Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
YES ITS AN AUTO LET ME LIVE, it was rebuilt a 3 months ago and has 3000 miles on it since the rebuild. i bought a honda prelude a month ago, it was a little rough but seemed like a good solid car, im just gonna tell the story so i dont miss anything, a week after i got it the alternator took a crap so I changed that and the battery. I put a new radio in it and all new speakers. I then did a little tune up changed the oil, atf fluid (yes honda oem fluid), and spark plugs. I have been having weird issues with this thing the radiator got stabbed by a branch in a storm so it over heated a couple times. I finially changed the radiator. On a 1.5 hour drive i stopped for a second in construction and the trans stopped working i had no gears i turned it off and on a couple times and i ended up putting it in neutral to push and it started going... i drove for a couple miles like that before it sputtered to a hault at a stop sign and it needed to go back into drive and then it was fine.. it has recently been getting worse the car sputters when it starts sometimes. The oil light flashes randomly, the coolant looks fine, and the oil looks alright. Then today the CEL came on and i couldn’t go over 3k rmps so i drove slowly to autozone to get the code read it was an o2 sensor, i said that imma hold off, and i got back in the car and it started for a couple seconds then died like 4-5 times i did this i sat around for about an hour to wait for a ride and the car started but it still had the CEL and i drove it home. I parked it and tried starting it an hour later and the Oil light was flashing at me again. Im not sure if anything has to do with anything else maybe a bad case of electrical gremlins or what, maybe the ecu is bad and messing everything up? Im not sure but any help would be so very appreciated i love this little car! I dont want to have to sell it for nothing cause its got so many problems! I love to work on my own cars! If you want more information just reply and ill try my best to help! Thank you! Oh and i guess the interior light doesn’t always come on unless the car is actually running
Car-
2001 honda prelude base automatic
Mods-
radio, muffler rusted and fell off, and amplifier removed. Literally its stock..

·
Administrator
6,726 Posts
Sounds like the primary 02 sensor is bad, and the oil pressure switch may be soaked with oil from a leak such as the cooler o-ring or something else.

The primary sensor is a Denso, you can purchase one from the autoparts store and it will be the same as a factory one. You're likely going into limp mode as far as how the car is limited in power/ 3k limited. Disconnect the radio while troubleshooting - just in case that is also part of the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the primary 02 sensor is bad, and the oil pressure switch may be soaked with oil from a leak such as the cooler o-ring or something else.

The primary sensor is a Denso, you can purchase one from the autoparts store and it will be the same as a factory one. You're likely going into limp mode as far as how the car is limited in power/ 3k limited. Disconnect the radio while troubleshooting - just in case that is also part of the problem.
Thank you so much for this! I will try it out in the morning! Might even throw in the stock radio and see if that might do something
MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i changed the o2 sensor and did an oil change, I disconnected the battery for a few mins and i turned the car on and its really struggling to start and still wont stay running any other ideas could this be fuel or spark related?

·
Administrator
6,726 Posts
How does the inside of the distributor look? Worn cap and rotor?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, i had a unfortunate series of events the crank position sensor went bad, but was sending signals they were just wrong so it completely through off the timing it ended up burning all the oil and completely wrecked the 02 sensor, and today the car finally through the camshaft position code. Thank you so much for the help! Hopefully this helps someone in the future! I ordered the crank pulley tool and the part should be in tomorrow! Ill buzz the whole car apart to get to the damn thing but IT WILL BE SAVED!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the spring on the auto tensioner broke probably just snapped it is 20 years old now, and it was in the lower crank case and thats what ended up shredding the Crank position sensor wires and the belt was chewed up, i have no idea how to check or do timing so i just slapped a new belt on and ill figure it out, pray it doesn’t blow up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It wasn’t the actual timing belt it was the other little one that i have no idea what its for, honestly i need one of those mechanic books for this thing

·
Registered
6 Posts
It wasn’t the actual timing belt it was the other little one that i have no idea what its for, honestly i need one of those mechanic books for this thing
Honestly as going from legit Prelude NOOB to doing my own entire timing job in about a month of on and off ~2 hour sessions, it's not THAT BAD or difficult. Check the prelude reddit for a link to a PDF of the Helms manual and go put a new timing belt on it! Please while you're at it do a manual tensioner conversion. Be ready to break your thumbs off trying to slide the timing belt back onto the tensioner pulley (y)(y)(y)

·
Administrator
6,726 Posts
The balance belt broke. Easy fix really, set the motor to top dead center and there is a mark on the front gear for alignment. The rear gear has an access hole behind a bolt on the back side of the block next to the gear- insert a strong tool of choosing and slowly rotate the gear until you feel you've reached the alignment hole and insert the tool all the way in. Install belt, adjust tension, remove tool and reinstall bolt. On your way.

If you are due, better off having the timing done. And there is nothing wrong with a new honda auto tensioner - they were revised years ago and everyone simply goes off repetitive information without any experience. Never go aftermarket auto tensioner.

All in all, if you're mechanically inclined, doing the job for the first time takes no more than 5 hours.

Timing belt
Balance belt
Auto timing tensiomer
Water pump

In your case, i would also replace the balance tensioner and the idler pulley.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts