Honda Prelude Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Small update:

The car is running well, no issues.

I have done 2500km since the new clutch was installed. My review of the OEM Exedy clutch. Quite a soft pedal which is nice, however i would prefer a more direct harder feel to the engagement. Having said this the clutch does grip well between gears. Pulling away is just a bit iffy.

I had it on the dyno recently for a power run and it made 127kw on the flywheel. According to Honda the factory power should be 147kw. Similarly there was a stock Subaru BRZ which made the exact same power (127kw) and it is also supposed to make 147kw from the factory. This reassured me that the lude is not down on power. When you drive the lude it does not feel sluggish or down on power either. I suppose the dyno is in fact just a tuning tool and they all differ from one another.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Managed to get around to changing the clutch slave cylinder. It was the original one from the factory and it had an intermittent leak. It was a bit of a fiddle but got it done.

I used the Exedy replacement part which looked well manufactured and very similar to the OEM part which i took off. I bled out the entire clutch system with fresh DOT 4 fluid. Clutch pressure feels better now and also more direct.

Some pics

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
next i would like to neaten up the brake calipers and return them to their "gold" colour. Has anyone done this and can recommend the right colour? I have done some research and it seems that guys have had success with Hammerite and they make a similar colour.

pics below:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Got some paints to freshen up the disks and pads. Managed to complete the rear brakes today.

Black for the disks, gave them one coat as recommended on the tin.

Hammerite for the calipers, chose Bronze as it's closest to the OEM colour. Did some research and it seems guys have used hammerite successfully.

Before

good wire brushing

all washed and degreased

Painted Nissin caliper

All done, disks and calipers

cool shot of the lude on the jack

Wheels back on.

Hope to try and do the fronts tomorrow. Will let the paint cure properly before taking it for a drive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hello Guys

I haven't posted in a while. I have done a few items to the Prelude and enjoying it quite a bit.

I decided to replace the stock suspension with some BC street coilovers. The fitment was easy and torqued all the bolts to factory spec as per the manual. The handling is great and provides for a more sporty feel.

1 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

2 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

5 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

6 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

7 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude-1-3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude-2 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Changed out the clutch master cylinder with a new Exedy part. Seems to work fine!

3.3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

old master

old and new, very similar. I set the free play on the shaft to the same as the oem, this way it would need little adjustment once fitted.

3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

cleaned out the reservoir for fresh fluid and bled the system

4 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

fitted some 15mm Ichiba hub-centric wheel spacers to the rear only.

Honda Prelude-1-2 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

A friend of mine made a "short ram cold intake" it is a 63mm neck to match the TB and then it flares into 76mm with a 76mm K&N cylinder filter.

Honda Prelude-1-3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

After driving the car for a while my thoughts are that I almost prefer the stock intake with K&N flat pad. I am not convinced it makes a better sound even though it is much louder. i can notice better throttle response in the higher RPMS but lower down it is definitely not better. On cold days the filter and pipe remain pretty cold to the touch so it means its getting fresh air in its current position.

I think i may need a decent exhaust and Dastek Uni Q chip to compliment the intake.

Current picture of the car, unfortunately this was before i fitted the spacers and lowered the back slightly more.

Honda Prelude-2 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

I noticed the motor started to clunk around a bit and after some inspection I came to the conclusion that it must be the rear engine mount. I ordered the mount from Honda, which had to come from Japan.

New mount:

I managed to take out the old one without taking off the intake manifold. With some patience it wasn't actually that bad of a job.

Old mount for comparison:

8 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

After looking at the old mount i wasn't convinced that this was going to solve my problem as it hardly looked worn. After a test drive the new mount proved to solve the problem and also made the car more responsive and direct. I think it will be a good idea to replace the front tilt mount too, then there will be a new "working pair".

That is all for now.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
A few quick updates. The catalytic converter went bad so while the car was on the lift at the exhaust shop i opted to change the stock exhaust out for a 63mm system while retaining my rear silencer and replacing the factory center silencer with a free flow variant. The cat was also left out as we do not require one by law in our country. After i left the shop a was severely disappointed in the sound mainly because it had an annoying drone from 1500 - 4000RPM

i did some research and decided to try out the Helmholtz resonator route. I managed to get help from a fellow Prelude owner who happened to be an engineer and he had designed the same resonator to cancel the drone out on his Prelude. What a legend!

The results are awesome and i can enjoy quiet driving at low RPMS but still enjoy a loud note high up in the rev range.

some pics from this weekend in the garage:

Honda Prelude -18 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -17 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -16 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -15 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -14 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -12 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -9 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -5 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -7 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Honda Prelude -1 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #88 (Edited)
Happy New year’s update:

A good friend of mine was kind enough to give me a Dastek Uni Chip Q+ which he hauled out of his Subaru STI when he reverted back to the stock management. It was always my plan to have the car properly tuned after fitting the intake and exhaust as per the above posts.

Here is what the chip looks like. It is a wire in version, as in the tuner intercepts the OEM ECU harness in order to make adjustments to fuelling and timing. The tuner also fitted a VTEC controller which gives you the ability to move the vtec engagement.

Chip by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

The graph below compares the stock intake and exhaust (cat in place) against the aftermarket 63mm exhaust (cat delete) and 76mm into 63mm intake tuned with the uniQ.

As you can see they moved the vtec engagement down to +- 3500 RPM at more than 3/4 throttle position. This has made for much more mid-range all the way through the power band. The tune also made for more peak power.

I believe the prelude should have been tuned like this from the factory as makes for a much more fun and drivable car.

Graph by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Breakfast Run Dec 2018-1 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

While I was on holiday I met up with a few friends and went for a casual breakfast run which was mighty enjoyable with the new tune. The Lude even kept up with much faster lighter cars on the run.

here are some pics from the morning:

Breakfast Run Dec 2018-4 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Breakfast Run Dec 2018-2 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Breakfast Run Dec 2018-6 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

·
Registered
364 Posts
Nice work!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Brake Upgrade

I spent the past 2 weeks upgrading the brakes. Took my time and gave everything a proper clean and regreased all the moving brakes parts properly.
i went with EBC Disks all round, StopTech Sport front pads to the front and EBC Yellows to the rear. While i was at it i also replaced the brake lines with EBC braided hoses.
I am busy bedding the disks and pads in with light braking and will be able to test them in the next 200km or so.
So far the initial bite and peddal feel is already better, will be interesting to see how they work during hard braking.
I flushed the system with new Ravenol DOT4.
Here are so pictures for the record.

1 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

3 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

4 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

8 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

9 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

10 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

11 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

12 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

13 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

14 by Etienne de Villiers Photography, on Flickr

·
Registered
49 Posts
Great car, great thread. Nice to see someone else taking care of their car and keeping it for a long time.

Thanks for your comments on my build thread the other day. I have the same resonator on my Fiesta ST and I love it. Not wanting to put too much money into the Prelude, at least not on luxuries like this...but I am very happy with the Yonaka axelback only on my car. Thank you for your help though.

Some good news! i got the balancer belt slacked off and the noise is GONE! The motor is as quiet as it was before.

Unfortunately i had to put the old water pump back in as the mounting point on the new pump broke off, however the old pump felt good, so im sure it has some km's left in it. The pump has only done 150 000km's.
Could you explain this further? I have a whine noise on mine as well, thought it was the head unit and/or alternator but I replaced the alternator and unplugged the head unit and I still have the rpm whine. I've wondered if it was timing belt related. Please elaborate on exactly what you did to eliminate the whine noise, it's subtle but it's driving me crazy. Want to hear my car as it should be.

Happy New year’s update:

A good friend of mine was kind enough to give me a Dastek Uni Chip Q+ which he hauled out of his Subaru STI when he reverted back to the stock management. It was always my plan to have the car properly tuned after fitting the intake and exhaust as per the above posts.

Here is what the chip looks like. It is a wire in version, as in the tuner intercepts the OEM ECU harness in order to make adjustments to fuelling and timing. The tuner also fitted a VTEC controller which gives you the ability to move the vtec engagement.

Could you direct me to the place you purchased this from? I've considered tuning the car. This is a custom tuning option correct? I've used Hondata in the past on my Acura and it was a 'plug and play' mod that lowered VTEC and gave the car a much better tune. Is this the same or does it require custom tuning. I'm interested but again as above this isn't my main car and I'm not wanting to sink too much money into it.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Great car, great thread. Nice to see someone else taking care of their car and keeping it for a long time.

Thanks for your comments on my build thread the other day. I have the same resonator on my Fiesta ST and I love it. Not wanting to put too much money into the Prelude, at least not on luxuries like this...but I am very happy with the Yonaka axelback only on my car. Thank you for your help though.

Could you explain this further? I have a whine noise on mine as well, thought it was the head unit and/or alternator but I replaced the alternator and unplugged the head unit and I still have the rpm whine. I've wondered if it was timing belt related. Please elaborate on exactly what you did to eliminate the whine noise, it's subtle but it's driving me crazy. Want to hear my car as it should be.

Could you direct me to the place you purchased this from? I've considered tuning the car. This is a custom tuning option correct? I've used Hondata in the past on my Acura and it was a 'plug and play' mod that lowered VTEC and gave the car a much better tune. Is this the same or does it require custom tuning. I'm interested but again as above this isn't my main car and I'm not wanting to sink too much money into it.

Thanks in advance...
Cool, check you PM

81 - 94 of 94 Posts