Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Son's 1999 base Prelude has picked up a scrapping noise when turning right. We rebuilt the whole front suspension about 6 weeks ago and this just happened. It only happens while turning right. The noise is in the drivers wheel area. I took it to a parking lot and did some hard circles and could not make it do it. Driving home it did it. It seems to only do it on slow moderate right turns. We jacked it up and pulled the wheels and can find no evidence of anything rubbing. I am going to dig into it further over Thanksgiving. Anything I should look for? Wheel seems tight so I don't thing it is the wheel bearing. The sound is similar to an old truck I had with a bad motor mount. Sometimes the engine would move and the fan would barely contact the fan shroud and a bad noise. My motor mounts are good so I don't think that is it either. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ed

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
What angulation.does it.scrape at? Full turn? Half turn? Does the.sound change.with ither speed or steering angle increase?

Likely.odds are the.inner fender liner is the.culprit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What angulation.does it.scrape at? Full turn? Half turn? Does the.sound change.with ither speed or steering angle increase?

Likely.odds are the.inner fender liner is the.culprit.
I was hoping for something like that but that is not it. It only does it for for about a half second and not every time so it is hard to get some clues on what may be going. That is why we went to a parking lot and did circles but it would not make the noise. It seems to be moderate r/h turns and the noise is in the drivers front side. We are going to check it out some more today, hope we find something.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was hoping for something like that but that is not it. It only does it for for about a half second and not every time so it is hard to get some clues on what may be going. That is why we went to a parking lot and did circles but it would not make the noise. It seems to be moderate r/h turns and the noise is in the drivers front side. We are going to check it out some more today, hope we find something.
Took the wheel and brake off and didn't find anything wrong. Pried on rotor and no play in it at all so I really don't think it is the bearing. The bearing feels nice and tight. Put back together and drove it quite a bit and only heard a slight rub sound for a split second. Driving me nuts.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Have you removed the brake pads and checked if they are moving too freely?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you removed the brake pads and checked if they are moving too freely?
I did take the pads out and look at them. They are worn just a little over half way but not rubbing on anything. Don't quite understand "moving too freely" They are not flopping around in the caliper.

·
Administrator
6,802 Posts
Any way to get a video? Mount a gopro or something in hopes to catch that short period it makes the noise?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Was something stuck in your brake cooling sheild?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts