Honda Prelude Forum banner

5121 - 5134 of 5134 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wondering if I should be jumping on this 5spd transmission for backup? Or any parts that I should get cheap for the future? I was thinking about getting the hood for $40 and trying my hand at some body work so I won’t feel bad if it’s a disaster. The whole body is quite clean, 197k on the dash though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check for rust in the rear wheel arches, water in the trunk around the spare tire, overall inspection for oil leaks.

If the seller will allow, check the ECU to see if the readiness codes are set or have been recently cleared in order to do away with any pesky check engine lights.

Oil burning is typical, but you shouldn't be burning more than half a quart every 3k under normal driving conditions. If having a good time and shifting high - expect to burn up to a quart if not more in any 4 cylinder Honda.
Thanks for the advice. I checked out all that stuff, and its all good. Just bought it earlier tonight, and once I get it registered I'm gonna start looking at some bolt ons, I/H/E, etc. It needs new pads first though, so I figure i'll just do rotors while i'm at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, I’m sorry if this has been discussed before but I can’t find it anywhere. I bought my first ever prelude yesterday. 2000 type SH. The previous owner motor swapped it to a JDM F20B. He used a kit from rywire, a USDM distributor with the 8 to 10 pin conversion wire. It also has the stock USDM ECU in it. The CEL is constantly on and flashes when it gets to higher rpm’s. It’s throwing codes for multiple cylinder misfire etc. it’s clearly not misfiring and I desperately need this car to pass inspection. How/what can I do to see why this CEL won’t turn off? Any help would be amazing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm sure this has come up a million times, but I'm not finding a lot of luck through the search functions. Probably just I'm an idiot.

97 Prelude, base model
The original exhaust system is shot.
I have everything I need to replace with OEM parts, probably not very good but workable, but I cannot find what's listed on the spec sheet at Exhaust Pipe A. Apparently it's been discontinued and nobody has them any more.

I've looked on some OEM sites and everything is a lot of complex headers, which my mechanic says I probably don't want for this car.
I just want to replace the original part with an equivalent so that the exhaust doesn't leak. I'm not trying to mod, upgrade, get race ability, anything like that -- I just love the car as it has always been and want to repair it.

Searching around here a bit, it looks like OEM exhaust parts vary wildly in quality and price.

Can anyone advise me where I can get Exhaust Pipe A for a sane price and decent quality?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my sisters 97 prelude, and im looking to mod it, but i dont know what i should start with. I just got into cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm in the market for a 5th gen Prelude right now, located out of Houston, TX. I've been on eBay/Carguru/Autotrader but am not really making much headway in my search. I'm willing to drive a bit to buy the right one but are there any other better places to look? Didn't see any currently for sale on this forum either.

·
Super Moderator
6,395 Posts
I'm sure this has come up a million times, but I'm not finding a lot of luck through the search functions. Probably just I'm an idiot.

97 Prelude, base model
The original exhaust system is shot.
I have everything I need to replace with OEM parts, probably not very good but workable, but I cannot find what's listed on the spec sheet at Exhaust Pipe A. Apparently it's been discontinued and nobody has them any more.

I've looked on some OEM sites and everything is a lot of complex headers, which my mechanic says I probably don't want for this car.
I just want to replace the original part with an equivalent so that the exhaust doesn't leak. I'm not trying to mod, upgrade, get race ability, anything like that -- I just love the car as it has always been and want to repair it.

Searching around here a bit, it looks like OEM exhaust parts vary wildly in quality and price.

Can anyone advise me where I can get Exhaust Pipe A for a sane price and decent quality?

Many thanks in advance.
Used on Facebook market, ebay, junkyard, or you can purchase an aftermarket but reputable DC header/downpipe. Some aftermarkets hold up surprisingly well but you are unable to secure the heat shield onto them.

I just got my sisters 97 prelude, and im looking to mod it, but i dont know what i should start with. I just got into cars.
Enjoy the car for what it is, for as long as you can. Get a good feel for it and how it drives, then determine what could make that experience better. For me, I felt the Preludes strengths were in it's handling so I modified the suspension but not to extreme lows as most would - just some better handling. However one of my favorite modifications would be my shifter and knob assembly - an easily overlooked item that is used constantly day to day that nobody sees but me but improves the driving quality (in my opinion at least).

I'm in the market for a 5th gen Prelude right now, located out of Houston, TX. I've been on eBay/Carguru/Autotrader but am not really making much headway in my search. I'm willing to drive a bit to buy the right one but are there any other better places to look? Didn't see any currently for sale on this forum either.

Unfortunately the forum for sale sections are rather slow since facebook and its marketplace started. I recommend checking there - otherwise craigslist.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alright, so I've been a 00 Lude (H22A4) owner for a few years now and I've just been doing the usual maintenance and big stuff you would do at just under 200k. I've been looking around and have seen some mixed opinions about builds. My question for you big engine guys that really know what's up. Should I stick with the H22A4 and sleeve it (stay true to the heart of the 5th gen Prelude) or just say fuck it and drop a whole different engine in it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are ALL the differences between the 97-98 and the updated 99-01?
I'm talking like how much bigger are the headers? How is the VTEC better? Basically in every detail, is what i'm looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fix anything that is wrong with it first. This will help you get some good knowledge on how to get hands on. You should also update all the maintenance on the car as well. These go a long way and are worth while to the reliability of the car. Your car would be healthy first.

5121 - 5134 of 5134 Posts