Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 2001 base model and ive been having a problem where my temp gauge rises all the way and falls at random times. Usually when i start to idle like at a stoplight it begins to rise but when i pick up speed it goes back down to normal which is a little bit lower than half way or halfway. Ive replaced many important parts in my cooling system: Radiator, Thermostat, Fan switch, coolant temp sensor and the pigtail for it, cooling fan relay, temp gauge sending unit sensor( controls the gauge, its right next to the coolant temp sensor). The last thing i can think of is the head gasket but im seeing no signs of that being blown. Also to note, my oil burns up quite fast, i dont see any leaks so i know its burning. does someone have the same issue or know how to solve this. I really dont want to have to replace the head gasket if i dont have to, Id rather just do a swap for a younger engine. Mine has a h22a4. My homie has one that he pulled out of a type sh with only around 140xxx on it so if its the head gasket id just do the swap, mine has around 211xxx.

Thank you for reading
-Nikkos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i have a 2001 base model and ive been having a problem where my temp gauge rises all the way and falls at random times. Usually when i start to idle like at a stoplight it begins to rise but when i pick up speed it goes back down to normal which is a little bit lower than half way or halfway. Ive replaced many important parts in my cooling system: Radiator, Thermostat, Fan switch, coolant temp sensor and the pigtail for it, cooling fan relay, temp gauge sending unit sensor( controls the gauge, its right next to the coolant temp sensor). The last thing i can think of is the head gasket but im seeing no signs of that being blown. Also to note, my oil burns up quite fast, i dont see any leaks so i know its burning. does someone have the same issue or know how to solve this. I really dont want to have to replace the head gasket if i dont have to, Id rather just do a swap for a younger engine. Mine has a h22a4. My homie has one that he pulled out of a type sh with only around 140xxx on it so if its the head gasket id just do the swap, mine has around 211xxx.

Thank you for reading
-Nikkos
Also replaced the water pump

·
Administrator
6,890 Posts
Does it drop if you turn the heat on full blast at your feet?

Could be anything from air in the lines, bad radiator cap, or faulty thermostat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problems with and I have a mishitmoto radiator with upgraded fans. and my fans do kick on, it just seems to get hot at idle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mine burns oil and it doesnt have that problem....goes 1/2 way and stops....if the fans are on at idle and it isnt helpnig maybe a restriction ?...i doubt it.....there are 2 fans ...one ir the regular fan and i THINK the ohter is tha AC fan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts