Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 40 of 5118 Posts

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
alright noob question. lets say i was driving at like 40 in like 4th gear..and a turn is coming up..i turn but i dont downshift..so by the end of my turn im like at 15-20mph and my rpm is at like 1500-2000 (in 4th gear still). my questions are:

1. what would happen (not that i've tried it) if you floored it? other than it won't go very quickly...will it blow anything up? or will it harm or put stress on anything?

2. if my scenerio happens, and i VERY SLOWLY accelerate without downshifting to 3rd but kept it in 4th to go...does it harm the clutch or syncros or engine?

thanks for the answers and bare with me with these noob questions.
It won't hurt anything to do that, it'll just lug the engine. It's no better to accelerate slowly from low-rpm's really, but its just a bad idea in either case. It hurts your gas mileage and creates extra oil sludge. You're not gonna blow up your engine or anything if you do it, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. It's not the proper way to drive a stick. When you know revs are going to drop, or you want more acceleration, you need to downshift a gear or two.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I'm a noob to computer stuff and don't really know where else to post this question.

Why won't my computer play certain video's, it just comes up with a Q with a question mark in it and does'nt do anything. Like Google video for instance, it won't play anything off google just show's a blue letter Q with a question mark on it.

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
bangin' gears
15,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is....
2. a down pipe...
3. an axle back...

thanks for the help...
1) a straight pipe that replaces the catalytic converter
2) the exhaust pipe that comes off the hotside of a turbo
3) the rear portion of an exhaust

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
i need help...
i dotn know what:
1. a test pipe is.... a pipe that goes in place of your catalytic converter. It may be resonated or just a straight pipe, but it has no catalytic elements.
2. a down pipe... is a section of exhaust pipe in front of the cat that is not a part of your header. In a turbocharged car, its what goes from the turbine outlet to the cat, and on an NA car, its what links the collector to the cat. While some people refer to the header b-pipe (bottom half of header, before the collector) as a downpipe, our cars do not actually have one, as the merge collector is right before the cat.
3. an axle back... is the portion of your exhaust system from the rear wheels on out, including muffler. While a catback is considered a complete exhaust, an axle back is just a short section at the rear of your car. Basically, its just a new muffler with a short pipe already included so you don't have to weld the new muffler to your stock pipe. Can be used to improve sound in some cases, but does very little for power.

thanks for the help...
Fixed it for ya ;)

·
Registered
508 Posts
hey thanks alot... for the replies really helped out... but dont cars in CA need catalytic converters?
or can i just take it out and replace with teh test pipe...
do any CA luders know of this?

thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
all i kno is that test pipes are illegal in every state and every car should have a catalytic converter if you want ur car to pass emissions..i have a resonating test pipe(with dc headers and an evo exhaust) and personally speakin..it pisses the crap out of me.it smells like im definitely puttin a hole in the ozone,and itz too loud in the highway..i cant wait til i find an oem cat or a carsound cat..or a random technologies cat..any of those won't smell like crap or pollute or get copz on my ass for bein loud

·
Registered
508 Posts
o icic... but if i bought a entire catback system would tat replace my catalytic converter? or can i keep tat?

PS... i wouldnt mind putting a hole in the ozone layer... its too COLD!... there was ice covering my car all last week... and i live in freaking SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! jk

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
o icic... but if i bought a entire catback system would tat replace my catalytic converter? or can i keep tat?

PS... i wouldnt mind putting a hole in the ozone layer... its too COLD!... there was ice covering my car all last week... and i live in freaking SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! jk
Well, in California I definitely wouldn't go with a testpipe. In fact, it can be hard to get away with even a high-flow cat there. I'd only go with a testpipe in states w/o an emissions check (like SC :Rock:). I don't have a cat on the SRT-4, but I plan to keep one on my Lude, as I want to get an Evo2 eventually, and don't want my car too loud or ricey sounding.

BTW, a cat-back does not replace your cat, just everything behind it.

·
Registered
648 Posts
yea the evo2 sounds great with a test pipe i must say..it only pisses me off in the highway..i cant have a dam conversation w/o yelling...well to each his own..im done with gettin attention tho..dam copz..in verona if i get caught one more time they'll fine me.not kool

·
Type-Esss
4,714 Posts
That's the exhaust I want, do you have any clips of it w/ the testpipe? Did you ever have it w/ the stock cat? I plan on keeping the stock cat when I get my Evo2, until it wears out. Then, I'll most likely be going w/ a Kteller bolt-in to keep the drone down.

·
Registered
648 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn7MF1qaPYQ mines is pretty much like diz one here but noticeably louder..and if the sound quality was better u would notice the growling sound more..i luv dat..u notice it alot more in real life..and i did have it with the oem one..my cat died so i had to do a cheap replacement(resonatin test pipe)..soundsz great but it gets annoyin at constant 4000 rpms on highway..the oem was perfect..it growled,was enuff to set off sensitive alarms and didnt disbturb conversation in the highway.btw i've noticed dat my low end got a little worse though with the test pipe...something about back pressure..never really looked into it though

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
where is the ecu located? in a fifth gen 98 lude
Under the passenger's floor carpet (under the glove box) where you're feet would end up at!

·
Registered
508 Posts
hi... i wanted to know of any good scratch removers on the market....the previous owner wasnt too careful with the rear bumper...

also.. how can i remove the prelude letters on the back as well as the Vtec sticker withouth damaging the paint?

thanks for the response...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Automatic or Manual for a first car?

·
Registered
508 Posts
thats an easy question... Manual all the way... its simple to learn and fun to drive... (well not in traffic, you need to be patient while in traffic) i think most ppl would tell u also to get a stick...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think its sad how nowadays no one can drive a stick anymore. The guy who sold me my car didn't even tell me about my lude at first because he thought I would have wanted an auto. Its so easy once you get the hang of it. It becomes so automatic after awhile its as easy as an auto. Its so much more fun than auto. I would suggest reading the How to drive a 5 spd tutorial on this website in the articles section. I used this method on a friend of mine and it worked wonders.

21 - 40 of 5118 Posts