Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am slowly building my dream sleeper car and I was just curious if anyone knows if you can even do a 2JZ swap in a 1986 Honda prelude 2.0 si.. if not I was thinking maybe a k20. I'm just tired of trying to find parts for my engine and coming up short half the time cause my car is so old. If you have suggestions please feel free to share

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
�� Im calling troll!!

Lets say you are serious.... fuck no! 2jz is rwd 86 honda is fwd. Even if you could the car will no longer be a "sleeper" and the amount of fab work to the chassis, drive train and suspension will cost you shit loads of money. All the money you spent doing all of this you could have bought something alot better, faster and more reliable than a old prelude.
Also I very much doubt that you have the money or the brain capacity to do all the work yourself cause you wouldn't be on this forum asking such a fucking retarded question you toll!
Peace!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
2jz no shit! just sell the car its obvious you don't love it for what it is or you would take the time to search and or fabricate what you need to keep it going or swap an engine that will at least drive the right set of wheels! but if this was a serious question by a serious car person this wouldn't be a question!

and H I believe its spelt cunt! just saying

·
3,291 Posts
If you want to do an engine swap your best option a b series (1989+). Much better option instead of working the A series engine in my opinion

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
A18/20 hybrid

Just build what you have plenty of parts you can get to fit or make fit just look at Steve's turbo A20 and my N/A 200bhp A18/20 hybrid. It's not rocket science and we have all the information you need and to be honest 130-150bhp if more than enough power for these light cars anyway! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i decided that a 2jz just wasnt a good idea. I have now purchased a 98 prelude with h22a4 engine for 200 dollars. It has an auto tanny but id like to buy a reasonably priced h22 standard tranny. If anyone knows of somebody with one i am interested in buying.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Engine swaps

Well H22 can be done there is one user on here who has had a H22 swap professionally done. It's still a fair amount of work with custom subframes required, driveshafts, wiring, exhaust etc. And as you say best if you can find a manual rather than keeping the auto box.

While the H22 is out I'd suggest giving it a health check making sure compression is good, how clean it is inside no black sludge of death, maybe check bearings as well and renew all the seals etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you happen to know what sub frame wiring harness and motor mount kit i would need?

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
H22 swap

Isn't one off the shelf everything would have to be custom made to suit that's just the way it is. If you went for B16 you could get lucky and get a set of mounts at least a few have gone down that route. But H22 your on your own.

·
3,291 Posts
not to sound negative here but h series in a 2g is not practicle at all.

The motor will be sitting really low so your sump will be taking a beating on every speed hump

If i was you I would get a b20b from a crv, sir cable tranny and do a frankenstein conversion with a b16 head later or and you will have similar power with better gear ratio and aftermarket parts availability

another option is to get a a18 block, a20 head, rebore to 82mm and use oversized b16a pistons with b18B rods and turbo that bitch !

·
Registered
216 Posts
The motor sits low, but mine hasn't taken a beating over any speed humps...

not to sound negative here but h series in a 2g is not practicle at all.

The motor will be sitting really low so your sump will be taking a beating on every speed hump

If i was you I would get a b20b from a crv, sir cable tranny and do a frankenstein conversion with a b16 head later or and you will have similar power with better gear ratio and aftermarket parts availability

another option is to get a a18 block, a20 head, rebore to 82mm and use oversized b16a pistons with b18B rods and turbo that bitch !

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
A20

Why A18 just get A20 and rebore to 83mm and use 83mm B16/18 pistons no replacement for displacement as they say! :)

Or another cheap option is use your existing engine if it's A18, Nissan CA18DET pistons 83mm rebore, cam, headwork and valves, weber manifold, custom header and exhaust and bingo easy 200bhp.

But I guess depends on your smog laws etc.

·
3,291 Posts
Why A18 just get A20 and rebore to 83mm and use 83mm B16/18 pistons no replacement for displacement as they say! :)

Or another cheap option is use your existing engine if it's A18, Nissan CA18DET pistons 83mm rebore, cam, headwork and valves, weber manifold, custom header and exhaust and bingo easy 200bhp.

But I guess depends on your smog laws etc.
400hp or go home :baa:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ok so i decided that a 2jz just wasnt a good idea. I have now purchased a 98 prelude with h22a4 engine for 200 dollars. It has an auto tanny but id like to buy a reasonably priced h22 standard tranny. If anyone knows of somebody with one i am interested in buying.

You won't need just a standard transmission, but a new ECU, wiring harness, hydraulic clutch etc. I'm around your age (22) and even I know you're just making this harder than it needs to be.

If you want to use the h22a4 from the 1998 Prelude, you're gonna need to pull the engine out of that car, take out the wiring harness for extra material ( you'll need it for fabrication ) as well as the motor mounts. Sell the rest of the car to a Pick N Pull or something. Then, find a 1996-2001 Honda Prelude with a manual transmission, rip out the hardware you'll need from there.

After this, you'll need to become buddies with a local machine shop as they'll need to fabricate you a lot of parts to make this work. That's the point I'm making to you.

See, in my case, what I'm going for is first restoring my 1991 red 3rd Gen Prelude, interior and all, and then later, down the road, going for a swap to a manual when the automatic transmission inevitably meets its end. I'm not going to swap a newer VTEC motor in because, frankly, its too much work and too expensive, and while fixing the Prelude's interior will cost me around $400 for what i need to do, and the swap to a manual will cost me many hours and whatever I can find a decent mileage manual for (probably around $500-800) a full motor swap will be many times any potential car collector value.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts