Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i have a 2001 5th gen with an H22A4 and it died in February. It wouldn't crank or start, i changed the starter, nothing happened. its an automatic so when i took off the stater i noticed that the torque converter had its welds broken and its gears grinned. Went ahead and changed the torque converter. Here's where the fun begins. The car was good for about a few days after that. The only problem is that when i would turn the key it would crank and stop and crank and stop until it turned on and sometimes a screech would sound. then i would use it to do errands and sometimes for short half an hour drives. The engine just doesn't crank or start when its warm. The engines primes and the main relay clicked. I swapped out the main relay. i did the trick where you re-solder the connections. nothing. Then, i checked my battery, it was good. I checked and sanded down all my grounds, nothing. I read somewhere that bad battery cables could be the issue but I'm not too sure, what do you guys think? I checked all my fuses and they're good. I have an aftermarket radio but the car worked fine for months before it died suddenly. I just replaced the external distributor coil and cleaned up the cap and rotor, would this issue be caused by the distributor? i have new spark plugs and the engine runs well when its on. The vtec solenoid gasket started leaking so i replaced that and there is a little ground that has 4 cables from the harness held together by a little washer with bits to connect the cables that had oil in between and i cleaned that up, nothing.

If you guys have any other ideas i would love to hear them, thanks.

·
99 SH
189 Posts
Has your Prelude had the ignition switch recall done? Otherwise i would pull the battery and get it tested, actually bring it to autozone or somewhere and have them bench test it. Then see if you can jump the solenoid on the starter manually to rule out any poor connections. The only other thing i can think of is that you have an auto and maybe the gear selector is not working correctly and keeping you from cranking. Basically thinking you are not in park or neutral.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hello everyone, i have a 2001 5th gen with an H22A4 and it died in February. It wouldn't crank or start, i changed the starter, nothing happened. its an automatic so when i took off the stater i noticed that the torque converter had its welds broken and its gears grinned. Went ahead and changed the torque converter. Here's where the fun begins. The car was good for about a few days after that. The only problem is that when i would turn the key it would crank and stop and crank and stop until it turned on and sometimes a screech would sound. then i would use it to do errands and sometimes for short half an hour drives. The engine just doesn't crank or start when its warm. The engines primes and the main relay clicked. I swapped out the main relay. i did the trick where you re-solder the connections. nothing. Then, i checked my battery, it was good. I checked and sanded down all my grounds, nothing. I read somewhere that bad battery cables could be the issue but I'm not too sure, what do you guys think? I checked all my fuses and they're good. I have an aftermarket radio but the car worked fine for months before it died suddenly. I just replaced the external distributor coil and cleaned up the cap and rotor, would this issue be caused by the distributor? i have new spark plugs and the engine runs well when its on. The vtec solenoid gasket started leaking so i replaced that and there is a little ground that has 4 cables from the harness held together by a little washer with bits to connect the cables that had oil in between and i cleaned that up, nothing.

If you guys have any other ideas i would love to hear them, thanks.
It sounds like your missing some teeth and when the gears line up with the flywheel in a section where you have good teeth she cranks over for start up. I'm basing this on your information given, kinda hard to diagnose something like that on without seeing it in person.

·
Super Moderator
6,487 Posts
I agree, sounds like a starter related problem. Check the wires/grounds and remove ththe starter/inspect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts