Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
That's normal. The stock VTEC is at like 5200rpm and with the gearing, you will always end up dropping out of VTEC.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Actually, if you're taking it up to near fuel cut, you shouldn't drop out of VTEC. Your buddy is shifting smoother and faster than you. Let him drive your Prelude and I bet it stays in VTEC.

·
'01 Milano Red - BB615
982 Posts
Do you know why the check engine light is on?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's p1457 which is an evap leak but I dnt think it has anything to do with that ? I can stay in vtec in every other gear but just 1st to 2nd it's near impossible

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
That has everything to do with that. Fix your evap leak causing your check engine light and your car won't run in "limp" mode, which cuts your power.

If you don't want to fix your leak, then just plan on clearing your CEL every few times you drive the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It still drops out of vtec it's like it doesn't have enough power to break traction and grips then drops out. Thanks for helpin out

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Well, what's done to the car? How many miles are on it? What maintenance has been done to it? What tires are on it, and what makes you expect that it will spin in 2nd?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, what's done to the car? How many miles are on it? What maintenance has been done to it? What tires are on it, and what makes you expect that it will spin in 2nd?
123k miles maintenance wise I did timing belt, waterpump, spark plugs, spark plug wires, dizzy cap and rotor, and also valve adjustment , replaced front axles, new clutch and resurfaced flywheel and basic oil changes oem Honda 5w30.
As for mods I have greddy Evo exhaust, aem sri, upgraded valve springs and retainers, and black works 70mm throttle body and for tires they are off brand 205 zr 17 decenti. My friends lude seem to spin 1st to second no problem with brand name tires. What i noticed is my car seems to loose power on top end when I compared my lude vs my friends lude.

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Well hang on a second, what do you mean by "upgraded springs and retainers"? And why are you using a 70mm throttle body on a stock intake manifold?

Also, your tire size doesn't make sense, do you mean 205/45R17?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well hang on a second, what do you mean by "upgraded springs and retainers"? And why are you using a 70mm throttle body on a stock intake manifold?

Also, your tire size doesn't make sense, do you mean 205/45R17?
That's how I bought the car with those mods on there. And by valve spring and retainers I mean in the actual head and idk if the throttle body is prorted and matched and Actually it's 215 45 17 tire size idk wat the zr stands for

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Your car certainly sounds like it's up to date with being taken care of, but the mods seem wonky. Is it still running the factory OBD2 ECU, or does it have some kind of a tune?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your car certainly sounds like it's up to date with being taken care of, but the mods seem wonky. Is it still running the factory OBD2 ECU, or does it have some kind of a tune?
I believe it's the factory ecu and the previous owner did say he had some light tune but I had no idea how to tell being a newb he also offered me a apexi vafc or something like that not sure if he did anything to the car with it

·
Opinionated Bastard
7,274 Posts
Sounds like it's just thrown together with parts that don't work well with the factory ECU. A throttle body that big, with a stock header and no tune, is going to make it run like hot garbage.

Odds are, if you put a stock intake manifold top and throttle body on it, it would run a ton better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts