Honda Prelude Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Get the transmission, driveshaft, rear diff, and rear axles. The stock parts should be fine for n/a builds but if you are adding lots of power they aren't made for that. Good news is Honda AWD swaps are kind of taking off and various companies are starting to offer upgrades for this stuff.

Some examples:
https://dragcartel.com/products/b-series-billet-awd-replacement-transfer-cover?fbclid=IwAR046p4rIzGM1RHhDT_bxHrY8p_Hw6h7DJBdWp7pr9UpZQoIAOliK8Oa_RY

https://automotiveknd.com/shop/drivetrain/dual-pump-quick-spool-system-dpqs/

FYI there is also a billet H22 AWD bellhousing in development that will accept the B-series transfer case. This may ultimately be the best solution for AWD Preludes because using B-series transmissions requires the engine to lean forward, even with an H2B setup. The overall fit in the engine bay just isn't as good like that, having it lean back a bit like with H-series / stock engine is much better.

Here is an example of the prototype diff mount that was made for the S2k rear diff, however this idea has been scrapped:

The current idea is to only support the CR-V/Element rear diff and develop one mount that will fit on 2WS and 4WS cars. It should look very similar to this.

Currently this project is waiting on one vehicle to leave my property then I will be able to bring up the development car and make further progress on it.
Good to know. Someone ended up buying the whole car that I found but im on the lookout for another one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
So what are you guys hooking up to for the rear subframe? Are you cutting stuff out and welding in new tabs or using existing mounting points?

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
So what are you guys hooking up to for the rear subframe? Are you cutting stuff out and welding in new tabs or using existing mounting points?
We are using the new subframe we came up with for a bolt in solution.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Could be a game changer...

Ok, so this happened just recently.
Thanks to Brian Spiker(TransLab Performance) and Aaron Lopez(driver) but they have been working on the AWD H22 billet bell housing that will allow any H22 owner to transfer their OE guts over and become AWD with the K24 tranfercase.

This changes everything because it eliminates the need for he H2b adapter kit to go AWD.
There is no confirmation on my kit for fitment issues yet but in time that will get worked out.

Check this thing out!!!

Needless to say, the whole game is change now...lol!!!

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SpikesTransLab

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Ok, so this project took a hit, due to finances and lack of time.
We should be moving the car to the shop that we will be tearing into the car to start mocking up parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow someone finally made awd for H22 that's awesome. Wish that was around when I did my 3g H swap.

Hey 1funryd this is Dustin aka 91JDMsi from like ten yr ago when I bought the az H22 mounts my lude is up for sale if you know anyone interested 5k call me at 865-599-9346 thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Any updates?
Nothing new. I have finished the rear wheel hub setup. So for those wanting to go AWD with 5 lug conversion I have sold 2 kits. But the rear subframe prototype is done. It was built for the S2K rear diff, but we convinced the customer to go with the CRV rear diff. We had to put everyine on hold again. So we are looking to pick back up in summer.

So far there is no real demand for this kit so its just going at a slow pace.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
682 Posts
Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. It looks fantastic, guys. That bell housing is top-notch!

Reactions: Blainethemono

·
Registered
711 Posts
Nothing new. I have finished the rear wheel hub setup. So for those wanting to go AWD with 5 lug conversion I have sold 2 kits. But the rear subframe prototype is done. It was built for the S2K rear diff, but we convinced the customer to go with the CRV rear diff. We had to put everyine on hold again. So we are looking to pick back up in summer.

So far there is no real demand for this kit so its just going at a slow pace.
I can't believe you're still here and this place is still going. Just checked back after .... nearly 10 years? Count me in if you create a k-swap kit group buy. Neat work on the AWD swap - though the prelude is really just begging to be the mid-engine, baby-NSX it was always meant to be - that's not a bolt in swap though.

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I can't believe you're still here and this place is still going. Just checked back after .... nearly 10 years? Count me in if you create a k-swap kit group buy. Neat work on the AWD swap - though the prelude is really just begging to be the mid-engine, baby-NSX it was always meant to be - that's not a bolt in swap though.
Yeah at this point its all just custom made stuff, doing mass aftermarket is not a feasibility.
Even I want to go mid engine drive, but my lude just go broken into last Saturday and I am dealing 2 broken door handles, and broken passenger glass and cannot get into the doors without a body shop to do it.

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
682 Posts
Awwww....that's too bad, Sean. I'm sorry to hear that. I always cringe when I hear someone's car got broken into. It's such an impersonal crime....all you know is that when you came back to the car, it was in the shape it's in now, and something may or may not be missing that was there before (some people just like to vandalize other people's cars. Robbery of the affected vehicle is too much like work). Fucked up both of your locks too? I'm sure you have a thumping stereo system in there...or had maybe...but what strikes me as funny is that the stereo isn't even the valuable part of your car. Still sucks, though. Hope you can get it fixed up soon.
On a good note, a larger percentage of people don't know the first thing about how to drive a manual transmission than those that do, and that includes most car thieves.....so the fact it's a manual automatically makes it less likely to be stolen, at least. Seen a couple douchebags on the news a few months ago in Des Moines.... A woman driving an Acura TSX pulled into a metro gas station, got out and went inside. Left the car running and unlocked. Pair of car thieves were waiting for something nice like that to show up, so they waited until she was out of sight, then got in her vehicle and tried to take off in it.....but didn't know how to drive stick and couldn't figure out how to even make it out of the parking lot, so left the car where they had managed to move it to, got out and ran. The gas station's CCTV caught them on camera, and the cops were able to identify them and find them later on that evening. The idiots even came back to the scene of the crime to try again on another vehicle, and that's where they got busted. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the rear splined hubs and bearing source is a commercial information and part of the future swap kit or it is open source ?

I would really love to see this car rear wheel drived AND front engined :)

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So the rear splined hubs and bearing source is a commercial information and part of the future swap kit or it is open source ?

I would really love to see this car rear wheel drived AND front engined :)
My propitiatory information.
I sell the 5 lug hub swap for all four corners so you can be prepared for AWD or just stick to a 5 lug swap.
The only thing I do not provide is the rear caliper bracketing or hub spindle to hold the hub in.

If I have to do it the kit will be way more expensive and its already expensive enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My propitiatory information.
I sell the 5 lug hub swap for all four corners so you can be prepared for AWD or just stick to a 5 lug swap.
The only thing I do not provide is the rear caliper bracketing or hub spindle to hold the hub in.

If I have to do it the kit will be way more expensive and its already expensive enough.
Seems fair, it is a lot of R&D and fabrication !
Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Seems fair, it is a lot of R&D and fabrication !
Cheers
There is another option for AWD hubs. But its 4 lug 4x100 bolt pattern. So hub wise its cheaper but it uses the stock rear axles vs going beefier aftermarket axles.

My setup is for those who want to throw more power at their AWD setup.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts