Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
88-91 Prelude B20vtec swap

So it took about 9 years to get this thing off the ground. So many setbacks and issues but finally have a complete product to show the community.

1FunRyd Performance - 88-91 Prelude B20vtec swap is complete.

Original thread of where this swap started: 88-91 Prelude B20b/z swap

The lude is running and drivable, but the ecu needs to be chipped and tuned to pull out more power to get the vtec engaging as well.
Essentially the car is a high compression B20b right now since vtec is not setup but as you can see in the video below that it does perform well.

This build is a complete build. I have AC, Powersteering and Cruise control on this swap just like my last H22 swap. I felt that any swap in this car deserved to be a truly complete swap with all the creature comforts that come with our chassis stock.

I will continue to update the thread as we get full completion and then of course test drive it more and get on the road more often.

So without further delay here are the videos in sequence:

1. Video - Part 3

2. Video Part 2

3. Video Part 1.

4. Dyno video of a GSR head and stock B20b block making 185whp on a civic.
Link:

For any questions feel free to reach out to me via pm, email or www.Facebook.com/1funryd

Sean
Email: [email protected]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

The B20vtec project had a little snafu, the headgasket from the conversion started leaking oil.
After some testing it was determined the HG needed to be replaced.

Due to other projects and finances we decided to store the project for later date until I got a new HG and we had more time to address it.

Months later I got a new HG and then just over the past weekend the HG was replaced and the motor ran and seem to not leak.
I just renewed the tabs so it can be street legal again and then we shall get it on the road for more testing, but other than that the swap works flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
superbe avec la boîte de vitesses B20A ou B20b?
This is the B20b with a GSR head installed with my B16/18/20 swap mounts.

I edited the first post to include the previous videos leading up to video 3.
Enjoy!!!

All in all this swap cost me:
B20b with transmission and all accessories = $2800
B20vtec conversion = $1600

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't understand very sorry, the B20B is therefore with the B20B gearbox? and so with the gimbals to go to the 3g prelude hubs? thank you

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't understand very sorry, the B20B is therefore with the B20B gearbox? and so with the gimbals to go to the 3g prelude hubs? thank you
If you go with my B20b swap kit, I provide you with a PDF document on installatino and all necessary parts after you purchase.

I do not provide much information due to my competitor will steal information like before.

But to answer your question, you need a B20b CRV motor and the B series S80 transmission and need to modify the shifter linkage to work.
All the rest of the swap parts and installation procedures are all documented.

·
Registered
134 Posts
hi , no problem i understand.
i ask this because in france OEM gear box are not very solid.
Great Funryd ;)
Like your job !

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little updates...B20vtec Lude.
*Replaced factory rims with some 17x7.5 wheels and new tires - 205/40/17
*Dropped off the new muffler to be welded on.
*Ran the motor and tested the AC to check if it leaked and it held its charge...so that system is solid.
*Installed new intake and battery relocation with jump posts on the firewall.

Next items to address will be the Ksport front shock replacements and rears as well. I picked up a local set from an Offerup sale for a real steal!!!
Also will be getting a new valve cover due to the one that's on there has a crack near the distributor.

Here is a video of it running...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Little updates...B20vtec Lude.
*Replaced factory rims with some 17x7.5 wheels and new tires - 205/40/17
*Dropped off the new muffler to be welded on.
*Ran the motor and tested the AC to check if it leaked and it held its charge...so that system is solid.
*Installed new intake and battery relocation with jump posts on the firewall.

Next items to address will be the Ksport front shock replacements and rears as well. I picked up a local set from an Offerup sale for a real steal!!!
Also will be getting a new valve cover due to the one that's on there has a crack near the distributor.

Here is a video of it running...

View attachment 27862

View attachment 27863

View attachment 27864

View attachment 27865

View attachment 27866

View attachment 27867

View attachment 27868

View attachment 27869

View attachment 27870

View attachment 27871
Not so shabby !

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update: 9-14-20

So Dave(MustardCat) buffed the old faded paint out and it looks beautiful!!! Just had to share.....

And added a little more red to the engine bay. I had to purchase a new valve cover due to the grey one had a crack in it that would require repair work that would not look so good.
But hey thanks to all the B series aftermarket world on ebay amazon and other online platforms I have a ton too choose from now!!!!

:giggle:

Final body mods will be to add the lip kit on the lude, then get it tinted, install alarm, wire up an amp to the rear and this time I am going with a custom sub box that will be blended into the rear trunk to give me more space.

Also will be upgrading my speakers front, rear and front tweaters. Then I will be really moving onto interior mods like lighting, reupholster the front seats and rear to a more modern Si red stiched look.

For now the engine is done. I may turbo it, and slowly aquire parts for an AWD setup.

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was supposed to install my lip kit but did not have the bolts and fastners for them, so now I have to wait to get them.

Some pics of the day...

Hopefully I should have this setup by next weekend.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts