Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey guys I want to change the ball joints on my lude, can you guys tell what I need to change them I have the ball joint already I want to start from the front to rear. Please help!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey guys I want to change the ball joints on my lude, can you guys tell what I need to change them I have the ball joint already I want to start from the front to rear. Please help!
a ball joint press that you can borrow from your local parts store and a little bit of luck. I had to heat one of mine too to get it out even with the press.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Alright cool, one more question I have heard and read that the lower rear ball joint you have to buy the whole knuckle is that true or would it come out with the ball joint press and heating them up?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I should take a look at mine, I did my front when I got the car, but the rears didn't look totally spent yet at that time. according to this thread the rear lower is the same as the from lower on a base. per Honda NOW, you can only get the front and rears as a knuckle assembly w/ the ball joint. that's whack. get yourself a good quality a/m joint and you'll be fine. I used raybestos pro-grade from rockauto. I think they were still like $50/piece.

·
Registered
273 Posts
An fyi for any of you doing ball joints in the future, especially the rear lowers, as previously stated they are the same as the front. Also, some guy on another prelude forum said that 03 up accord front lowers are the same as well. These are much more readily available at parts stores and on short notice. After ripping a boot on one of the new ones i got online i went to autozone and got accord ones and they work just fine. Exception being you need to either add a few extra threads or shim it with a washer on the bottom inorder to get it to press into the control arm.

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
The kits from autozone don't seem to fit. I purchased a Honda specific kit off amazon but have yet to actually use it.

NOPE. they definitely don't. it works to press them in, but the cup isn't big enough to press the old one out into it. when I noticed it actually said Honda on the box I was real annoyed.

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts
NOPE. they definitely don't. it works to press them in, but the cup isn't big enough to press the old one out into it. when I noticed it actually said Honda on the box I was real annoyed.
I can get them out no issue. My concern is putting them in without damaging the balljoint. Thats why I got the kit.

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts
Tried after work today in conjunction with your typical c-clamp style press kit.

Worked fine for me

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts
As I said above, the basic c clamp style kit (same as an autozone kit...but cheaper because i got it at harbor freight...) in conjunction with the honda kit I purchased off amazon....

Which you said did not work

Indeed works.

I'm too lazy to do quotes via mobile

·
Registered
273 Posts
As I said above, the basic c clamp style kit (same as an autozone kit...but cheaper because i got it at harbor freight...) in conjunction with the honda kit I purchased off amazon....

Which you said did not work

Indeed works.

I'm too lazy to do quotes via mobile
i mean the autozone adapter kit for honda. anyway, this clarification isn't worth this much trouble lol. the clamp works just fine. do you know what brand the honda kit you got is?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while now, I feel like I'm missing something. I've read this before and in the disclaimer and also post #24 it says that you can only get the ball joints from Honda by purchasing the whole knuckle. I tried entering the part number for the ball joint kits on majestic Honda and I was able to add them to the cart and checkout (I didn't submit the order).

If someone can clarify if these can be purchased separately or not it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can buy them separately if you want. the part number 04510-SL5-000, brings 2 new axle nuts with 2 new ball joints so if you buy three kits your going to have 6 new axle nuts and 6 new ball joints lol, if you don't want that just buy 2 kits and you'll be set. The part number to just buy the ball joint separate is 51220-s30-n21 but I say the kit is better.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Awesome, thank you! And yes, no need for 6 of the same ball joint haha should be just 2 of those kits for front and back and 2 of the radius rod ball joints and 2 castlenuts (for type-sh) because those don't come in kits I'm guessing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've been wondering this for a while now, I feel like I'm missing something. I've read this before and in the disclaimer and also post #24 it says that you can only get the ball joints from Honda by purchasing the whole knuckle. I tried entering the part number for the ball joint kits on majestic Honda and I was able to add them to the cart and checkout (I didn't submit the order).

If someone can clarify if these can be purchased separately or not it would be greatly appreciated
Jv, were you able to find them just doing the catagorized search or did you just enter the part numbers somewhere? I looked just out of curiousity and can only find the whole knuckle and then ball joint boots seperate.

·
Super Moderator
6,449 Posts
You have to search by part number for the lower joints alone. They are only available due to a service bulletin. Most don't even know they are available, including most parts departments.

Complete knuckle assemblies are available, as well as individual boots etc

·
Registered
343 Posts
how do you get the spindle off? i removed the 4 rear nuts but it's really on there. do you have to take the axle nut and bearing housing off? i thought that would all come off as one.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts