Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With one would be better for Hi comp NA? I'am looking for power around 5-7krpm's.

4-1 2.25" into 2.5" exhaust OR 4-2-1 2.25" into 2.5" exhaust
+ twin loop at the end

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
As a general rule, 4->1 provides better top end power, and 4->2->1 provides a bit less power everywhere.

But I'm not aware of a good off-the-shelf header for us anyway, so it's kind of a moot point, unless you're going custom. And the ones we do have are 4->2->1. As is usually the case, quality is the most important thing.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unless you're going custom
Of course.

Anyone has a 4-1 on his prelude? Any benefits? Dyno chart?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
good luck^^^the best header i know of out there for us was the dc and thats not even made anymore....soviet has one hint hint...there is aso pacesetter, chikara, and a few others i believe but i have not ever heard of a 4-1 headerfor our cars unless of course as stated above you go custom.

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
true dat.

There is also a tri y that sean is currently trying to get going.

I can't remember the specifics but he said they are better than 4-1
That is put on hold for now, since everyone is unable to commit to purchasing the headers. I need to cover my costs in order to have them made. And although there are at least 3 solid buyers, its not enough to cover the cost to get the first one made.

I can jump on this at anytime once I get the committed numbers to back me up. Its just too high bill to take a chance on with people losing jobs and all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But Tri-Y is a 4-2-1 header.

So you think the 4-2-1 (Tri-Y) would be better then 4-1 for 4-7krpm's?

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
No.
That depends on the design of it not the configuration.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
noone makes a 4-1 header for our engines, yet.

4-1 is better for top end, while having a bit less power everywhere else
4-2-1 gives a good bump everywhere, but the top end gain isnt as much as what the 4-1 would supply

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I have a header thats a 4-1 design that i had customized for my car. I cut the flange off and had a B20a flange welded on. Simple!
To install you need to drop the front crossmember tho.
I took a B serious 4-1 race header and made it to fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
motoxxxman said:
noone makes a 4-1 header for our engines, yet.
I am going custom so it is not important.

motoxxxman said:
4-1 is better for top end, while having a bit less power everywhere else
Top end is like 4-7krpm's 5-7, 6-7 ?

SovietSuperSolider said:
I have a header thats a 4-1 design that i had customized for my car. I cut the flange off and had a B20a flange welded on. Simple!
To install you need to drop the front crossmember tho.
I took a B serious 4-1 race header and made it to fit.
I will get a CNC cut flange and build all over new 4-1 header.
Any gains from 4-1?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
i know this an old thread but my friend found a 4-1 header on andysautosport. i was wanting to get a s&s 4-2-1. i know that 4-1 makes better top end, and the 4-2-1 spreads it out. my friend found an article on honda tuning were they tested the two types of headers on a b-series motor (not sure what motor) the 4-2-1 made slightly more power up to 6k after that all the way up to 8.5k the 4-1 made more power. what i want to know is which is better for our motors?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
i know this an old thread but my friend found a 4-1 header on andysautosport. i was wanting to get a s&s 4-2-1. i know that 4-1 makes better top end, and the 4-2-1 spreads it out. my friend found an article on honda tuning were they tested the two types of headers on a b-series motor (not sure what motor) the 4-2-1 made slightly more power up to 6k after that all the way up to 8.5k the 4-1 made more power. what i want to know is which is better for our motors?
I think that you pretty much answered your own question right there, although the b-series engine they used obviously wasn't a 3rd gen b-series engine if it went to 8.5k. If the 4-2-1 made better power up to 6k, you are almost at red-line where it starts to drop off. You can't use much of the power made after 6k anyway.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts

i dont want to get into too much detail because i dont want to blow up anyones secrets but if its the Yonaka header on adys than it does not fit...trust me....

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think that you pretty much answered your own question right there, although the b-series engine they used obviously wasn't a 3rd gen b-series engine if it went to 8.5k. If the 4-2-1 made better power up to 6k, you are almost at red-line where it starts to drop off. You can't use much of the power made after 6k anyway.
On the other hand, it probably better everywhere enough, it would still be a big improvement, even though its not tuned for an rpm range our engines can use.

Our manifolds really suck:huh2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts