Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally decided to go ahead and do my LED retrofit for my tailights this past week. I'll let the pics do the talking first...

I spent a lot of time doing research on these. I used Lumileds Superflux red/orange LEDs, they are built for automotive use and I think its the same ones that Toyota/Lexus and a lot of other auto manufacturers use. I also have them hooked up to a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator) so that instead of doing different lines on/off during braking, all the LEDs are on but are on a motor controller which is switching them on/off so quick that they seem dim to the human eye. Then when the brakes are pressed, they bypass the PWM and are on full brightness.

Pic of PWM:

I also made LED turn signals for both rear and front indicators. The wiring of the LEDs and the circuitry wasn't that bad IMO, but the hardest and most painstaking part was taking apart and putting the tail lights back together!

Thanks to hidplanet, thats where I got all my info from!

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
wow,
deff need a Write-up for sell them,
how much would u do mine for???

·
Registered
874 Posts
make me a set now..... please

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow that looks FANTASTIC!

great job. My only question is, is there any way of putting in some more leds on the other side of the reflector? and on the corner pieces>? that would be PERFECT.

Youve given me some inspiration to go ahead and do this to my tails. Just please write up. Im interested in

-process of taking apart the tailights (oven?)
-the PVM or whatever its called
-schematics of how PVM is integrated into the system.
-where you sourced the LEDs from

GREAT WORK! the research youve put in really has paid off

·
Registered
138 Posts
props!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone..

I'll work on a write up when I get a chance sometime this week..
The hardest part was taking the tail lights apart and putting them back together. The lenses are very easy to crack, and dont bend as much as headlight lenses.
For those that are interested, I might be able to make the boards with the LEDs as well as the PWMs so that all you have to do is open your tail light, mount the board, and seal it back up.

About putting LEDs on the other side of the reflector - inside the tail as you can see from the pic, its a different area where you'd have to create another board for. The reason why I chose not to was if I don't get that board totally aligned with the main board, the rows would look off and not in the same line. I hope that makes sense..

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After you make the PWM, its pretty easy to wire it up. Basically you also need to get a voltage regulator with a switch, so essentially what it does is route the LED power through the PWM, but as soon as the brakes are hit, the PWM is bypassed and full power is given to the LEDs. There are many different kinds of PWM kits, but most of them come with just the pieces and you have to put them together.

I'm trying to price something up for some people who have PMed me where I could create the boards with LEDs all wired up, also with PWM wired up to the regulator so that all you've got to do is open up the tail light, mount the board using a screw, and splice 4 wires on the back of your tail light (I'll give instructions its really easy). Would you guys be interested in something like that? You'd probably save on shipping as well since it'll be smaller and lighter to ship these pieces as opposed to tail lights.

Reactions: DfwBB6
1 - 20 of 56 Posts