Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my friend totaled his 4th gen prelude and he had KYB struts and Skunk2 coilovers. He plans to sell his setu to me. Everything's still in good shape and I can take pretty much all I need. I've got a 98 SH and was wondering if I could just take the entire assembly from his suspension and put it on my car without having to take apart my old suspension to use parts from. I heard that the suspensions on both cars are exactly the same, but you have to completely replace it if you have a type SH.

Would I need a spring compresssor if I don't take apart the assembly from my car? I'm thinking its just going to be a direct replacement, but I need to have this confirmed before I start going at it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The shocks and springs should be a straight trade out but I'm not sure about the shock hats.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
The shocks and coilovers should swap over just fine. You won't need a spring compressor when putting coilovers on.

Reactions: warder

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
You only need a compresor if you are replacing either the struts OR the springs. If you are switching out your struts AND coils for his, they just unbolt as a whole unit. Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I meant. So I use the wishbone thing that the CV shaft goes through and top mount from my car? I think I have it figured out now, thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will the top part with 3 bolts on the top of the struts from a 4th gen fit on a 5th gen? And also in the back where it has 2 bolts? Because if not, wouldn't I need a spring compressor to get that part off of the shocks already on the car?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I got the suspension on without a hitch. Thanks again for the help. I was wondering since it was a used suspension will it still need to settle in? We only had it off his car for a day... The back seems to already be settled fine, but the front still seems like it needs to go lower. On his car he had the front lower than the back, so I thought it was weird that the back was sitting lower than the front on mine so far. Is this something different about the 5th gens? Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts