Honda Prelude Forum banner

2000 prelude auto tranny is shot..=(

972 views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  edge2lyfe 
#1 ·
ok my tranny is completely fucked, only 1st gear works now.. and sometimes when i put it in d2.. it goes up to 80mph sometimes.. its 4th gear but still says its in D2..

I called up a local import shop (Project R in long island)and they refuse to do a manual swap for my car cus they said it causes too much problems in shifting.and keeps telling me to rebuild my auto tranny with " level 10" materials .....I have also called 2 other transmission shops and they tell me they would look into it and call me back the next day. but no call back and its been 2 weeks.

my friend used his obd2 decoder thing and my CEL is throwing 2 codes :

Transmission Control Systems Malfunction
and
TCC Malfunction

if i leave it my car sitting for a few days..it would randomly work like normal for like 15 minutes.. but then it would just crap out on me again and i would cruise back to home in 1st gear, or if im lucky it grips on 3rd or 4th and it cruises all the way home.. like nothing is wrong..

i think theres an electrical problem along with a mechanical problem? cus it clunks when it switches into reverse or drive..

can anyone help me find a legitimate shop that can do a 5 speed swap? or something my car been semi-dead for almost 3 weeks now. im located in eastern Long island , NY .

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Sounds like a bunch of crap and that shop just didn't want to spend the time to do the swap for you. Just find another shop that will do the 5spd swap for you

#5 ·
Thats all they said, the shop refuses to do manual swaps cus it causes too much problems later on. I've tried callin other shops they tell me that theyll call back but they dont. I cant find any place that will do it. i dont have any of the 5 speed parts so.. hopefully if i find a shop they have better chances of finding one to swap it in? i dunno ...my life is so down hill right now

#6 ·
CotULukn said:
Thats all they said, the shop refuses to do manual swaps cus it causes too much problems later on. I've tried callin other shops they tell me that theyll call back but they dont. I cant find any place that will do it. i dont have any of the 5 speed parts so.. hopefully if i find a shop they have better chances of finding one to swap it in? i dunno ...my life is so down hill right now
Just search around the internet like partstrader.com or something. Some of the things you'll probably have to buy brand new, but other stuff you can find at local salvage yard or on the internet

#8 ·
How many miles on the car? Honda put out an extended warranty for the auto trannies. I think it is 10 year 100k miles. You could have them replace it then if you still wanted the swap do it and sell the new auto.

#10 ·
CotULukn said:
no, it wont' cause too many problems later. what will cause you problems later is if you just fix the auto. find a shop that will do the swap. and don't call them, actually go to the shop.

go with mrgre3ntea's advice.

#11 ·
64k miles but my car is modded.. i talked to a honda dealership out here..the service ppl said any modification will void the warranty and when i bought the car used.. wasnt there supposed to be a transferable warranty paper or something but anyhow thats irrelevantaem pullies, header, aem cai, greddy evo exhaust, front strut bar, w/e they'll use that against me too.. so im assed out on that idea

using my dads 4 runner is killing me with gas money.. gas is almost 3.50 a gallon out here 16mpg isnt helping much either RPM NYC, hm ill google their site if they got one.. thanks for all ur help every1..

#12 ·
CotULukn said:
64k miles but my car is modded.. i talked to a honda dealership out here..the service ppl said any modification will void the warranty and when i bought the car used.. wasnt there supposed to be a transferable warranty paper or something but anyhow thats irrelevantaem pullies, header, aem cai, greddy evo exhaust, front strut bar, w/e they'll use that against me too.. so im assed out on that idea

using my dads 4 runner is killing me with gas money.. gas is almost 3.50 a gallon out here 16mpg isnt helping much either RPM NYC, hm ill google their site if they got one.. thanks for all ur help every1..
i don't believe they have a websit, they're located in hillside queens. All their work are mostly based on hondas. they do good work. go there and look for george or supi.

#13 ·
aren't they the shop that did the k swap into the 5th gen? if so a manual swap will be cake for them.

#14 ·
ya they got a website rpmnyc.com, i called them up just before but they said theyre on a skeleton crew cus they got a booth at the javitz center car show and .. told me to call em back on monday, but if u say they have a good reputation then ill give it a shot.. hope the price is reasonable..

#15 ·
Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that states that your factory warranty cannot become void if you use aftermarket parts that are the same qualilty as the oem parts, unless they can prove that the aftermarket parts that you installed led to the failure. So if Honda tells you that since you modified your ride they cannot warranty the car this law begs to differ. Just do some research on this law. I would still swap to a manual though.

#16 ·
call other honda dealerships, not just one. warranty work=bingo for a dealership. they don't have to pay for the parts and they straight up make a killing on warranty work from honda.

throw out the fact that the dealership can't prove anything on your car would cause ur tranny to mess up. if they give u hell, call over head Honda customer service. if you try enough and be enough of a hardass, you'll get that tranny replaced witho nly 64k on it. the only thing i might take off would be the pulleys, but still..

#17 ·
CotULukn said:

Thats BS. You need to be willing to argue with them and fight for the new trans. Dalerships take a lot of argueing with to get warranty stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.