Honda Prelude Forum banner

5041 - 5060 of 5118 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alright, got the timing belt done, everything is back together, and now out of nowhere, I'm losing power at around 3,000rpm. Just falls right on it's face. Only with a load though. I can sit here in park and rev to 5 grand all day just fine... no misfires, no MIL nothing. Everything was perfectly fine before all of this... I've read anything from VTEC solenoid, to fuel pump. But I'm looking more at timing seeing as how I just did the belts and all. is there any kind of adjustment for the distributor? I did take that off when I pulled the cams to get my leak down checked...

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
I would double check your timing. Is your PCV valve clean? Did you make sure all of the grounds on that side of the motor are secure? How are your accessory belts - tight?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, i have question..

I have Prelude V gen..

I already know that it has 4x114,3 PCD..

I would like to put in in 17"x8J wheels.. with 205/40R17 Tyres

The question is.. which offset i should choose to get good look..

I can choose between 20-45 offset.. the wheels has lip it is a replica of BBS LM (offset don't make lip smaller or bigger it only makes wheels more in or more out of wheel arch)

I found many photos on the internet, but i don't trust if all information i've seen there is true (someone could forget to tell that he is using spacers or something)

ET25 will be good enough to look nice and don't scrub or should You take ET30-35 ?

If there is a topic with this informations and maybe photos i would like to know about it :)

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Hi, i have question..

I have Prelude V gen..

I already know that it has 4x114,3 PCD..

I would like to put in in 17"x8J wheels.. with 205/40R17 Tyres

The question is.. which offset i should choose to get good look..

I can choose between 20-45 offset.. the wheels has lip it is a replica of BBS LM (offset don't make lip smaller or bigger it only makes wheels more in or more out of wheel arch)

I found many photos on the internet, but i don't trust if all information i've seen there is true (someone could forget to tell that he is using spacers or something)

ET25 will be good enough to look nice and don't scrub or should You take ET30-35 ?

If there is a topic with this informations and maybe photos i would like to know about it :)

Thanks

www.willtheyfit.com

or ask in the wheel fitment thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone :D first time posting and I have lots of questions!

Maybe about 8 months ago I was driving my previous car which was a 2005 Honda Civic purchased from Honda world in Downey when I was t-boned by some lady in a Tahoe. Best/worst thing to happen cause it messed up my arm, but with the insurance $ I was ready to get the car I've always wanted...a 2001 5th gen prelude. My second car was a 4th gen 96 lude but the tranny went out on me while on the freeway and unfortunately I wasn't in a position to call triple A or make it home on 1st gear lol. Well anyways I finally got the car and I was happy, up until I started leaking and not just oil. This car is def a fixer upper, but I didn't want to get a perfect lude that someone else already put a lot of work into...I want to do that myself. I fixed most of the things that were messing up such as a 3 separate leaks (holy fuck LOL) a new tune up, broken brake switch. Right now I have many questions and any help (information wise) would be awesome.

The remaining problems are:
Whenever it rains my car leaks water into the trunk, and if enough of it builds up it splashes into the back seat and wets the seat from under to the top. I thought it could have been a broken tail light because I noticed there was a little broken piece missing and water could enter through there but when I replaced the back light and dropped some water from the top it was still leaking water into the trunk. I was thinking maybe the drain cable is clogged?

There is a leak coming from the solenoid area, my pops told me it might be the gasket, o ring gasket or even the solenoid itself...I talked to my mechanic about it and he said it's the valve on the Vtec which one would be more likely to be leaking?

I have various cosmetic issues such as needing a new front/rear bumper (not really dented or broken but the clips on the back are almost done and the front has a major crack by the hood) the hood is a major dent, driver side mirror broken (won't move with the electronic mover button thing) and it needs to be repainted.

It has 148,xxx miles on it and the tranny seems to be fine, no popping or jolting when switching gears. Other than that I love this car and I'm hoping to make it a nice money pit that will cause problems between me and my future wife LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Welcome!

Water in the trunk could be clogged sunroof drains, a drain that popped off the mount where it drains outside (you'll understand when you see it) or tail light gaskets between lights and body.

Oil leak would be one of two gaskets on the Vtec solenoid. Very common, there is an o-ring beneath the solenoid and a gasket with a filter between the assembly and head. Better to just do both and get it over with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for the help wing8806! I tried to look up what the leakage could be for the trunk water but I could only find drains being clogged, but nothing about sun roof drains nor the gaskets between the lights and the bodies so I'm pretty excited to finally resolve this problem! :D

And for sure! I was hoping not to replace the whole solenoid unit.

Will update with what fixed the problems :D also do you know where I can get parts like front bumper, dash board center (idk how but there's a piece broken next to the ac vents) back bumper new hood etc? Thanks again :D

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Will update with what fixed the problems :D also do you know where I can get parts like front bumper, dash board center (idk how but there's a piece broken next to the ac vents) back bumper new hood etc? Thanks again :D

Junkyards, partouts, or online Honda retailers (such as hondaautomotovieparts.com or hondapartsnow.com)

Aftermarket bumpers are out there but i'm unsure of quality or retailers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am fairly new to the prelude family. I have a 97 SH. Today I noticed a coolant coming from the drivers side. It was dripping down close to and on the D/S halfshaft and then to the ground. When I got under to inspect I noticed it forming a drop from what appears to be the oil pan. Kinda strange. Any ideas on what the culprit is?

Attachments

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Might be coming from the weep hole on the water pump. When's the last time the water pump was replaced?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Questions

So i have a 1998 SH, it was making a whining noise. I took off the power steering/a/c belt, whining continued. Then I took off the crank belt still had the noise. So i am thinking that it must be something under the front cover like the water pump. Am i way off or on the right track. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
So i have a 1998 SH, it was making a whining noise. I took off the power steering/a/c belt, whining continued. Then I took off the crank belt still had the noise. So i am thinking that it must be something under the front cover like the water pump. Am i way off or on the right track. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sorry i'm seeing this so late, that could possibly be a sign of needing your timing belt and tensioner replaced. I would get it checked out by a shop asap if i'm not already too late on this reply

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I am not a proud owner of 5th gen, still, but there is a possibility for that in the near future. And before I make that step I would like to ask a few, maybe awkward and a little bit nooby, questions about it:
1. Since it would be my only car, how about putting baby carriage in the trunk? Is it possible? Have anyone tried that?:)

2.The one I'm interested in had an 2.0l engine originally, and now it has swapped H22A5 with approx 220-230hp (I will introduce it here with more details about it if I purchase it). And since wheels on 'Ludes with 2.0 engine have 4 bolt ons, instead of 5 like on the version with 2.2 engine, should I worry about that? I mean, wheel will not break, but.. I was just wondering..

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Hi everyone, I am not a proud owner of 5th gen, still, but there is a possibility for that in the near future. And before I make that step I would like to ask a few, maybe awkward and a little bit nooby, questions about it:
1. Since it would be my only car, how about putting baby carriage in the trunk? Is it possible? Have anyone tried that?:)

2.The one I'm interested in had an 2.0l engine originally, and now it has swapped H22A5 with approx 220-230hp (I will introduce it here with more details about it if I purchase it). And since wheels on 'Ludes with 2.0 engine have 4 bolt ons, instead of 5 like on the version with 2.2 engine, should I worry about that? I mean, wheel will not break, but.. I was just wondering..
Unsure if a carriage will fit in the trunk, it's not very big.

Being 4 lug isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you guys pay over $10k for a '99 SH with under 20k miles? Ive only owned Hondas (ITR, S2k, civic) and the Prelude comes from that golden gen when Honda could do no wrong so Im definitely interested. The problem is the car is quite old so what sort of issues should I look for?

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
Would you guys pay over $10k for a '99 SH with under 20k miles? Ive only owned Hondas (ITR, S2k, civic) and the Prelude comes from that golden gen when Honda could do no wrong so Im definitely interested. The problem is the car is quite old so what sort of issues should I look for?

Over? No. If it was well maintained and driven a few times a week and you feel it's worth it - 10 could be reasonable... But most parts are discontinued and if maintenance was not kept up, you will have a long list of things to do.

All oil seals will more than likely be needing replacement due to age. Tires are questionable condition. Timing belt will need to be done as well as all fluids if not recently done. Then there is the condition of the bushings and any other rubber components such as mounts that could show their age. (and any potential rust)

I paid 8.5 for mine with 114k back in 2010. Original owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to Forum

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this site and to forums in general, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I purchased a really clean, 1 owner, stock 2000 Prelude SH a few months ago (my first car!) and it's been running pretty well, but the paint on the roof and the hood is fading pretty bad. The clear coat hasn't started peeling but the paint is definitely getting dull. I've tried waxing it, washing it, etc., to no avail, and I really don't want it to get any worse, nor do I have the money to repaint it, seeing as how I'm a broke college student. I was wondering if anyone would know how to attempt to restore the paint or show me another forum related to this topic that could help?

Also, a couple weeks ago on the highway, going about 75mph, my harmonic balancer came loose, snapped my serpentine belt and power steering belt, and broke my power steering pump (or so the dealership told me). I've been doing some research and I think I need new motor mounts sometime in the future (the car vibrates at idle, shudders when setting off in first, and I can feel a jolt when shifting from first to second at high revs, seems like the motor and transmission jerking around in the engine bay or something. I don't beat on the car by any means, but occasionally I like to rev it up to have a little fun). I'm thinking that the two issues (balancer, motor mounts) could be related. Could the motor mounts going bad cause enough vibration for the harmonic balancer to just come off, or am I just being paranoid?

The car has 112,000 miles on it and still has the original clutch, which I know will need to be replaced sooner or later but I don't think that it is the root of my problem at this point since it still shifts fine during everyday driving.

If anyone could help me out with any of that whole mess, even just to tell me what forums to look at, that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post, I know I'm a newbie so please take it easy on me.

-Chris

5041 - 5060 of 5118 Posts