Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year I drive to work in the dark and I drive home in the dark. Thus, I'm driving with the headlights on more often than not. I drove this car off and on for the past 8 years and have driven it exclusively since Oct. 07 so I'm pretty used to it. However, it seems that lately the headlights aren't as illuminating as they should be. The high beams rock, but can rarely have them on.

I can't recall the last time I changed the low beam bulbs, but can they become weak over time? If I were to replace them, what would be the most powerful kind of bulbs I could get which would be a direct drop in for stock headlights? I'm pretty sure the current ones are halogens, but is there a more powerful halogen or perhaps something else I could use? Perhaps even new halogens would be brighter?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
usually the brighter ones burn hotter and melt the inside housing of your headlight thus messing your headlights up... now theres a set called angel star or something like that maybe... about 40bucks at your local autozone and they are great... give your headlights a good cleaning... that might help

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
I like my silverstars.. yeah headlights dim over time.
Silverstar seem to be the best for the price. The biggest issue is how quickly they go out. I have bought 3 packs in 1 year time because they went out. I went to Honda and bought some lights there because they are lifetime warranty. Only $30. They are decent, but you cant go wrong with lifetime warranty.:emthup:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
yes headlights dim over time, just got to your local auto store and browse, look at the ligh outut etc. And 40 dollar lights are gonna be better than the bargain 10 dollar ones

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the piaa h1s on my 5th gen and their pretty bright.They have also lasted me for almost a year and a half i think.A little pricey but i say its worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'm not too worried about melting the housing since the entire housing is GLASS. They'd have to get pretty darn hot to melt those! ;) And I clean the lenses off everyday when I arrive at work.

I'll do a little shopping. I know these bulbs have been in there quite a while so it may be time for fresh ones.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
ok to the guy that goes thru so many siverstars its because you touch them you cannot put your fingers on the bulb it ruins them if you do touch them take a microfibe cloth and wipe it off the oils on your skin make them go out fast. as far as cleaning the glass he meant the inside not outside and still not sure why you clean them everyday anyway. Silverstar and piaa are both good i use xenon 9005 with a 4000k or somethin they are bright white. Also maybe look into new headlights there are many types that may inprove it

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
ok to the guy that goes thru so many siverstars its because you touch them you cannot put your fingers on the bulb it ruins them if you do touch them take a microfibe cloth and wipe it off the oils on your skin make them go out fast. as far as cleaning the glass he meant the inside not outside and still not sure why you clean them everyday anyway. Silverstar and piaa are both good i use xenon 9005 with a 4000k or somethin they are bright white. Also maybe look into new headlights there are many types that may inprove it
If you are talking to me, yes I know not to touch the bulbs, I have been doing this a little longer than you. It is also well known that the Silverstar bulbs go out very quickly. It is not an issue with people touching the bulb with their bare hands as it is an issue with the bulb itself. Their was a thread on this as well where it was discussed.

Here is the thread about silverstars.
http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279308&highlight=Silverstar

So trust me, I will guarantee that it isnt me or any other person touching the bulb with their bare hand to cause it to go out.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
Ive ran into two bad sets with other cars and I personally dont see it being worth the money for silverstars, I just had to get new headlights yesterday and I went with some of those cool blue sylvanias for 12 bucks a piece from autozone and the guy asked me what kind of car I had and after I told him he only charged me for one of the bulbs and I looked outside and he had a clean ass Si civic.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i had a pair of xenons on my del sol for about 2 years and they never went out plus they were pretty bright. i just bought my prelude and my bulbs are dimming too i think ill throw those xenons on

1 - 12 of 12 Posts