Honda Prelude Forum banner
5161 - 5180 of 5184 Posts

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Probably a really dumb question but here goes. I bought a 1998 honda prelude from a guy and when he sold it to me he said it would need a new oil pan gasket. However, when I pulled the pan to install the new one there wasn't a gasket there at all. Well now I put a gasket on the pan and it seems like it is leaking more. There is supposed to be a gasket on the oil pan correct? Or no....

Cast pans use Hondabond (liquid gasket) as a sealant, as well as a crescent or "half moon" seal in the recess just beneath the rear main seal (transmission side).

The only pans that use an actual gasket are steel pans, which are commonly swapped but sometimes require a different oil pickup as some are deeper.

97-01 Preludes with an H22a4 came with a cast pan.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cast pans use Hondabond (liquid gasket) as a sealant, as well as a crescent or "half moon" seal in the recess just beneath the rear main seal (transmission side).

The only pans that use an actual gasket are steel pans, which are commonly swapped but sometimes require a different oil pickup as some are deeper.

97-01 Preludes with an H22a4 came with a cast pan.
Where would one go about finding the crescent seal?

·
Registered
'98 Prelude Base w/ '96 JDM H22A swap
1 Posts
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but this is my first honda, bit of a newbie. Just got a '98 prelude base w/ a 96 jdm h22a swap. Threw code P0505, IACV code at me. So I took off the IACV and I find a thin strip of aluminum covering the holes in the injection.. is this some kind of IACV "delete"? See picture:

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this, but this is my first honda, bit of a newbie. Just got a '98 prelude base w/ a 96 jdm h22a swap. Threw code P0505, IACV code at me. So I took off the IACV and I find a thin strip of aluminum covering the holes in the injection.. is this some kind of IACV "delete"? See picture:
Yeah, looks like someone tried blocking it off for some odd reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I’ve bought got a 98 prelude coupe but the base model with no sunroof spoiler etc. I think it’s called the 2d in Australia. Anyways my question is if I was to pick up a spoiler from a higher model 1998 would it work ? I’m guessing I’ll have to drill holes

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Hey guys I’ve bought got a 98 prelude coupe but the base model with no sunroof spoiler etc. I think it’s called the 2d in Australia. Anyways my question is if I was to pick up a spoiler from a higher model 1998 would it work ? I’m guessing I’ll have to drill holes
Correct. You will need to drill the mounting holes and change (1) of the trunk tension bars so the trunk will open and hold like normal.

The existing 3rd brake lamp will be unplugged and you will need an extension harness to go to the spoiler harness. No need to cut anything, just source the harness or make one that plugs in. Spoilers were optional for the lower trims.

·
Registered
3 Posts
K so like every one I just bought a 98 5th gen lude auto, base model, with like 123k miles on it, it shifts nice runs pretty well so far and I like it and want to make it just a nice daily/project that can beat like ur classic Civic or tuner car you'd see and I have no clue which direction I wanna go with it I'm newer to car scenes and understand basic info and I'm willing to wrench on a car if I know what I'm doing SOOOO basically I want any info I can get on everything any concerns that could go wrong anything at all on these cars I wanna understand them better I just have no clue where to go what'll make more power what ratios mean what like literally everything and if y'all don't want to post all of it on here I have an insta for now it's gonna be :: "302_kid_with_car" please I love cars I just don't know what to do to understand them better I feel stuck on the basics and want to move further hit me up follow me whatever work. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELP

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
K so like every one I just bought a 98 5th gen lude auto, base model, with like 123k miles on it, it shifts nice runs pretty well so far and I like it and want to make it just a nice daily/project that can beat like ur classic Civic or tuner car you'd see and I have no clue which direction I wanna go with it I'm newer to car scenes and understand basic info and I'm willing to wrench on a car if I know what I'm doing SOOOO basically I want any info I can get on everything any concerns that could go wrong anything at all on these cars I wanna understand them better I just have no clue where to go what'll make more power what ratios mean what like literally everything and if y'all don't want to post all of it on here I have an insta for now it's gonna be :: "302_kid_with_car" please I love cars I just don't know what to do to understand them better I feel stuck on the basics and want to move further hit me up follow me whatever work. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HELP
Find out if the timing belt/tensioner/water pump have been changed. If not - get them replaced.

Check for rust in the quarters or anywhere else, treat it/fix it if there is any.

Check for water in the trunk. If there is, replace the tail light gaskets and clean the sunroof drain seals.

You own an automatic, don't beat on it. There will come a day when it will fail. Plan for this and expect to either manual swap or find another auto transmission.

Nobody cares about beating Civics. Most stock cars mid 2000's and up are faster than the Prelude. Enjoy it for what it is. If you want to modify it for performance, expect to pay a good bit to make it worthwhile. Most of us with highly modified Preludes will tell you the car was more fun and reliable when stock with basic bolt ons/visual/comfort upgrades.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice no the timing belt and water pump were not changed I plan on doing that it's a little intimidating for me at the moment so I may hold off for a little at least till I actually start dailying it there is no water in the trunk but there are two tiny rust holes that I will be bonding and sanding along with some bubbling and rust on the fenders I'll definitely get to the tail lights when I buy led ones I know it's a common thing to do but I like them like anybody else along with the headlights 🙏🙏👍👍

·
Registered
1997 Honda Prelude
1 Posts
I got a question, not really a noobie but in terms of dealing with vtec problems I am. I changed my clutch recently. everything was good until I tried to hit vtec to speed away from a van riding my tail. However, it didn't engage at all and the engine felt like it lost its power quick right after 6000 rpm. Before the clutch change, it was good, even tho my clutch was all the way messed up, it still engaged in vtec. Not sure what it is as my oil levels are good. I did do my own valve covers and adjustments tho, I wasn't perfect but it wasn't to the point where it effected the car majorly. Don't know if its that either. I thought it could be oil pressure but nothing was messed with in that sense, just transmission. Let me know if you have any suggestion. Everything is fine, just VTEC not hitting is really bugging me. I drive a 97' Prelude

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
I got a question, not really a noobie but in terms of dealing with vtec problems I am. I changed my clutch recently. everything was good until I tried to hit vtec to speed away from a van riding my tail. However, it didn't engage at all and the engine felt like it lost its power quick right after 6000 rpm. Before the clutch change, it was good, even tho my clutch was all the way messed up, it still engaged in vtec. Not sure what it is as my oil levels are good. I did do my own valve covers and adjustments tho, I wasn't perfect but it wasn't to the point where it effected the car majorly. Don't know if its that either. I thought it could be oil pressure but nothing was messed with in that sense, just transmission. Let me know if you have any suggestion. Everything is fine, just VTEC not hitting is really bugging me. I drive a 97' Prelude

Did you re-secure the grounds and make sure all the connections were clean?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH, I'm looking for the front passenger knuckle, but I can't find it anywhere. I've looked on offer up, craigslist, 5 mile, Ebay, and I even tried some Japanese websites; anybody have suggestions or know anybody that's parting out.

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
I have a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH, I'm looking for the front passenger knuckle, but I can't find it anywhere. I've looked on offer up, craigslist, 5 mile, Ebay, and I even tried some Japanese websites; anybody have suggestions or know anybody that's parting out.
facebook marketplace

unusual to need an entire knuckle, is it bent?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got a 5th gen live in canada my back widow got shot out by a careless hunter and i can't find any rear windows any ideas what i should do bin thinking about useing a plastic mold one but can't find that either 🤔 sucks

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
I got a 5th gen live in canada my back widow got shot out by a careless hunter and i can't find any rear windows any ideas what i should do bin thinking about useing a plastic mold one but can't find that either 🤔 sucks
Contact your local automotive glass supplier/installer and see what they have to say. Otherwise, there is always Honda or have a used one pulled/installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

New owner of a '97 VTIR. I've got ALL the oil leaks! I'm going to be replacing the oil cooler o-ring while at the same time installing a sandwich plate so I can run oil temp/pressure gauges.

I'm thinking it might be easier to install the sandwich plate and sensors by removing the intake rather than coming in from under the car. I changed the oil filter by getting under the car on the weekend and there's not a lot of access, especially if I'm trying to route signal wires etc.

What have other people done?

Cheers!

DB

5161 - 5180 of 5184 Posts