Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!! I am new to the forum (and honestly new to any forum for that matter), so I wanted to introduce myself. I'm Trixie, and I recently got a 2000 Honda Prelude! For the most part, my Prelude is in good shape, but there are a few rust spots, which have been sanded out but still need to fix them and repaint. The interior of the car is in very nice condition. I do have a problem with rain/water accumulating in the spare tire well of the trunk, but I think I just need to check the sunroof drain. I absolutely LOVE driving my Prelude!!!! My Prelude was running great... started up immediately, ran smooth...
Until the Check Engine light came on. Now I have this incessant issue with the Check Engine light coming back on after every shop visit, sputtering on initial start up, and running rough when idling at a stop light. I've taken my baby in multiple times to two different auto shops, and they both did the same thing: Replaced the distributor cap and wiring harness, removed and de-carboned the throttle body, and replaced all 4 spark plugs with new ones - three times! The shops reset the computer, the Check Engine light goes out, I take my baby home, but after driving a few miles, the Check Engine Light comes back on. When I take my Prelude back to the shop, the mechanics tell me that the plugs keep getting fouled up... they either check the plugs and clean them or replace them- which is how I've ended up with new plugs three times. I've also noticed that my fuel economy has gotten much worse and smoke coming from the tailpipe. The mechanics tell me my baby is "burning oil because it's an older engine" - which only tells me they have no clue and don't know much about older imports.
I am hoping that someone, somewhere, can provide some insight on what's going on... I love my baby and just want him back to normal :-(
Since I'm a lady, my Prelude is a gentleman ;-) smile
Also, if anyone has any tips on an auto shop in the DC/MD/VA area that specializes in older Hondas, that would be great! Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you!!!

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Welcome.

First off, whats the code you're getting for the check engine light?
Second, if the shops didn't finish the repair and insisted on changing parts when you already had paperwork showing the work had been done - they are shady and hopefully you got a refund of some sort.

My initial thought is your EGR ports are clogged, which is very common.

It could also be a dirty fuel filter or even injector. But without knowing the code, it's all a shot in the dark. I'm betting it's a multiple misfire code.

Worst case, your piston rings or valve seals are in need of replacement. Those shops should have done a compression and leak down tests if their assumption was "burning oil". Something tells me they did not.

I also hope they used the proper Iridium spark plug.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Wing8806
@Wing8806 - Thank you for your thoughtful reply!!! To answer your question, I've compiled a list of what's been done in the past 3 months since the Check Engine light came on. I've tried to include every detail, so please bear with me and forgive me for the "book".

EXISTING CONDITION (prior to Check Engine Light)
  • Prelude started perfectly and ran smoothly while driving. No noise or chatter.
  • Slight engine oil leak: noticed a few drops of oil on the ground

NEW ISSUES AS OF AUGUST 28, 2021
  • Prelude’s “Check Engine” light came on: After the Check Engine light came on, it started sputtering upon initial start up and idles “rough” when idling.
  • AutoZone OBD reader codes
    • P0302 – Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
    • P1399 – Misfire in any Cylinder

MECHANIC #1 ASSESSMENT
  • OBD reader codes
    • P0301 – Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
  • Mechanic #1 thought that Idle Air Control Valve might need to be replaced, but wasn’t sure
  • Mechanic #1 thought that vibration may be due to misfiring, but wasn’t sure
  • Mechanic #1 thought Engine Mounts may need to be replaced and may also be contributing to rattling/chatter when vehicle is idling
MECHANIC #1 did the following work:
  • Replaced 4 Spark Plugs and Coil (first new set)
  • Replaced the Distributor Cap, Distributor Rotor and Distributor/Ignition Wires
  • Cleaned throttle body
  • Tightened drive belts
NEW ISSUES AS OF SEP 4, 2021 – after Mechanic #1’s work:
  • SMOKE coming from tailpipe
  • Slight RATTLING /CHATTER from engine area while idling in park or sitting at stop
  • CHECK ENGINE light kept turning on intermittently
  • FUEL GAUGE shows needle dropping faster
    • Fuel economy has drastically reduced since Check Engine light came on
  • Took Prelude back to Mechanic #1 multiple times - said the spark plugs keep fouling; after replacement, he cleaned them several times but check engine light kept coming back on

MECHANIC #2 ASSESSMENT
  • OBD reader codes
  • Tech found Intake Cam Timing Mark off by one tooth
MECHANIC #2 did the following work:
  • Replaced 4 Spark Plugs (second new set)
  • Replaced the Distributor Cap and Distributor/Ignition Wires
  • Removed throttle body and de-carboned throttle body
  • Cleaned Idle Port
  • Cleaned Fast Idle Motor oprt
  • Reset Timing Belt to Mark
  • Replaced 4 Spark Plugs again (third new set)
NEW ISSUES AS OF NOV 5, 2021 – after Mechanic #2’s work:
  • Slight RATTLING /CHATTER from engine area while idling in park or sitting at stop - still existent
  • CHECK ENGINE light turned back on and stayed on
  • FUEL GAUGE still shows needle dropping quickly
    • Fuel economy has drastically reduced since Check Engine light came on
  • More SMOKE coming from tailpipe
    • Mechanic #2 said "it's an older engine, so it's going to smoke"
  • Took Prelude back to Mechanic #2 multiple times - he can't figure out why Check Engine light is staying on

MD VEIP EMISSIONS RESULTS FROM 11/09/2021: FAIL
  • OBD reader codes
    • P0303 – Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
    • P0304 – Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
    • P0300 – Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
  • KOEO Result: Pass
  • KOER Result: FAIL
  • Communication Result: Pass
  • Tamper Result: Pass
  • MIL Command Status: FAIL
  • EMISSIONS WAIVER: issued due to repairs

I hope these details provide a better idea of what is going on. Any suggestions or advice you can provide would be so greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what I have learned from these forums is that the h22 does burn oil, so keep a gallon on u just in case but check the spark plugs. I once put too much anti-seize on my plugs and smoke and misfires were happening. Try cleaning out the cylinders with a rag wrapped around the ratchet extension. See if any residue is coming out.

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
Starting to sound like you need the EGR valve and ports cleaned. I've had to do this twice in the past 50k miles. Unless the fuel filter is also getting clogged, which if never done is possible, i'd start with the EGR.

I would be a little concerned with the timing being off a tooth and repaired. Hopefully your tensioner is not on its way out and the chatter isn't the belt - possible if the noise is coming from the timing cover. Makes me also wonder if the balance shafts are not aligned either - but since it's a newer issue, i'd say you have a bad motor mount for the vibration.

The damper beneath the front grill (attached to the back side of the bumper beam, looks like a long cylinder) is also likely broken and causing some vibration/noise - you can simply remove that one without repercussions if so.

Hopefully you're not losing coolant/ see it mixing with the oil. If so, a lot of white smoke could mean a head gasket issue. Faint blue tinted smoke would be an oil leak.

Reactions: Trixie

·
Administrator
6,992 Posts
From what I have learned from these forums is that the h22 does burn oil, so keep a gallon on u just in case but check the spark plugs. I once put too much anti-seize on my plugs and smoke and misfires were happening. Try cleaning out the cylinders with a rag wrapped around the ratchet extension. See if any residue is coming out.
Yes they burn oil just as much as any older high mileage Honda, but it's all fixable. Unless your piston rings are destroyed, it's likely just valve seals. I recently replaced mine and no longer burn oil at 163k. My 290,000 mile Si burns a quart every 3k, and valve seals are next on that list too.

I don't recommend sticking anything into the cylinders besides a borescope, ever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Wing8806 Thank you so much for the advice!!! I truly appreciate your pearls of knowledge. I am definitely going to share your wisdom with the next mechanic. I found one who was willing to take a look and not charge me unless he knew he could fix it. <Fingers crossed> Wish me luck. Hopefully, 3 times is a charm!!!
As a side note, if you happen to know of any auto technicians or shops in the DC / MD / VA that work on older Hondas, please let me know. It has been extremely difficult finding that kind of expertise in this region. Most shops only work on new vehicles and primarily routine maintenance.
Thank you again!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@omarreynoso Yes, since I got the car last year, I have been keeping a gallon of oil in the car! Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2000 Prelude, Base, Manual, Turbo'd
1 Posts
@Trixie You should try
Foreign Auto Experts Co
6350 S Hanover Rd C, Elkridge, MD 21075

The owner was a Honda mechanic for a few decades before he started his own shop. When I'm not able to do the work myself I take my lude there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Trixie You should try
Foreign Auto Experts Co
6350 S Hanover Rd C, Elkridge, MD 21075

The owner was a Honda mechanic for a few decades before he started his own shop. When I'm not able to do the work myself I take my lude there.
@spazoid You are awesome!! Thank you so much for the tip! I will definitely be taking my Prelude to them next week!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts