Honda Prelude Forum banner

5061 - 5080 of 5124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Hi guys, I'm brand new to this site and to forums in general, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I purchased a really clean, 1 owner, stock 2000 Prelude SH a few months ago (my first car!) and it's been running pretty well, but the paint on the roof and the hood is fading pretty bad. The clear coat hasn't started peeling but the paint is definitely getting dull. I've tried waxing it, washing it, etc., to no avail, and I really don't want it to get any worse, nor do I have the money to repaint it, seeing as how I'm a broke college student. I was wondering if anyone would know how to attempt to restore the paint or show me another forum related to this topic that could help?

Also, a couple weeks ago on the highway, going about 75mph, my harmonic balancer came loose, snapped my serpentine belt and power steering belt, and broke my power steering pump (or so the dealership told me). I've been doing some research and I think I need new motor mounts sometime in the future (the car vibrates at idle, shudders when setting off in first, and I can feel a jolt when shifting from first to second at high revs, seems like the motor and transmission jerking around in the engine bay or something. I don't beat on the car by any means, but occasionally I like to rev it up to have a little fun). I'm thinking that the two issues (balancer, motor mounts) could be related. Could the motor mounts going bad cause enough vibration for the harmonic balancer to just come off, or am I just being paranoid?

The car has 112,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch, which I know will need to be replaced sooner or later but I don't think that it is the root of my problem at this point since it still shifts fine during everyday driving.

If anyone could help me out with any of that whole mess, even just to tell me what forums to look at, that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, I know I'm a newbie so please take it easy on me.

-Chris
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Paint restoration could be done on the faded areas but that only lasts for so long.

Harmonic balancer issues are pretty common. A little thread lock usually takes care of it - and replacing anything damaged (woodroof key, crank bolt, harmonic balancer)

Check your front mount and drivers mount. These are the first ones to fail. The drivers will be clearly separated and leaking, the front is a little more difficult to check but it too will be torn up.

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
I had a question about towing. Are there any hook ups so a tow bar could be used ON the prelude? I am using another car to tow this prelude.
I've wrapped around the front crossmember or the tow brackets that hang down in the front. But that's just for using straps/chain combo. There are no actual bolt points within the front for anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having slight drivability issues with my 99 sh, 205k miles. When I'm in gear cruising and I touch the gas, even lightly, the car jerks a little bit. Same thing when I completely let off the gas.

Searching has led me to want to replace the tps and I'll clean the TB while it's off. I know you can't get a tps from honda, would you trust the TechSmart from RockAuto?

I also noticed a crack in the ignition coil. My question is, should I spend the $120 for a new Honda genuine ignition coil? Or will aftermarket do the trick?

I should mention I also have a Fidanza lightweight flywheel but the car is stock other than that and an aem v2 intake. Brand new oem clutch and pressure plate from honda just installed along with all new motor mounts from honda.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
I'm having slight drivability issues with my 99 sh, 205k miles. When I'm in gear cruising and I touch the gas, even lightly, the car jerks a little bit. Same thing when I completely let off the gas.

Searching has led me to want to replace the tps and I'll clean the TB while it's off. I know you can't get a tps from honda, would you trust the TechSmart from RockAuto?

I also noticed a crack in the ignition coil. My question is, should I spend the $120 for a new Honda genuine ignition coil? Or will aftermarket do the trick?

I should mention I also have a Fidanza lightweight flywheel but the car is stock other than that and an aem v2 intake. Brand new oem clutch and pressure plate from honda just installed along with all new motor mounts from honda.

Any CELs?

I agree on starting with cleaning the throttle body and sensors. May want to inspect the egr valve while at it and see if that needs cleaning. How's the PCV valve? Any other issues besides the jolting ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any CELs?

I agree on starting with cleaning the throttle body and sensors. May want to inspect the egr valve while at it and see if that needs cleaning. How's the PCV valve? Any other issues besides the jolting ?
Thanks for the response. The only CEL I've had is a cylinder 3 misfire a couple weeks ago.. I cleared it and driven close to 1000 miles and it hasn't come back. But I've had the jolting for a while, and I just assumed the new motor mounts would fix it.

Really no other issues though, car seems to run fine. Cleaned egr valve and ports maybe 2 years ago, but I won't rule it out. I'll add the pcv valve to the list of things to check.

I'm just not sure what to do about the tps if it's needed, I wish I could just buy one from honda. Found out ngk sells an ignition coil for $44 shipped from their site though, I think I'm comfortable with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Any CELs?

Thanks for the response. The only CEL I've had is a cylinder 3 misfire a couple weeks ago.. I cleared it and driven close to 1000 miles and it hasn't come back. But I've had the jolting for a while, and I just assumed the new motor mounts would fix it.

Really no other issues though, car seems to run fine. Cleaned egr valve and ports maybe 2 years ago, but I won't rule it out. I'll add the pcv valve to the list of things to check.

I'm just not sure what to do about the tps if it's needed, which it sounds like it might be. I wish I could just buy one from honda. But for the ignition coil, just saw that NGK offers one for $44 shipped from their site, I'm comfortable with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel pump not priming

Car is a 2001 Prelude
Yesterday when I turned my car on it was on for a few seconds then stalled out.
I tried again and it turned on fine, but later that day I went to turn it on again and I didn’t hear the pump kicking. It turns over but just isn’t getting any gas. The same exact thing happened 6 months ago in May, I switched out the pump and it was good. I switched out the pump again today just in case and still not kicking. I switched the main relay- nothing. I’ve checked the fuse box (fuse #15) and nothing. Help?

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Car is a 2001 Prelude
Yesterday when I turned my car on it was on for a few seconds then stalled out.
I tried again and it turned on fine, but later that day I went to turn it on again and I didn’t hear the pump kicking. It turns over but just isn’t getting any gas. The same exact thing happened 6 months ago in May, I switched out the pump and it was good. I switched out the pump again today just in case and still not kicking. I switched the main relay- nothing. I’ve checked the fuse box (fuse #15) and nothing. Help?
Do you see a green key constantly flashing as you try to turn the car over?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Harassing Honda about the Auto trans/igntion

Tis was Christmas eve and I couldn't leave my house because my 1998 Honda Prelude
(Automatic Transmission)was pulled up to my apartment and reverse nor park doesn't work. I decided enough was enough.. I knew that the 1999-02 preludes had the transmissions and ignition systems recalled but not the 1997-1998. At that moment is when I went down the rabbit hole and started uncovering information that has probably long been forgotten. I found document after document, they were resume from the DOT NHTSA saying Honda did recall the ignition interlock/switch systems and there were even documents signed from people at Honda stating they knew about the Automatic Transmission problem since 1998. they even recalled the 1997-01 preludes. I started a twitter because I figured I could get real-time interaction with Honda and it would keep them on there best behavior since the whole world could see. I have screenshots, .pdfs of all these documents I even showed some of them to Honda and they are trying so hard to not replace it just check out how bad they look. So guys help me stir the pot. throw the shit into the fan and get Honda riled up enough to fix all of our automatic shit boxes. Please help spread the word about this and get Hondas full attention that we know that they know they fucked up and are trying to get away without doing anything. I already have filed a complaint with this information to the DOT NHTSA as well and to my dealership. https://twitter.com/tht_prelude_guy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
This isn't new information, it's been known for years. Sorry to hear you purchased an auto despite the many people throughout the years on here advising against it.

They will not fix all of the autos. Service bulletins were made and any with issues within the given timeframe were repaired or replaced. It's the same routine for every car manufacturer, they will only cover things for so many years/miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This isn't new information, it's been known for years. Sorry to hear you purchased an auto despite the many people throughout the years on here advising against it.

They will not fix all of the autos. Service bulletins were made and any with issues within the given timeframe were repaired or replaced. It's the same routine for every car manufacturer, they will only cover things for so many years/miles.
It was 550 bucks with a slung rod. traded my 92,94 prelude for a JDM H22a with under 30k miles. Had no idea anything about 5th gens when I got it nor did I know the transmission was bad. It was driven for only about 7 years parked in 05 when the motor slung a rod. I brought it back in 2016. only has 183,553 miles that's pretty low to be having these sort of severe problems. As to them replacing them. The parts are defective and a safety hazard. There have been multiple cases where the ignition interlock has causes rollaway wrecks. same for the transmission disengaging. Hell ive had mine do it in the middle of a intersection. I believe there is no time frame when it comes to the safety of a human life. I bet a court would agree. I wasn't even old enough to drive, about 6 years old when those so called bulletins went out they cant expect everyone to see that stuff in there time frames. I'm also the second owner of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another recent one. Very dangerous defects. quoted from the NHTSA website since screenshots aren't uploading for me correctly.
MY 1998 V-TEC HONDA PRELUDE RECENTLY HIT 157000 MILES AND SHORTLY AFTER HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING LOSS OF POWER, STALLING, AND LOSS OF STEERING. WITHIN 5 WEEKS I HAVE EXPERIENCED IT STALL AND INSTANTLY RESTART WHILE GOING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION, LOSE ALL POWER AND STEERING WHILE TURNING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION, AND LOSE POWER AND STEERING WHILE GOING 55 MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY. UPON DOING SOME RESEARCH ON THIS WEBSITE, ACROSS THE INTERNET AND SPEAKING WITH SOME MECHANICS I BELIEVE THESE ISSUES TO BE IN LINE WITH TWO MAJOR RECALLS THAT WERE DONE ON MY YEAR MAKE AND MODEL OF VEHICLE HOWEVER I HAVE COME TO FIND OUT THAT MY VEHICLE AMONG MANY OTHERS WERE EXCLUDED FROM THESE RECALLS (RECALL #'S 99V069000, 02V12000). MOST OF THESE ISSUES WOULD NOT EVEN PRESENT THEMSELVES UNTIL THE CAR REACHED A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF WEAR AND TEAR AND THE FACT THAT SOME VEHICLES WERE EXCLUDED WHEN THEY PRESENT THE SAME ISSUES IS DEPLORABLE AND HAS PUT MANY LIVES AT RISK AS THESE ARE BOTH CONSIDERED LIFE THREATENING ISSUES.

·
Registered
669 Posts
So you are saying when turning you lost all steering? Wheel just turned? Locked up? Interesting first 3 post.

You think that a 20 year old vehicle should still be under warranty? Wonder if we can wake ole henry up and get him to fix model a's that rusted?
Lets see some pics of this mint lude and maintenance records showing all work was done at a certified honda dealer. Btw the warranty is expired.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you are saying when turning you lost all steering? Wheel just turned? Locked up?
thats a quote from the NHTSA website for the prelude it don't seem my screenshots are uploading correctly to this website.

So, you expect Honda to cover your 20 year old transmission. You're not even the original owner, and purchased a $500 car. Sorry, but you would need one hell of a good lawyer to go against Honda with any sort of claim. It is your fault for not researching before buying a car. Cry all you want, but this is not the place for it.
No crying. I am using the best lawyer in Alabama Morgan & Morgan. They stated it is Negligence due to Honda and dealerships knowing about the issues and doing nothing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
thats a quote from the NHTSA website for the prelude it don't seem my screenshots are uploading correctly to this website.

Ya most can't see attachments here. The one number is for a ball joint recall. Didn't answer the questions either.

You said you, "LOSE ALL POWER AND STEERING WHILE TURNING THROUGH AN INTERSECTION, AND LOSE POWER AND STEERING WHILE GOING 55 MPH DOWN THE HIGHWAY."

I've reread what I wrote and I sound rude. If it helps mine burns oil with 145k. I still love it and it is resting in a 60°f garage till spring.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
It was 550 bucks with a slung rod. traded my 92,94 prelude for a JDM H22a with under 30k miles. Had no idea anything about 5th gens when I got it nor did I know the transmission was bad. It was driven for only about 7 years parked in 05 when the motor slung a rod. I brought it back in 2016. only has 183,553 miles that's pretty low to be having these sort of severe problems. As to them replacing them. The parts are defective and a safety hazard. There have been multiple cases where the ignition interlock has causes rollaway wrecks. same for the transmission disengaging. Hell ive had mine do it in the middle of a intersection. I believe there is no time frame when it comes to the safety of a human life. I bet a court would agree. I wasn't even old enough to drive, about 6 years old when those so called bulletins went out they cant expect everyone to see that stuff in there time frames. I'm also the second owner of the vehicle.
So, you expect Honda to cover your 20 year old transmission. You're not even the original owner, and purchased a $500 car. Sorry, but you would need one hell of a good lawyer to go against Honda with any sort of claim. It is your fault for not researching before buying a car. Cry all you want, but this is not the place for it.

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
No crying. I am using the best lawyer in Alabama Morgan & Morgan. They stated it is Negligence due to Honda and dealerships knowing about the issues and doing nothing.
Honda has contacted owners about their issues. Because the previous owner neglected to maintain the vehicle or have the issues resolved and you got stuck with a $500 paperweight does not mean it's court worthy. The car is beyond its life expectancy. Had it been a newer car, this would be easily resolved.

I'm taking your repeated posts and merging them, this is a warning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What's the best way to clean up the oil in hard to reach spots like near the oil filter? I had an oil cooler leak that drenched everything.

And I'm contemplating replacing most of the hoses (for peace of mind) and to check and replace things before they go out. Is there any specific brands or hoses/clamps I should be looking at?

5061 - 5080 of 5124 Posts