain the fuel and replace with 91 octane. Check and clean the plugs and ensure that they're getting sparks on all four. Spraying some starter fluid in the intake manifold will help get it going, at least those were all I had to do to start mine when I bought my '99 that sat for 8 years for a project car.

First thing I had to do was replace the fuel tank and pump. Tell you what..., finding parts for these cars is a PITA to say the least. Oh one other thing, if the last owner lost all the keys and went ahead to the dealer and have one made anyways, that new key will not start the car because the immobilizer will not recognize it. Guess how I know that lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't know if I'd worry too much about replacing the gas. Depending on how much is in the tank you could add some 91 and a good injector cleaner like Lubro-Moly or Techron. Always add gas with injector cleaner so it mixes in with the gas. If the gas was 4- 5 years or older than I'd consider replacing it. I would however replace the fuel filter for obvious reasons. People rarely do this.
When you take out the spark plugs spray a healthy amount of fresh oil or Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. And take off the valve cover and pour some oil on the cam lobes and rockers. This is a dry engine after 2 years and you don't want to risk scoring the moving parts on start up. Then spin the engine by hand 5 or 10 revolutions before attempting start up. It would also be wise to change the oil and filter before attempting starting.
After starting and driving for a short time, enough for a good warm up, 10 miles or more, I'd change the oil and filter again. PITA, maybe but cheap insurance.
A fully charged battery would be good and don't forget to check the coolant. Once you get the car running flush the coolant and use a 50/50 mix of Honda anti-freeze and distilled water(changed every 2 years). Forget about that supermarket anti-freeze crap. Honda coolant is formulated for Honda engines. The concern is not so much with preventing freezing as it is with having the proper PH levels to prevent corrosion internally. People rarely do this.
Surely I don't have to mention make sure the brakes are operational. If you're smart, you'll flush the brake fluid. From all four wheels and clutch slave if you have one. Use a good Dot 4 fluid and flush until clean, new fluid comes out. Remember, brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That moisture in a brake system causes pricey components like master cylinder, calipers brake lines etc to rust out. Every 2 years. People rarely do this.
Make sure the drive belts are in good condition. If it's an automatic check the fluid level and condition, burnt, brown instead of pink, smells. Or if it has over 60,000 miles change the fluid and filter once you get it running and every 60,000 miles thereafter. If it's a manual transmission (lucky you!) change the fluid once you get it running and every 30,000 miles thereafter. People rarely do this.
Use common sense, look around, see if anything else needs attention. Frayed wiring, does it have good rubber etc etc.
Don't be a people.

·
Registered
1993 Prelude Si VTEC
122 Posts
Don't know if I'd worry too much about replacing the gas. Depending on how much is in the tank you could add some 91 and a good injector cleaner like Lubro-Moly or Techron. Always add gas with injector cleaner so it mixes in with the gas. If the gas was 4- 5 years or older than I'd consider replacing it. I would however replace the fuel filter for obvious reasons. People rarely do this.
When you take out the spark plugs spray a healthy amount of fresh oil or Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders. And take off the valve cover and pour some oil on the cam lobes and rockers. This is a dry engine after 2 years and you don't want to risk scoring the moving parts on start up. Then spin the engine by hand 5 or 10 revolutions before attempting start up. It would also be wise to change the oil and filter before attempting starting.
After starting and driving for a short time, enough for a good warm up, 10 miles or more, I'd change the oil and filter again. PITA, maybe but cheap insurance.
A fully charged battery would be good and don't forget to check the coolant. Once you get the car running flush the coolant and use a 50/50 mix of Honda anti-freeze and distilled water(changed every 2 years). Forget about that supermarket anti-freeze crap. Honda coolant is formulated for Honda engines. The concern is not so much with preventing freezing as it is with having the proper PH levels to prevent corrosion internally. People rarely do this.
Surely I don't have to mention make sure the brakes are operational. If you're smart, you'll flush the brake fluid. From all four wheels and clutch slave if you have one. Use a good Dot 4 fluid and flush until clean, new fluid comes out. Remember, brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. That moisture in a brake system causes pricey components like master cylinder, calipers brake lines etc to rust out. Every 2 years. People rarely do this.
Make sure the drive belts are in good condition. If it's an automatic check the fluid level and condition, burnt, brown instead of pink, smells. Or if it has over 60,000 miles change the fluid and filter once you get it running and every 60,000 miles thereafter. If it's a manual transmission (lucky you!) change the fluid once you get it running and every 30,000 miles thereafter. People rarely do this.
Use common sense, look around, see if anything else needs attention. Frayed wiring, does it have good rubber etc etc.
Don't be a people.
You gonna write and expect Him to do all that but also say dont replace gas unless its 5 years old ?
Gas starts going bad in 6 months.
He just asked why it wouldn't start lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts