Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys i have a 1997 prelude base 5 speed. It has custom intake (on car wen i bought it.) Aem fuel rail, Skunk2 inake manifold, Headers and Exhaust. Now what the problem is, that the car pops and misfires like crazy at anything below 3k rpm then goes good. The thing im looking at the most is my iat sensor is reading at 408 degress farenhiet and keeps melting and burning at the tip. I have traced wired back about six inches, they look good. I have also tried wiggling them with no change in temp. Do you experts think that this is why it is running like this and what is the cause of false readings from the iat senor and making it melt. I have tried the repair manual and tried their examples. Please any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah definitely a bad IAT sensor will cause improper fueling for the car. Since the ecu uses the IAT sensor to compensate fuel.
Thanks for your quick answer bro and ya thats kinda what i've gathered from my research. But what would cause the sensor to melt i checked wiring bout 6 inches back they look good the ecu dont look burnt any where the ect sensor reads normal too.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Thanks for your quick answer bro and ya thats kinda what i've gathered from my research. But what would cause the sensor to melt i checked wiring bout 6 inches back they look good the ecu dont look burnt any where the ect sensor reads normal too.
Yeah no problem, im not sure why it would be melting at the tip, could be many problems, faulty wiring, bad ecu, or just plain too hot.

How many times have you replaced the IAT sensor, also how do your spark plugs look?

Is the engine overheating at all?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No overheating issues, I have replaced iat twice now and the one that came with the car because of cel and it looked like a little notch was melted or scratched away. Now the last one i took out was bubbled out like melted plastic. I checked the wiring until it goes into the wire harness under the intake manifold they looked good. i checked ecu for burnt marks and didnt see any abnormalities. I will check spark plugs next time i get into shop the guy said he replaced them not to long ago wires look fairly new so i believed.

·
Registered
643 Posts
No overheating issues, I have replaced iat twice now and the one that came with the car because of cel and it looked like a little notch was melted or scratched away. Now the last one i took out was bubbled out like melted plastic. I checked the wiring until it goes into the wire harness under the intake manifold they looked good. i checked ecu for burnt marks and didnt see any abnormalities. I will check spark plugs next time i get into shop the guy said he replaced them not to long ago wires look fairly new so i believed.

Do you have any kind of aftermarket ECU or is it completely factory?

·
Registered
643 Posts
My only real guess from what you described is that you are getting back fire back into the intake manifold that would cause the IAT to get heated up so much to the point where it burns.

I would check your timing make sure the the cam gears and crank pulley all align up correctly.

Then after you check that, I recommend you do a compression check and/or a leak down test to make sure your valves are okay.

·
Registered
45 Posts
simple quick check make sure that yout iat and psps (power steering pressure switch) isnt flipped. ive seen it and it will cause some odd issues. if that fails check timing and valve adjustment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts