Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!
before i start about my build, ill give you a little bit of my background and how i come to love these awsome cars.

in 2000 i left school and started my apprentiship as a honda mechanic and bought my first car wich was a 2nd gen lude. I finished my apprenteship in 2004 and continued to work my way to being one of the head techintions. In 2006 i wanted more money and being a mechanic you dont get paid too well! i didnt want to leave honda so i went i became a parts intrepreter for honda,toyota & mercedes benz.

I LOVE HONDA!!

here are some pictures of my first 2nd gen

I spent shit loads of money doing it up, painted the car,wheels,suspension,reco engine,exhaust,clutch,tinted windows,big stereo,reco gear boxes.
i was very upset when i sold it i loved that car. i went through 3x gear boxs. the diffs arent vert strong for burn outs and drag racing!
So i had to make the disscion to sell it cause i thought i could do with something with a really strong diff.

so in 2003 i bought a V8 and all so spent shit loads on that too!! i modified brakes,suspnsion,engine,computer,transmission,diff,stereo,20" wheels, i put reverse sensors on it. i done heaps of stuff to it!

here is the V8 burn out machine

here is the car dumped on 20's

here is the first mod i did to the V8 :smile:

And when petrol prices went sky high i had to buy a cheap run around so thats when i bought my second 2nd gen and also keeping my v8. i bought another 2nd gen cause i love Honda & i miss the honda's handling and great fuel econnomey when your not thrashing the rings out of it! Then when we had the "GFC" (Global Financial Crisis) i had to make another dissison to sell one of my cars. So money was really tight for me. so i sold the v8 (also very upsetting!!) But i had my fun with it and i now have a whole lot more respect for speed, i had a few near misses!

here is the lude when it was my run around

so at that stage when i first got the car all i did was fit a 1st gen integra front bar & lip (the lip got ripped off cause its too low), lower the car and pissed off the cannon exhaust it had on it. and just before i sold the v8 i decided ill do the engine up for some power since ill bee loosing some when i sell.
so i built the engine up for turbo cause that was the original plans for my first 2nd gen if iwas going to keep it.

So as usual im spending lots of money AGAIN!!
the engine got:
full rebuild
forged pistons
rods
race bearings
p&p head
cam grind for turbo
o-ring block for copper head gasket
full blue printed and ballanced from crank pulley to fly wheel
oem fly wheel lightend & balanced
heavy duty clutch

the suspension got every single bush ball joint and bearing have been replaced with brand new items. New performance shocks and superlow springs.
The car now handles beautiful it was the best thing and i recommend it to anyone.
i also reconditioned the front & rear brake calipers and painted the calipers.

Now in 2009 i hated driving a car that looks so ruff and the paint was flaking off. so i started to catch the train to work and start stripping the car down to bare metal to respray it, fill the wholes for the moulds and repair all of the rust holes.

now painted in 2010

the car is now painted in Holden VE Clubsport "Voodoo blue" metalic pearl paint. It looks HOT!!

this where the car is at now im still working on the interior im looking for some trims that are in better condition than mine and im painting the trims in black.

still lots of work ahead of me im dieing to get it back on the road its going to be a sexy 2nd gen!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Good job. I like that you took the entire car down to bare metal before the respray. Nice choice on the color, very clean. Now for the fun part of putting everything back together again. Is there a turbo on it? I can't tell by the pics, but I don't see an intercooler or anything thay would suggest it is.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good job. I like that you took the entire car down to bare metal before the respray. Nice choice on the color, very clean. Now for the fun part of putting everything back together again. Is there a turbo on it? I can't tell by the pics, but I don't see an intercooler or anything thay would suggest it is.
thanks mate! no turbo on those pics. i did have a really shitty j pipe setup that didnt even last a month with standard exhaust system. so i have removed the turbo for now till its back ont the road and ill get a full 3" exhaust and a proper manifold.

i love your build, its perfect keep up the great work!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
thanks mate! no turbo on those pics. i did have a really shitty j pipe setup that didnt even last a month with standard exhaust system. so i have removed the turbo for now till its back ont the road and ill get a full 3" exhaust and a proper manifold.

i love your build, its perfect keep up the great work!

Thank you. She's far from finished, but I have high hopes. What size/type of turbo do you have?

3" is the way to go for sure. Your turbo was probably choking trying to blow through the stock exhaust system. I'm going 3" all the way to the back also.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. She's far from finished, but I have high hopes. What size/type of turbo do you have?

3" is the way to go for sure. Your turbo was probably choking trying to blow through the stock exhaust system. I'm going 3" all the way to the back also.
im going to run a garret t28. yes defently the stock system did chocke it but it wasnt just that my mate who made the j pipe didnt do a good job and the weight of the turbo made it crack at the flange. so its back to n/a.
we just done a j pipe just to see how it goes, it went pretty hard for a dodgy setup.
when i get my exhaust done im going to get the exhaust shop to have them put the exhaust tucked up as close to the floor of the car as possible. i dont want it scraping on the ground!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
...my mate who made the j pipe didnt do a good job and the weight of the turbo made it crack at the flange. so its back to n/a....
That sucks. A friend made my header, I'm hopeing it doesn't crack. It hasn't so far, but I haven't really gotten it hot yet either. He stacked three fat beads on top of each other at the flange, and used 1/4" plate steel for braces, so hopefully it holds.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sucks. A friend made my header, I'm hopeing it doesn't crack. It hasn't so far, but I haven't really gotten it hot yet either. He stacked three fat beads on top of each other at the flange, and used 1/4" plate steel for braces, so hopefully it holds.
is that the manifold that your using now? it looks great that shouldnt crack.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
is that the manifold that your using now? it looks great that shouldnt crack.
Yep. Here is a better pic to see the welds, and braces. They are fat, but he advised me not to grind them down. He was concerned about the weight of the turbo, but I think it will be ok.

·
Aussie Aussie Aussie
1,697 Posts
dude.. awesom build an great body wok... whn I'm back from Holidays I'll be doing something similar with the rebuild.. no turbo though.

Z

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep. Here is a better pic to see the welds, and braces. They are fat, but he advised me not to grind them down. He was concerned about the weight of the turbo, but I think it will be ok.
that manifold should do the job perfectly!
hey just a question with your wastegate. Why dd you mount it on pipe instead of straight on the manifold?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
...hey just a question with your wastegate. Why dd you mount it on pipe instead of straight on the manifold?
The manifold was designed for a B16/B18. The wastegate was ment to be directly over the downpipe, but I mounted the turbo backwards so that it would be easier to run piping to the FMIC. I still could have mounted the wastegate to the header, but I didn't want to vent it directly to atmosphere. The way it is setup now the wastegate vents into the downpipe, which should be quieter than just dumping the wastegate to atmosphere.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update

hi guys! its been awhile since i have updated this, i have done some bits and peices. just been really busy and the only time i can work on it is on weekends that im not working......which is rare!
im missing a whole heap of pics (not just my car build even other pic too) cause the memory card shit itself!

i pulled the front subframe off found there was some surface rust caused by a leaky alb pump, cleaned, treated and painted both the chasis, subframe and front and rear wheel arches.

i also cleaned and sprayed the boot (or "trunk" for you yanks lol!) and interior too.

i have also cleaned and sprayed the interior trims dash door trims in gloss black and top half of the trims - roof lining ect in satin black. i aslso swaped and cleaned the black seat belts and buckle from my spare parts car.
i also pulled the carpet from the other car and spent a whole day vacuum and shampooing.... the result just like new!

im still in the process of fitting the trims but the L/H rear 1/4 trim and rear seat will have to wait till im finished wirring the computer.

i also installed a boost and oil pressure gauges. im also still making up some brakets for the seats it should be finished this weekend if i dont get called into work.

so at the moment i have alot on my plate and alot of different things going on at once.
right now im rebuilding the alb system
wiring up a computer
fix up the oil leak from my head gasket
finish the inetrior
and the list goes on.

here are some more pics.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Looks great. The black rims look great with the blue.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts