Honda Prelude Forum banner

1998 US BB6 JDM H22A SiR 5 Speed

5th Gen_ 
2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Tintin10 
#1 ·
Copied from my New User/Intro:

Hey everybody my names Stephin/Seven and im from Los Angeles, CA . I own a 1998 US BB6 BASE (5th gen so everyone knows haha) that I purchased roughly 3 years ago after wanting to get my hands on one for about 8 years (im 26 btw). Ive loved Preludes since the first time I saw one in highschool. To make a long story short in under 2 months after purchasing her I spun a bearing and snapped a rod (dont drop gears doing 120 trying to rev when motors got 151XXX *facepalm*). I decided that I was going to keep her until I could get the JDM swap because she was just too clean (I had 2 mechanics try an buy her off me with the dead engine haha). 3 years and 2 cars later (mind you im a college kid doing all this on a budget) I FINALLY dropped in the JDM H22A SiR (I run 5 speed) w +/- 25k. I know its not a red top but at least I got a REAL Prelude engine (Sorry H23 guys just how I feel lol) and I get to say its a JDM. I personally feel like theres a little more "umph" to the ride now as well. Ive been reading PP, HT, and PO for YEARS and have learned so much information that has really really helped me. Just in the last few days after getting the swap I received the dreaded p0505 // 14 code. After going through the process I changed the intake screw SLIGHTLY, cleaned out the IACV an BAM no more code!!! Next day driving idle bounces and codes back... well thanks to you guys I then knew to and did open up and take care of the FITV. Now everythings running PERFECT and it wouldnt have been possible without this longstanding community full of some of the best enthusiast coming together. So thats a bit on my story and im excited to be a part of the community!!

Forgot to mention in my intro post I changed out a few vacuum hoses while I was doing all this just because they looked and felt a bit worn out (almost 20 year old rubber these days haha). I am currently running royal purple full synthetic since its basically a new engine (brand new water pump, oil pump, belts, and now almost every hose and gasket) and only run 91 Shell (Chevron now an then but rarely). Currently have a Injen short ram intake w a Spectre filter and thats it as far as mods. Also have the Sony Explode bluetooth head unit (feels pretty cool tbh lol).

TL;DR : 1998 US BB6 w Fresh H22A SiR Swap / 26 yo Los Angeles,CA / PP Fan / Newbie / IACV & FITV cleaning done yesterday / Injen Intake / Spectre Filter / Bluetooth head unit

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks and Thanks!! Its just the begging! :grin:

I purchased the engine from a place called "M's JDM Motors" http://msjdmmotors.com/ . I tried HMO over and over and over for a few months until i decided waiting to just say it was from HMO just wasntt worth it anymore. Ive had two friends pick up red tops from Steve with no problem so I have no idea why it was such a hassel for me. Anyways the Owner from M's has 2 show cars there that are all done up and is really into the JDM scene. The second I saw a CRX that clean I knew I was in good hands haha.

#4 ·
Just a side shot of her in Topanga Canyon, CA.

Going to go hit the headlights with a restore kit and rims to see what I can clean up. Does anyone have a good rim cleaner in mind? The Blades I have seem to have a deep grime that I want to try and get out. Also going to take a few more pics of the car overall so that I have em here (plus grab some old ones from my dropbox).

Attachments

#9 ·
So had a bit of a scare this am. Thought something was wrong the last two days because I couldnt get the bleeder valve for the coolant to let coolant out and saw some steam while driving last night. Get to the mechanic an have him hit the bleeder.. no problem lol. Ends up taking a look and realizes thatt theres a pinhole in the radiator cap right at the top lol the plastic was rolling back when the system was off so you couldnt see it *facepalm*

Anywho ended up with this new quick release rad cap to let pressure out faster so i can work on the car if need be/I want. Thought it was pretty cool. Went to change the brakes and rotors today as well. Front ones went well without a hitch... the read ones not so much. I got the tool to "screw" the caliper back in so you can replace the pads but when I got to the rotors the screws were stripped or just about to be so I couldnt remove them. Going to do a through look on the net to see what people recommend before taking it to the shop and seeing if they can pop em off.(have to go anyways because they did the balance shaft belt too tight and its squeeks on startup).

Attachments

#10 ·
Went ahead and decided to take a shot at the rotors today. After searching online I came to the conclusion that using a punch would be the best route for my situation. This is what it looked like. You would think that screw would just pop out but no. haha no. Automotive wheel system Rim Automotive tire Plumbing fixture Auto part

This primitive looking are became my work are for the next 20-30 mins
Tire Automotive tire Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system

Here is an up close angle of what you have to do with the tools. Ill tell you after doing 2 screws on 2 rotors: take your time. Take little strikes with the hammer and make a nice little are first thats flat then tap it at a 45 angle as if you were tryng to turn the screw the same was as the screwdriver would.
Product Metal Vehicle brake Steel Brake

Finally got those dang things out. Was really exited once the first one MOVED let alone getting them all out haha. I knew there had to be a way people did all this before crazy tools were invented LMFAO.
Jewellery Earrings Fashion accessory Diamond Gemstone

#11 ·
So once I pulled off the rotors I saw that they were from Honda. Wonder how long they were on the car. Auto part Wheel Disc brake Rim Vehicle brake

Machine Machine tool Auto part

After trying and trying to figure out why the rotor wont just go on I flip it around and realize the hub is flush with it... my parts guys messed up. Had to go exchange them for the correct ones. Didnt take any pics because I just wanted to finish. New front and back rotors now complete.

#12 ·
An impact screwdriver makes removing those screws much easier. Hold it up, and a quick smack with a hammer has them coming out no problem.

Congrats on the purchase

Will you have any issues with smog due to a non US spec motor? Or will they ignore the stamp in your area?

#13 ·
Thanks! Really excited to finally be working on her.

I always thought that an impact was a tip for a drill head that was extremely expensive... googled real quick.... maybe i should have tried that first lolol.

I live in Los Angeles so its a big deal lol. Bought the US oil pump and water pump since the engine was going to be out anyway and made it a legit OBD2 swap. Basically have a new car at this point minus the small stuff. Moved the pulleys over with the teeth etc. Now its just small stuff that ive been doing thus far. Planning on building out the old engine for a turbo im thinking since I have it. Also going to look into what an OBD2>1 Jump would require and if I can have a switch like people with modded ECUs. Time will tell.

#14 ·
Been on and off trying to fix my indicators not working from the steering column but the hazards working for almost 2 weeks. Checked fuses (hood/interior), checked flasher, checked relay (didnt buy lol), and then once I checked the 20 pin for loose wires i saw nothing wrong. Put it all back in and it started working. Then 10 mins later it stops again. Figured its something to do wth the 20 pin. Followed the wires back cutting the black casing (not sure if it was the same wire since the "diode" that I saw wasnt quite like the type i was accustomed to seeing) and as i was pulling the casing back BAM! WIRE CUT IN HALF...clean... like sliced?

I had a mechanic drop the JDM H22A in since I work. He told me he was pretty good with electrical so I asked him if hed mind re wrapping my wire harness etc. There was a little cut in the outside wrapping to bunch the wires as well (markers so he could find it easy and charge me later?). All in all made me really suspicious.

Anywho heres a few pics plus me and my friend hitting the canyon this weekend.

Attachments

#15 ·
Had alot going on the last few weeks. Recap:

Replaced the Harmonic Balancer (crank pulley)
-FITV Bypass
-NGK Double Plat Plugs
-Replaced all vacuum hoses
-Replaced MOST coolant lines
-Had the spark plug cover come off an MELT onto the headers (somewhat)... I forgot to screw the bolts all the way in... things are $20 from Honda for 4 BOLTS smh.... had to grab the old one off the old engine.
-Replaced Headlight bulbs

Just figured id leave an update. Pics later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.