Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I love my car and its 4WS... People always think I am an idiot when I tell them I have 4 wheel steering because they think I mean 4WD. One guy seen me pulling out of a parking lot and flagged me down to tell me my real wheels were wobbling back and forth but when I explained what he just seen he was dumbfounded...even after I showed him the steering box and everything!

I know the 4WS is one of the best reasons to have this car; if it wasn't for that feature I would have moved on to something 'better' long ago. My car has 310,000 miles on it with no rebuilds (one coming up) and has some blow-by on cylinder 1 but no smoke....yet. Till I get it fixed up I am taking it easy on the motor because I am getting the valve tap of sound even with correct lash settings.

Anyway, I have always wondered how 'far' the 4WS system could go as far as angle with a modified steering knuckle. I have thought about mocking up something in AutoCAD and having a prototype made to shorten the knuckle arm length a little to increase the steering deflection. Seeing this is a VERY critical part I wouldn't want to mess about too much here but I wonder what kind of affect (effect) you would get with 1-2 more deg of deflection. I know that one angle that you can not exceed is the crab steer angle (front and rear tires pointing in same direction) or the back end will step out (actually IN not out!) in turns making the car unstable. The other thing very related is that seeing there is no way to 'bypass' the crab steer 'mode', so if the front and rear tires where set to be at equal parallel paths during full 'crab steer' you would effectively have a dead spot in your steering where the car would try to crab left or right but not actually turn in a corner. So given that you would have to keep the rear wheels max angle less than the front during 'crab steer mode'.

So anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? Did I miss anything worth mentioning? Just don't bother saying you shouldn't play with it;...it is just a hypothetical idea...for now! Just imagine the turning radius! I wonder if you could acutally squeeze any better handling out of it with this?

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
i think it would be fun to mess with it, but i would keep your current system intact and get another 4ws rack to do this work with

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep in mind that when they was creating this system they HAD to make it intuitive so that ANYONE could drive the car...that means they had to make it simple and predicable....even for a 90 year old woman. With that said I am sure they had to 'tune back' a few things. I am sure that the R&D had a ball trying different settings and probably had some setups that were insane for road grip and fun but were hard to 'understand' or control if you didn't know what was going on. I think that given what I just put above that the system may have been tamed a bit or dumb-ed back so that everyone could handle it...

·
Registered
836 Posts
i think it might be kinda cool to see what you could make it do

but consider how much research and trial and error Honda did when they created it, there was likely a teams of engineers working to get it just right, something tells me you won't be able to out-do the R&D department of a company like Honda

feel free to try tho, just don't try any high speed corners where you can injure someone else

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think it might be kinda cool to see what you could make it do

but consider how much research and trial and error Honda did when they created it, there was likely a teams of engineers working to get it just right, something tells me you won't be able to out-do the R&D department of a company like Honda

feel free to try tho, just don't try any high speed corners where you can injure someone else
Suspension is tricky it is true! But, people are crafty....some guy made a B20A5 into a Vtech motor for crying out loud! I think if I ever do any thing with my idea it would be 'reversible' because the only way I can see to modify the system is to have new parts made so the originals would be intact just in case Honda DID know what they were doing all along! I love the story about the guy from Honda that was overly confident in the 4WS and plowed right off the road LOL.:tounge:

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Suspension is tricky it is true! But, people are crafty....some guy made a B20A5 into a Vtech motor for crying out loud! I think if I ever do any thing with my idea it would be 'reversible' because the only way I can see to modify the system is to have new parts made so the originals would be intact just in case Honda DID know what they were doing all along! I love the story about the guy from Honda that was overly confident in the 4WS and plowed right off the road LOL.:tounge:
You can make it steer steeper, but I can already see whats going to happen. Its going to be too much.

But only way to learn is the hard way....

·
Registered
954 Posts
Well just so you all know, I am not stupid. If i were to do this I would take it to an empty parking lot or some place where there are no people. No need to go right to the streets.
Could be fun. Set yourself out a big circle of cones or whatever, drive around as fast as you can until the car starts to slide out. Alter the setting a little, drive around again.

Just might get a bit dizzy trying to figure it all out. :spinface:

·
Premium Member
9,106 Posts
I wish I had the kind of spare time it's gonna take for you to do this. I'm lucky if I can spend half a day per month to work on my ludes any more. Have fun and make sure to document everything you try so that you will be able to reproduce something if it works well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts