Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing some research, and before I pull the trigger on a rebuild kit, I wanted to get some other feedback. This is somewhat for performance, but primarily for my sound system. I'm not looking to have anything too crazy (at least not yet), but I'm a very nitpicky basshead and like to go through and do everything the proper way. I know the factory Denso alternator is 60-65 amps, and I would like to get that over 150 amps to be the equivalent or so of today's factory alternators. My searches have turned up a few options for buying pre-built high output alternators for the 3rd gen prelude and up, but nothing for the second gens. There is a local alternator shop near me that I will be contacting in the next couple of days for a quote on upgrading if they even do that. The only other route which I'm assuming would be a little cheaper and a good learning experience is to rebuild my own with this kit: http://www.aspwholesale.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6105

Does anyone have any recommendations on rebuilding these alternators or any experience with an upgrade kit like this? Thanks in advance!

Edit: And just FYI, this will be in addition to running strong electrical and doing the big 3 in 1/0. Cheers

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
alternators

Only option is aftermarket high output alternator, fit a v belt pulley and modify mounts or make up mounts to fit on the engine and a suitable belt.

It's your only option you won't make std one output anymore amps.

Other option is mount a alternator on the front where AC pump would be if you don't have AC, and drive that with std one just to power the amps and 2nd battery in the boot with some 1-2 farad caps depending on how much power your going to be putting out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only option is aftermarket high output alternator, fit a v belt pulley and modify mounts or make up mounts to fit on the engine and a suitable belt.

It's your only option you won't make std one output anymore amps.

Other option is mount a alternator on the front where AC pump would be if you don't have AC, and drive that with std one just to power the amps and 2nd battery in the boot with some 1-2 farad caps depending on how much power your going to be putting out.
So that kit that I linked won't do anything? I'm going to be using substantial battery power and wiring, but even 150 amps would be doable. Has anyone else had theirs rebuilt or found a high output alt for the 2nd gens?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
alternator

Hmm which engine do you have? 1.8 carbed? or 2.0 injection?

If you have the injection engine yes maybe it might work, if it's carbed no that won't fit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm which engine do you have? 1.8 carbed? or 2.0 injection?

If you have the injection engine yes maybe it might work, if it's carbed no that won't fit.
2.0 Injection :grin:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I heard the 3geez guys are using Legend? and 4g Accord alternator in their cars and I'm pretty sure theres high output alternator available for the 4g Accord.

This doesn't apply to you since I have a DX and they have different pulley and brackets but I have some 80A Nissan alternator in mine. Stock 55A is a joke!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard the 3geez guys are using Legend? and 4g Accord alternator in their cars and I'm pretty sure theres high output alternator available for the 4g Accord.

This doesn't apply to you since I have a DX and they have different pulley and brackets but I have some 80A Nissan alternator in mine. Stock 55A is a joke!
Awesome! Did you have to do any modifications for that Nissan alt to work in yours? And I figured there wasn't a direct replacement for ours, especially not h/o, but I'll look around for more info on the legend and accord alts, that would be sweet! I'll post my findings when that time comes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts