Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new here, but here's my old beast. I have a good garage and now I can actually look towards fixing it.

I was told by the previous owner that the first owner was his mother. The A20 engine that came standard had siezed, so they took it back to the Honda dealer where it was fitted with the B20A. As far as I am told the maintenance was kept up with. It still surprises me how nice it is to drive.

Naturally as many young people who buy older cars find out, there is a lot of tail-chasing to getting on top of repairs and trying to figure out what previous mechanics had done. So far the only necessary repair has been a brake line, but there are more to-do repairs listed further down for when I have the resources.

So far the only thing I have changed is the wheels. It's currently running on 17x7.5's that I was able to pick up cheap as they were a wee bit buckled. It's sitting a bit like a monster truck but I'm not sure if I want to stick with the 17's or go a bit smaller. Either way I know I want to go wider - There are some fantastic roads to drive in New Zealand.

Things to repair/replace
  • Rust around rear window and sunroof
  • Timing belt replacement
  • Replace as many rubber bushes as I can (polyurethane?)
  • Basic set of straight wheels while I diagnose suspension issues
  • Power steering

Future mod plans
  • Manual swap + remove cruise control
  • Seats
  • Paint job
  • Clean up engine bay of 80's tech, update with ecu, coil ignition etc.
  • Engine swap
    • This is entirely dependent on how easy it is to find a manual gearbox + limited slip diff. A K20/24 swap could be fun but I'm not sure how realistic that would be. I would appreciate the advice!
  • Springs
    • I would love to throw a set of proper coilovers at this, but I've been told that nobody makes them for 2nd Gens. Would greatly appreciate the advice here too :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey, the forum is pretty dead. Idk if you arebin already but check out the: "Second Gen Prelude Owners Worldwide" group on facebook. You will get help there!

But just quick:
PU-Bushes - no company that makes them for the 2nd gen, you can pice PU-Bushes from other cars together (3rd gen Prelude, Civic, 3rd gen Accord etc.)

K swap has only been done once or twice and no real info on it. A guy in the facebook group is doing it right now tho. It is a lot of fabrication.

springs - old info!! meanwhile you even got options! haha there are 3 brands who do coilovers for our cars one of them even from AUS where you seem to be at.

Ceika (AUS), GAZ (GB), Hotbits (Malaysia i think) and there was Gecko and Yellowspeed at a time (bit can't fins them rn)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there, thanks for your reply! I will be sure to check out the facebook page. Thank you also for your info!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts