Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: I was driving over a pass and my car shut down suddenly. Made it to a turnout and called for a tow. The driver used a test light to check fuses and found #4 blew. He replaced it and car ran and drove for a few miles, then blew the fuse again. I figured I could switch it out again but it started blowing immediately. Got another tow truck to come.
Bought a main relay and hooked it up. Same issue. I believe I fried my starter from repeated attempts, so replaced that.
Called a mobile mechanic who somehow got the fuse not to blow, although never got the car to start and was convinced it was a compression issue. I think the motor was flooded since the plugs were wet when he checked compression. Fuse blew after he left.
Replaced ignition switch and coil. Started and ran for 20 min or so. Shut it down and restarted a few times. Tried to drive to work today and fuse popped on the way.
CEL is on but haven't been able to get a code. I believe the fuse needs to be intact but that's just an assumption.
Fuse consistently blows immediately after ignition is in ON position. I've gone through a lot of them.
I don't even know where to start looking for a short. Electronic failure isn't really my cup of tea. Starting to think it may be the ECM.
I have watched some vids on hunting down a short but they usually involve tools I don't have. Also battery seems to be staying charged so not completely convinced it's a short.
11-56 of Helms says to check the fuse to PGM-FI relay wire. Will do so soon. Also saw a diagram for the circuit and it looks like fuse 4 goes to the alternator (letter A with a square around it) but not sure.
Anyway, thanks for your time and any help would be appreciated. Just got the link for 01 Helms from here. The one I have is 97-99

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not finding anything so far.
Gained access to the fuel pump and it looks like something was trying to nest there, but wiring looks fine. Harness seems loose and wondering if that's normal.
Fuse box is currently disconnected other than the multiplex, so can't tell if securing the harness will help.
Has anyone experienced something like this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts