Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need someone to tell me what i need to take off this 88 4ws to make the 4ws a complete system? I'm not sure what needs to come off with the 4ws rack ive only onwed two 4ws 3g's never had a one without it so im not sure what else need to be removed. Also I'm going to sell it and i want it to be complete as it can be . If anybody could that would be nice...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
search there write ups about it

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
You need to remove the front and rear steering racks, distribution shaft, rear sub-frame, and 4-way hose fitting. There is a write-up on www.prelude3g.com for doing the swap and includes a parts list.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
yup, the five parts listed above will get the whole system.

but the real trick is finding the door badges and the steering wheel emblem.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
oem honda there like $8 for badges and the sterring cap I spent maybe 20-30 for all three badges

it must have been awhile, those badges weren't available by themselves last year when i bought my white car.

the only way to get them now is to buy the entire sash and garnish piece (the metal track and the black plastic at the back of the glass)...and it's WAY expensive (list is $101).

i was buying the garnishes only (since mine were both broken), and the 4WS right side was discontinued. i got the last 4WS left side.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys yall always get a very quick response. thanks again for all yalls inputs. By the way the parts car still has all 4ws emblems if somebody wants them ill mail them whever just pay the shipping and $5 and there yours!!!! :):):)

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
I have like 4 of the door badges and like everyone said about the 5 parts also the 4-way powersteering hose connector is discontinued from honda so don't forget that if you are selling the 4ws. It's located on the rear crossmember
That was in my list above. Perhaps I should have made it bold? :) And it's actually located on the front crossmember.

You need to remove the front and rear steering racks, distribution shaft, rear sub-frame, and 4-way hose fitting. There is a write-up on www.prelude3g.com for doing the swap and includes a parts list.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
do not forget all the bolts for the system.

luckily, the only hardware that differs are the two that go thru the inner bushings on the rear lower control arms. (2ws are normal bolts, 4ws are eccentrics...and not the same as the 2ws toe adjustment bolts)

the 4 rear subframe bolts are the same.
the front rack bolts are the same.

of course, you'll want the pinch bolts on either end of the steering shaft, but those would/should come with the joints.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
:) And it's actually located on the front crossmember.

actually, it's located on top of the steering crossmember...towards the passenger side.

the front x-member is under the radiator, and the rear x-member is under the trunk.

working at a parts house (and a salvage yard) teaches you really quick about specificity.....or else you piss alot of people off pulling the wrong parts.

·
Premium Member
9,140 Posts
actually, it's located on top of the steering crossmember...towards the passenger side.

the front x-member is under the radiator, and the rear x-member is under the trunk.

working at a parts house (and a salvage yard) teaches you really quick about specificity.....or else you piss alot of people off pulling the wrong parts.
Thanks for correcting me. I've been calling that the front crossmember all this time. I guess my main point was that the 4-way fitting is mounted to the same crossmember as the front steering rack.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i've spent the last six years trying to decipher left from passenger's and driver's from right, and front from rear and both from middle/rack.

"I need the right headlight"

so you need the passenger side headlight?

"well, it's on the right side as i'm looking at the car......"

oh, so you need the driver's side, correct?

"uhhhhhhhh, yeah?"

i've learned that i have to verify 'right' and 'left' with 'passenger' and 'driver' for better than half of the people i deal with on a daily basis.

since the hondas had two crossmembers up front for years, it's just easier to say 'rack crossmember' so there is no confusion.

now if i can just get people to stop asking for a-frames when they actually want control arms.

a-frames are what is holding the roof up on your house, a-arms are what might be involved in your suspension.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know what you mean i work at a tire store and people always saying that same shit lmao

1 - 15 of 15 Posts