Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL P0325 These two posts are up on another Prelude Forum with no responses. Hoping someone here can help...
Hey all. I have a 97 Base with 137K on the odometer. I have had the car for a year and a half now. About two months after the purchase it threw all kinds of CELs. I really don't remember every one of the codes. Anyway, long story short I replaced the distributor, spark plugs and wires, and ignition coil. Another couple months went by and the EGR valve, EGR ports and IAC were cleaned. Next the head gasket went out. Head was removed, shaved, and tested, with new valve seats installed. Skip forward a year to now and she has thrown the P0325 (Knock Sensor no. 1-Circuit Malfunction Bank no. 1 or Single Sensor) twice within the span of 2 weeks. It threw this code only one time in the past year and it was immediately after I had to fill her up with 87 octane. I was in the middle of nowhere and 87 was all they had and I had no choice but to use the 87.

Knock sensor was replaced (Duralast) and the code P0325 still comes back after a short drive. The code was cleared with my brother's Scan Gauge after the new one was installed. Obviously my stock sensor was bad, seeing that the plastic part of it was in pieces. The wire connector to the sensor and the wire looked perfectly fine. My wife also has a Prelude. A 2001 SH and her head and camshafts had to be replaced. During the head replacement on her car the knock sensor was bumped and it disintegrated instantly. She has the same Duralast sensor in the SH for five to six months now and there have been no issues at all with hers. Also my Lude ran fine before the replacement and runs / idles fine now. Absolutely no abnormal sounds or hesitation at all. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
371 Posts
when you reset the code does it come back right away?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, after just two or three miles the code comes back.

·
Registered
371 Posts
dies the sensor you bought have any kind of warranty ?

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Are you putting 93 octane in it? 87 might cause a knock, it shouldn't, but it might.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 year warranty.
I always use 93 octane. Besides the one incident that was in the above first post.

·
Registered
371 Posts
take it back get a new one see if that fixes your problem. they are very easy to break when your putting them in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Taking it back is a thought. Might be better to order the OEM part. But, knowing my luck the sh*t will probably happen again. Just wondering what else it could be? You know with the car running as well as it is. No one has encountered this issue before?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any more ideas? Anyone?

·
Registered
22 Posts
i had the CEL for the knock sensor, went to buy one to a KRAGEN auto parts store, installed it and that was the end of it... back to normal.... if the car is running normal, who know what could be wrong, i would suggest to take the sensor back and reinstall a new one... hopefully that does it....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I might just cough up the over $100 for the factory OEM Honda sensor and see what happens.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Yeah, I might just cough up the over $100 for the factory OEM Honda sensor and see what happens.
These sensors are very delicate as i learned from experience and even after almost 20 years automotive experience i'm still capable of breaking parts upon removal. The knock sensor being one of those fragile parts, especially after a 100,000 miles of use they can get real brittle. I was having a recurring DTC(p0325) after I serviced the EGR valve/EGR ports/IM/IACV and replaced necessary gaskets. At first I figured I didn't change the oil/filter quick enough and changed the oil/filter for a second time just to be safe. After about 400-500 miles of driving the DTC(p0325) came back and I decided to remove the knock sensor harness connector to visually inspect KS. The KS was so brittle it broke upon removing lead connector. I ordered a new KS(not reman) and I'm waiting to receive the part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
CEL P0325 These two posts are up on another Prelude Forum with no responses. Hoping someone here can help...
Hey all. I have a 97 Base with 137K on the odometer. I have had the car for a year and a half now. About two months after the purchase it threw all kinds of CELs. I really don't remember every one of the codes. Anyway, long story short I replaced the distributor, spark plugs and wires, and ignition coil. Another couple months went by and the EGR valve, EGR ports and IAC were cleaned. Next the head gasket went out. Head was removed, shaved, and tested, with new valve seats installed. Skip forward a year to now and she has thrown the P0325 (Knock Sensor no. 1-Circuit Malfunction Bank no. 1 or Single Sensor) twice within the span of 2 weeks. It threw this code only one time in the past year and it was immediately after I had to fill her up with 87 octane. I was in the middle of nowhere and 87 was all they had and I had no choice but to use the 87.

Knock sensor was replaced (Duralast) and the code P0325 still comes back after a short drive. The code was cleared with my brother's Scan Gauge after the new one was installed. Obviously my stock sensor was bad, seeing that the plastic part of it was in pieces. The wire connector to the sensor and the wire looked perfectly fine. My wife also has a Prelude. A 2001 SH and her head and camshafts had to be replaced. During the head replacement on her car the knock sensor was bumped and it disintegrated instantly. She has the same Duralast sensor in the SH for five to six months now and there have been no issues at all with hers. Also my Lude ran fine before the replacement and runs / idles fine now. Absolutely no abnormal sounds or hesitation at all. Any ideas guys?
i had a broken knock sensor 3 days ago and i never got a Check engine for it.. got one for $10 put it in and still never got a ks CEL car runs fine ..:jehon: .

for all i know is your engine that's screw up. and i would never put 87 gas i rather let the car run out and walk 5miles for the right gas then feed my baby trouble specially on summer never in my life. :?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts