Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with headers for 2.0S 3rd Gen sohc header? I'd like to find a good one if there's one out there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
money is best spent elsewhere like on a PGMFI head and ecu.
Thank you for your invaluabvle advice. Does anyone have anything intelligent to say?
I race a 2.0 S in a sohc class - and do very well, beating very hot Neons, 240s, Mustangs, etc.
I am looking for a good header. If anyone has one, I' like to talk.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
16,649 Posts
Thank you for your invaluabvle advice. Does anyone have anything intelligent to say?
I race a 2.0 S in a sohc class - and do very well, beating very hot Neons, 240s, Mustangs, etc.
Thank you.
Good luck bro, you will not find one. You are better off going to a known header fabricator and having one built.

DC used to make them over 10 years ago, but they never made as many units as the Fuel Injected models.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Thank you.
The restricting information you provided in this post would have benefited you to place in your initial post to increase the chance of viable replies in a timely manor. Receipt of invaluable information can be credited to negligence on your part. Also the rare chance of someone actually having a mass produced sohc bastard b header is slim to none as sean mentioned. GL on your search.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The restricting information you provided in this post would have benefited you to place in your initial post to increase the chance of viable replies in a timely manor. Receipt of invaluable information can be credited to negligence on your part. Also the rare chance of someone actually having a mass produced sohc bastard b header is slim to none as sean mentioned. GL on your search.
Actually a couple of manufacturers did sell them in the day, and there have been some offered for sale on this site a few years ago, but I didn't need one then. I expect that somebody has one, and will pm me.

btw. I've got a room full of trophies that says that a properly prepared 3gen sohc Prelude is the match for almost anything under 2.5 litres. Including injected cars. Probably faster than what you're driving.
People slag them because they don't understand them. Look at the twin side-draft carbs, and then look at a racing bike. Basically the same unrestricted airflow as a set of Mikunis, with some extra plumbing that comes out.
With the right cam, jetting, suspension, and a lot of experience it is a very fast car. The only guy to beat me in the championship the last 2 years is 1/3 my age, and runs an injected 4valve Nissan with a 20% bigger engine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually a couple of manufacturers did sell them in the day, and there have been some offered for sale on this site a few years ago, but I didn't need one then. I expect that somebody has one, and will pm me.

btw. I've got a room full of trophies that says that a properly prepared 3gen sohc Prelude is the match for almost anything under 2.5 litres. Including injected cars. Probably faster than what you're driving.
People slag them because they don't understand them. Look at the twin side-draft carbs, and then look at a racing bike. Basically the same unrestricted airflow as a set of Mikunis, with some extra plumbing that comes out.
With the right cam, jetting, suspension, and a lot of experience it is a very fast car. The only guy to beat me in the championship the last 2 years is 1/3 my age, and runs an injected 4valve Nissan with a 20% bigger engine.

·
Registered
746 Posts

So we all missed the boat on this awesome potential of carb performance on the B20A3. Thank god you came along now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we all missed the boat on this awesome potential of carb performance on the B20A3. Thank god you came along now.
I'm not saying you missed the boat, with your twin cam SI 3rd Gens. I have one of those too. A 1991 SR. But a well-prepared race car is going to out-perform pretty well any street car of the same model.
In 10 years of racing 3rd Gen 2.0 "S" Preludes, I've had about 3 dozen race wins, and over 150 Top-5 finishes, in a field of typically 30 cars. So yes, my car IS fast. But the competition doesn't rest, so neither can I. So that is why I'm looking for a good set of headers.
By the way, I built my first race car in 1972. It was a terrible car, by comparison, but I've managed to learn a few things since then.

·
Registered
746 Posts
But a well-prepared race car is going to out-perform pretty well any street car of the same model.
I'm getting the impression its more of your driving with the car's ability than its the cars ability in the speed department. Which is all great and what not. I just don't see an s model with the same $ amount out performing a SI (b20A5)

The $ amount to performance is what killed the S. And no one really likes carbs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting the impression its more of your driving with the car's ability than its the cars ability in the speed department. Which is all great and what not. I just don't see an s model with the same $ amount out performing a SI (b20A5)

The $ amount to performance is what killed the S. And no one really likes carbs.
That's the beauty of racing. You can do away with the emissions control stuff, and just deal with the science of what makes torque and horsepower. Stripped down to their essentials, Honda carbs are actually pretty effective. A good cam and other stuff helps too. Sure, sometimes racing can get a bit expensive if you let it, but I tend to do most of the grunt work myself, and leave the fine tuning to a genius dyno guy.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Actually, I believe that A series engine headers fit. The 2nd gen guys might have more information for you, but a few months ago I do believe someone used an exhaust manifold gasket off of one of their engines and it did fit. You might want to look into that, because they DO have exhaust manifolds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts