Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unlike a lot of people I see posting on here, who are posting about 5 lug swaps, i actually have the parts and know how to do it.

i have a wrecked 5th gen so i took all the spindles and what not off of it to put on my 4th gen. well stupid me i sold the front calipers before deciding to do the swap.

so the question is should i just buy used front v-tec calipers and not worry bout new ones?

and i was wondering if people that have done the swap replaced the bearings and ball joints, while having the car all apart.

thats the last piece to the puzzle before the swap takes place. oh and new rotors.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Get used calipers and rebuild them if necessary... But if you can score a re-man set for close to the same price, do that.

When I swapped mine I replaced the wheel bearings all around, wheel studs, and ball joints as needed (minimum re-grease and replace boot).

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
If you have the cash to replace ball joints and wheel bearings...and you plan on keeping your car for a long time then by all means do it. I only replaced a wheel bearing that was going out on mine when I did the 5 lug swap. I would recommend doing the front wheel bearings if you have the cash/time.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
If you have the cash to replace ball joints and wheel bearings...and you plan on keeping your car for a long time then by all means do it. I only replaced a wheel bearing that was going out on mine when I did the 5 lug swap. I would recommend doing the front wheel bearings if you have the cash/time.
how would you change the wheel bearings? is it cheap and easy or is it better to get a mechanic to do it?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
how would you change the wheel bearings? is it cheap and easy or is it better to get a mechanic to do it?

it requires you to pull the spindles off the car, have the hub pressed out of the bearing, have the bearing pressed out of the spindle, have the new bearing pressed into the spindle, and have the hub pressed back into the bearing.

it is nearly impossible to do without a press, and so, most people are better off taking it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Unlike a lot of people I see posting on here, who are posting about 5 lug swaps, i actually have the parts and know how to do it.

i have a wrecked 5th gen so i took all the spindles and what not off of it to put on my 4th gen. well stupid me i sold the front calipers before deciding to do the swap.
5th gen

4th gen

i'm interested to know...you've measured the knuckles, and they are indentical in specs? same height, same rotational angle, same steering arm length?

i'd hate to see camber issues or bumpsteer cause you to total a second car.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I imagine the spindles are the same just different bolt holes for brake line brackets etc. Ive noticed that alot of honda spindles are the same looking so I wanna see pics after install on this...

·
Registered
175 Posts
As far as the wheel bearings go you can take the spindles and new bearings to any machine shop that has a press and they should be able to do it right in front of you in about 20 min or so, shouldn't cost a whole lot, I would replace the lower ball joints at the same time seeing as they have to be pressed in and out also and are relatively cheap compared to the wheel bearing.

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
id say buy legend calipers, thats what I did, and as far as replacing the balljoints, now would be the opportune time since your spindle isn't on the car yet, just take it to a shop and have them press out the old BJs and bearing and do now, as it is the perfect time.

so the question is should i just buy used front v-tec calipers and not worry bout new ones?

and i was wondering if people that have done the swap replaced the bearings and ball joints, while having the car all apart.

thats the last piece to the puzzle before the swap takes place. oh and new rotors.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
You only have to have a press for the front bearings. The rear, you just change the hub.

I upgraded from the si calipers to the legend gs calipers, brembo blanks, goodridge ss lines, and hawk hps pads. I really couldn't tell much of a difference, except my brake fade is now inexisitent.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i replaced all the ball joints and bearings before i swapped it, also bought new pads and made sure everything worked.
when you do the 5 lug, DO NOT drop it too much, i had mine slammed on the floor and it cost me one of the new bearings i put in (passanger front).

·
Banned
1,118 Posts
i replaced all the ball joints and bearings before i swapped it, also bought new pads and made sure everything worked.
when you do the 5 lug, DO NOT drop it too much, i had mine slammed on the floor and it cost me one of the new bearings i put in (passanger front).
really? i have the 5 lug done, and have never heard about being careful about not lowering it too much as it can wear out wheel bearings fast... is this like true true, can anyone else verify this? it could be important info for alot of people to know

·
Oh Gee
2,276 Posts
really? i have the 5 lug done, and have never heard about being careful about not lowering it too much as it can wear out wheel bearings fast... is this like true true, can anyone else verify this? it could be important info for alot of people to know
normally caused because someone didnt torque the Axle nut the the right specs. (which i dont know, guessing about 180 ft/lbs)

·
Registered
765 Posts
well not only me but my friend with his 5th gen has had the same problem (we both slammed, well not anymore).

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I'm slammed, no problems. My friends 5th gen is slammed, no problems. Why would a 5th gen really have anything to do with it?

It's not an issue of how low you are really, it has to do with how you have installed/used your washer for the axle nut (if you even used one, if you didn't then theres your problem). If you do not have a washer or the right sized washer, you will run out of threads and the wheel bearing will not be seated entirely resulting in it taking a shit.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I'm slammed, no problems. My friends 5th gen is slammed, no problems. Why would a 5th gen really have anything to do with it?

It's not an issue of how low you are really, it has to do with how you have installed/used your washer for the axle nut (if you even used one, if you didn't then theres your problem). If you do not have a washer or the right sized washer, you will run out of threads and the wheel bearing will not be seated entirely resulting in it taking a shit.
umm yes i have the washer and yes its of hte same size, o well i guess wheel bearings are not my best friends but its ok, they are cheap anyways, lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts