Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was trying to figure out where did that 5 extra horsepower came from when there was an exaust system upgrade on the newer model. I had ran some part numbers between these 2 cars and the only thing different was the exaust manifold.

1997 Prelude SH part number is: 18000-P13-A00 MANIFOLD, EX.

2001 Prelude SH part number is: 18000-P5M-G00 MANIFOLD, EX.

If so, does anyone here know what is the difference made between these two exaust manifold? Lots of people would just rather go with aftermarket headers, exaust and etc.. but for me, I hate running into the law (work close to a police station and live close to another police station) and then dealing with doing the smog check the legal way.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Banned
4,812 Posts
ive heard that there really isnt a 5hp difference, that it was more for marketing to try to increase the sales of the 5gen prelude since they werent selling many at the time. idk if its true or not....but ive heard that a couple times

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ive heard that there really isnt a 5hp difference, that it was more for marketing to try to increase the sales of the 5gen prelude since they werent selling many at the time. idk if its true or not....but ive heard that a couple times
-----------

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100% agreed :headbang:
agreed too...

Honda should just bring the Prelude back and slap the turbo motor from the Acura RDX.. with a little more hp of course. I had my 97 Prelude SH for 11 years now and haven't wanted to trade for any other car yet. My twin brother have a Lotus Elise, and I still like my Prelude better.. heh heh..

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I too have heard that the alleged 5hp gain is a marketing scheme. I mean dyno it two different times, once with the windows up and the other with the windows up. Which ever gives you a greater whp (even by .5 hp) is an instant upgrade! (Sarcasm by the way :p )

I'd go for the 1997... As long as it has less than 150,000 miles and not salvage its still covered under the emissions warranty extension :D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
meh, either way id for for 99-01 cuz it has a few little things here and there previous ones didn't. Plus maybe, just maybe there really is a 5hp gain....kinda....sorta....maybe....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
meh, either way id for for 99-01 cuz it has a few little things here and there previous ones didn't. Plus maybe, just maybe there really is a 5hp gain....kinda....sorta....maybe....
Wasn't it the cabin filter that was different?

-Paul

·
Registered
417 Posts
I agree the whole 195hp vs the 200hp was pure marketing, but what I would like to is how the USDM H22A4 is rated the same as the JDM H22A.

USDM motors came with the 10.1:1 compression ratio, whereas the JDM motors came with another half point at 10.6:1 compression ratio.

Yet both motors are rated at 200hp. Taking into consideration that the US has stricter emissions laws I would imagine the USDM H22 was also tuned slightly less aggressively than the programming on the JDM model.

So taking both, how can a half point less of compression and a possibly more conservative tune make the same power as a motor which had neither of those?

Or was the JDM just underrated?

NOTE: The rating on the JDM motor was 200 PS (metric horsepower), which converts over to 197 HP (imperial horsepower). Which funny enough is between the 195 and 200 figures given over here in the states. And yes, Threadjack.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was about to go on a rant about how it was rated at 220PS, but that was in the type S prelude with a compression ratio of 11.0
The base(SiR) model did have the 10.6 and was rated at 200, along with the US's 10.0 200PS.
Very curious, hope someone knows.

EDIT: Could just have been marketing in the homeland.
It probably made more but was conservatively rated.
Or vice versa with Honda US uprating the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
say if I was to change the pistons only from my 97 type sh to the type s pistions. Can it be done without any other modifications to the car. No mods to the cams, ecu.. etc... Would I see any gains with just this switch?

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I can vouch for the fact the 2001 SH's have a larger diameter exhaust than the 1997 SH's as I have both in my basement...don't know if it warrant's 5HP but there is a difference.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
I agree the whole 195hp vs the 200hp was pure marketing, but what I would like to is how the USDM H22A4 is rated the same as the JDM H22A.
I'd think (and I'm totally pulling this out of my ass) that the 190 to 195hp thing was just marketing as well.

Heck, look at what the H22A5 was rated at as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts