Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Honda Prelude Si ALB
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so I have searched and say all the threads on the seat belts not function correctly. But those threads are like 10 years old. Has anyone had good luck getting a honda dealer to fix them? I heard about some people putting Canadian seat belts in, but I have no idea where you would find those. The seat belts tighten when I slam on the brakes. But they will not retract back when you unbuckle them. So has anybody had any luck getting them fixed?

Thanks Sam

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
Ok guys so I have searched and say all the threads on the seat belts not function correctly. But those threads are like 10 years old. Has anyone had good luck getting a honda dealer to fix them? I heard about some people putting Canadian seat belts in, but I have no idea where you would find those. The seat belts tighten when I slam on the brakes. But they will not retract back when you unbuckle them. So has anybody had any luck getting them fixed?

Thanks Sam
Canadian seat belts require full door cards, rear panels, and seatbelts.
Then you need to weld in a thread nut for the mail bolt to secure the belts too the rear pillar.
But you will need to find a Canadian car parting out all that stuff specific to your year cause the panels are not universal to all the chassis.

Or you can order my replacement SeatBelt Torque springs to replace the old ones.
- 1FunRyd - SeatBelt Constant Torque Springs - 88-91 Honda...

Or are you saying your seatbelts do not click in? If thats the case, call your Honda dealer and have them setup a warranty replacement for your car.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then you need to weld in a thread nut for the mail bolt to secure the belts too the rear pillar.
But you will need to find a Canadian car parting out all that stuff specific to your year cause the panels are not universal to all the chassis.

Or you can order my replacement SeatBelt Torque springs to replace the old ones.

Or are you saying your seatbelts do not click in? If thats the case, call your Honda dealer and have them setup a warranty replacement for your car.
Yea I don’t really want to do the whole Canadian swap. My seat belts click in just fine they just don’t retract when you unclick them and get out of the car. They hang down and make the door not shut. Then they don’t want to retract properly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Your part looks like they will work But I really don’t know if I want to spend that much money. Maybe I can get my parents to pay for part of it since it is a “safety” part!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sean sells a retract kit that works well. Honda is not going to fix them.

Cheers
nigel
He posted the link for them. They are just kind of expensive at $165.

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
He posted the link for them. They are just kind of expensive at $165.
Sam this is what it means to support a 30 year old car.
Many parts no longer exist which means that when someone makes a replacement part it costs more due to it not being in production anymore.

You need to learn that now. And at this age, any other prelude you find in a junkyard will all have pretty much the same issue. Which by the way is the most common issue in these cars, since they are all the same.

But, first try to call your local Honda dealer and ask for a warranty replacement for your car, and do not let them try to get out of replacing them, it is for the life of the car.
So they will have to put in an order, but all depends on how persistent you are in getting them to do it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sam this is what it means to support a 30 year old car.
Many parts no longer exist which means that when someone makes a replacement part it costs more due to it not being in production anymore.

You need to learn that now. And at this age, any other prelude you find in a junkyard will all have pretty much the same issue. Which by the way is the most common issue in these cars, since they are all the same.
Yea At least The car only cost $400 with no problems other than the regular 3rd gen stuff. I guess this gives me room to spend money on it. When I get a job which I will get when I get my liscene I want to do a lot to this car. Exhaust and all that stuff. Right now all my money is going into my opel gts and my dirt bikes and snowmobile.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
I installed Sean's springs in the last 3rd gen I owned. They improved the seat belt retraction but didn't completely fix the problem. I still had to "help" them retract fully. It's just something I got used to doing after driving 3rd gens for almost 15 years. It became second nature to reach over and make sure it retracted all the way each time I got out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
I installed Sean's springs in the last 3rd gen I owned. They improved the seat belt retraction but didn't completely fix the problem. I still had to "help" them retract fully. It's just something I got used to doing after driving 3rd gens for almost 15 years. It became second nature to reach over and make sure it retracted all the way each time I got out of the car.
Did you clean the belts, because it literally states that in the manual?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea that is what I have to do. It is pretty annoying.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the opposite problem with my seat belts. They retract just fine but the front two seat belts will not lock out no matter how hard or fast I pull on them. I did contact my local Honda dealership to inquire about the lifetime warranty on them (I even have the warranty pamphlet that came with the car). They wanted to charge me a $160 diagnosis fee but said it would be refunded if the seatbelts were found to be faulty. That kind of pissed me off so I never did go through with it. Anyone can tell if a seatbelt doesn't work...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the opposite problem with my seat belts. They retract just fine but the front two seat belts will not lock out no matter how hard or fast I pull on them. I did contact my local Honda dealership to inquire about the lifetime warranty on them (I even have the warranty pamphlet that came with the car). They wanted to charge me a $160 diagnosis fee but said it would be refunded if the seatbelts were found to be faulty. That kind of pissed me off so I never did go through with it. Anyone can tell if a seatbelt doesn't work...
I think they only lock is if you slam on the brakes. Have you tried that yet?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think they only lock is if you slam on the brakes. Have you tried that yet?
It's a purely mechanical device, meaning they should lock regardless if your braking or not. It should lock with any reasonable amount of pressure to the belt. I've tried yanking on them as fast and hard as possible and get zero lockout. An example, someone collides with you head up and you aren't pressing the brakes, the seatbelt should still engage.

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
It's a purely mechanical device, meaning they should lock regardless if your braking or not. It should lock with any reasonable amount of pressure to the belt. I've tried yanking on them as fast and hard as possible and get zero lockout. An example, someone collides with you head up and you aren't pressing the brakes, the seatbelt should still engage.
If you clean the system out and the locking mechanism is still not working, then I would drive to your nearest Honda dealer and have them write you up for a warranty replacement. And they have to honor it because its not reliant on the original owner, its for whomever owns the car at present since its still a Honda product and a safety issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you clean the system out and the locking mechanism is still not working, then I would drive to your nearest Honda dealer and have them write you up for a warranty replacement. And they have to honor it because its not reliant on the original owner, its for whomever owns the car at present since its still a Honda product and a safety issue.
What exactly do you mean by system? I've looked in the manual on the inspection criteria and it's pretty vague. It also says to not disassemble the retractor. I'm afraid if I go messing with it that Honda won't honor the warranty.
Line Font Triangle Parallel Art

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Did you clean the belts, because it literally states that in the manual?
Of course I did, Sean. Do you seriously think I'd fork over that kind of money without doing the free things first? ;) There is too much mechanical drag on the belts by design. Which only gets worse over time as things wear. Passive restraints were the answer to a problem that didn't exist. So glad they didn't last long, but too bad it happened during 3rd gen Prelude production.

·
Super Moderator
17,498 Posts
What exactly do you mean by system? I've looked in the manual on the inspection criteria and it's pretty vague. It also says to not disassemble the retractor. I'm afraid if I go messing with it that Honda won't honor the warranty.
No, do not take it apart, I meant if it seems broken then there is your answer.
But clean the belts first and then lubricate the metal mechanism, and see if that fixes it.

If not, then put the cover back on and do what I suggested at this point, the mechanism is defective and they have to replace it.

Of course I did, Sean. Do you seriously think I'd fork over that kind of money without doing the free things first? ;) There is too much mechanical drag on the belts by design. Which only gets worse over time as things wear. Passive restraints were the answer to a problem that didn't exist. So glad they didn't last long, but too bad it happened during 3rd gen Prelude production.
Ok. Well we did our best.

·
Premium Member
9,023 Posts
Ok. Well we did our best.
No worries Sean, the springs did improve things. It's just hard to overcome a bad design. Some people who bought your springs reported that they fixed their seat belt retraction issues. I just wanted guys to know that they might not totally fix things for them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts